Is There A Seasonal Period Anymore?

Dnking

FireFalcon
The Contract states that there are two different Seasonal periods. In the Summer (May-Labor Day), and also Peak Season (Nov-now Jan). I am a inside employee, and last year I signed a seasonal bid to drive. Well my building started using outside Seasonal Drivers on Oct 28. I filed a grievance for them using an outside Seasonal before using an inside Seasonal before Nov 1. Grievance was dead-locked went to State panel only to lose the grievance. Company say they did nothing wrong. Well this year my center has approval to start using outside, Seasonal drivers this week (week of Oct 15). Even earlier than they did last year. Doesn't make any sense to me. I guess we don't have Seasonal periods anymore. Should I try to file again?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The nov 1 seasonal period is essentially oct 1. Anyone hired after October 1 will not get their 30 days in before the free period starts.

Its sad really. 15% of our driver force this Xmas will be seasonal. Not because volume will be up that much but because we are so under staffed to begin with.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I don't understand how the company can win a panel decision to use off-the-street drivers instead of seniority PT'ers. What supplement are you under? It sounds like you're in the Southern Region.

PT Car Washer

The PT seniority drivers would be Air drivers that are already up to speed. Also have their PT hub or preload jobs that they have to perform. Those duties come first.

barnyard

KTM rider
I think brownslave described the angle. I could not figure it out either, but what he/she is saying, makes sense.

To the OP, you could try filing, but I doubt that it would go anywhere.

The new contract states that the freeze period will go up to mid jan. instead of dec 30th. But the start date for the freeze period starts the beginning of nov. Even if the locals are prolonging the contract, the master still passed. Maybe the panel is saying new rules on this one. If that's the case you are going to have to wait a couple of weeks.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
... Should I try to file again?
IMO you should file again. Go over the panel decision with your BA & steward; try to figure out why you lost last time, and if there is a different direction you/they can take the argument. Remember the time limit for filing, you can always withdraw the grievance if need be.

Dnking

FireFalcon
IMO you should file again. Go over the panel decision with your BA & steward; try to figure out why you lost last time, and if there is a different direction you/they can take the argument. Remember the time limit for filing, you can always withdraw the grievance if need be.

I agree. My center said they have to start Seasonals early to "train" them. My BA says if there training then a Sup should no on road with them. But the first day we see them go out by themselves then we are gonna file. Were gonna try again.

And yes I agree @Realperson. Under the new contract it does seem like they can use Seasonals most of the year. Just another loophole. PART-TIME AMERICA!!

happybob

Feeders
The company has to work under the old contract, since it was extended. If they are using the new language then they do have a problem. Where's my raise!

fedupups

In my local 804..u do the math...the supplement was passed (I voted no)...included Vacation Drivers...(VCD)...they also agree to extend peak...in essence UPS gets to use None-full time book drivers from end of may-to early September...then from October 15th to almost end of January..that leaves about 4 months or so that full-time drivers r used...what this means is that full-timers r a dying breed because they r needed only 4 months of the year and next contract I guarantee u that UPS will look to extend both of these periods..

Up_and_at_UPS

Coffee box sniffer
They started me October 3 to keep me under 30 in 90. I am supposed to be a single day coverage driver until free period. I have worked every day but one since the 3rd. It's a bunch of BS if you ask me, but at least I am working, just not gaining any seniority. Gotta work, just hate being shafted.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It expanded 2 weeks due to volume changes the first 2 weeks of Jan.

A clear cut submission to UPS in the contract.

Two weeks doesn't mean much, but the precedent is everything.

I've said it once, I'll say it again: I would rather a freeze in our wages and eliminate subcontracting and free work periods.

That is the long term security view for us. The short term view is bumps in wages and the continual creep of non-union workers doing our work.

Wages? We won. For years now, we have been the highest paid in the industry. So if we were smart, we would seal off the leaks and force UPS to use Teamsters, and not subcontractors to do our work.

How would management bargain with us when we said, "No thanks, our wages are good. You keep that money. We want more Teamster workers in our buildings and on the streets." They would be playing on our turf then.

Instead, our leadership thinks pricing us out of the labor market is the best strategy.

RealPerson

They started me October 3 to keep me under 30 in 90. I am supposed to be a single day coverage driver until free period. I have worked every day but one since the 3rd. It's a bunch of BS if you ask me, but at least I am working, just not gaining any seniority. Gotta work, just hate being shafted.

It is a shaft that MOST UPS people get, so we all consider it Normal.

I started oct 18 and on the contract I started on I did not get a raise till ONE year from seniority date. Well I didn't know at the time I could back date my seniority date to the Oct 18th since I never was laid off. So I went one year and 3+ Months before I got my $50 raise to $8.50..

Brownpride816

seriously? I started driving Full time Permanent on October 7th after being Dq'ed on a different center. Im supposed to be on my 30 days right now... you just confused me, Ill ask my supervisor and post the answer here tomorrow

Dnking

FireFalcon
seriously? I started driving Full time Permanent on October 7th after being Dq'ed on a different center. Im supposed to be on my 30 days right now... you just confused me, Ill ask my supervisor and post the answer here tomorrow

Did you sign a bid sheet for a full-time driver job? And how can you get "Dq'ed" from one center and, and start driving in another center?