Is there a three year plan?

tieguy

Banned
Reflecting back on the staff reduction events this year I'm starting to wonder if there is a three to 4 year plan for another reorganization.

Looking at those that remain shows many senior experienced staff level managers remaining. Rumors had those that ended up with jobs signing three year contracts.

That basically means a stable management structure for the next three years. At that point many of those folks will be old enough to retire.

Then what?

satellitedriver

Reflecting back on the staff reduction events this year I'm starting to wonder if there is a three to 4 year plan for another reorganization.

I am fairly sure there will be a "new" plan.
UPS tends to be a reactive to short term trends, and plays the catchup game.
We came late into the game, with the use of the advantages of technology.
Now, and in the future, technology will determine what the new plan will be.
Sadly, the human core element that made this company great will be slowly eroded by the new plans.
Just one mans opinion on the state of affairs.

Raw

Raw Member

Looking at those that remain shows many senior experienced staff level managers remaining. Rumors had those that ended up with jobs signing three year contracts.

That basically means a stable management structure for the next three years. At that point many of those folks will be old enough to retire.

Then what?
Management is getting more obsolete with technology, it`s a known fact that hourly`s run the operation. With computer dispatching,training videos and diad training you folks better start putting out your resumes! :wink2:

tieguy

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if there is a three to 4 year plan for another reorganization.

It seems to me that before we think about reorganization, we should first become "organized".

I don't disagree. Just taking a quick peak into the future. contract settles around july 2013. Maybe sooner if the company pushs hard for an early settlement. three year committments expire around that time with many people eligible to retire. Looks to me like another reorganization.

on a side note I wonder if the management posters here will ever be able to have a thread that does not get **** on by the management haters.

tieguy

Banned
Management is getting more obsolete with technology, it`s a known fact that hourly`s run the operation. With computer dispatching,training videos and diad training you folks better start putting out your resumes! :wink2:

its apparent you like to engage in self stimulation thinking about management getting canned. In this case I'm looking at a scenario where many people that may have retired sooner will have to wait three years before doing so.
many people leaving all at once. wondering if the company then downsizes again as they leave.

probellringer

its hard not to bash when we you never admit DRIVERS do run the place -we are never told when we do a good job-and you guys always stress the negative points about us---i make it a point to let my sup know everytime they screw up(EVERYDAY)but also i do let them know when they do a great job dispatching (3-5 days a month)dont they realize -you run the load =no headaches?

tieguy

Banned
its hard not to bash when we you never admit DRIVERS do run the place -we are never told when we do a good job-and you guys always stress the negative points about us---i make it a point to let my sup know everytime they screw up(EVERYDAY)but also i do let them know when they do a great job dispatching (3-5 days a month)dont they realize -you run the load =no headaches?

Drivers do a terrific job for us and their customer relationships drive our business. But they do not "run the place".

You guys can start your own thread to discuss a lack of respect from management. we have a wonderful labor forum here.

Raw

Raw Member
+1 I do the same thing!:happy-very:

JustTired

free at last.......
I'm not sure about a "three year plan"......but I do think that there is a plan to gut the core business (pkg delivery). After all.....it is the part of the company with the largest expenses (wages, equipment, etc.). As most corporations (and dare I say banks) look for ways to profit with the least amount of expense.....they will abandon their roots. We all know what the life expectancy is for a tree with shallow roots. But, whether it's three years or ten years...I do think the writing is on the wall. My first clue was when they changed the name from "United Parcel Service" to "UPS". A seemingly benign move at the time...but the removal of "parcel" from the name (I believe) was a calculated move for future events.

Raw

Raw Member
Drivers do a terrific job for us and their customer relationships drive our business. But they do not "run the place".

You guys can start your own thread to discuss a lack of respect from management. we have a wonderful labor forum here.
Actually we DO run the place. When management calls in no one notices, when a driver calls in management has to scramble to cover and even run the route for the day! Who`s job is more important? :winks:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not sure about a "three year plan"......but I do think that there is a plan to gut the core business (pkg delivery). After all.....it is the part of the company with the largest expenses (wages, equipment, etc.). As most corporations (and dare I say banks) look for ways to profit with the least amount of expense.....they will abandon their roots. We all know what the life expectancy is for a tree with shallow roots. But, whether it's three years or ten years...I do think the writing is on the wall. My first clue was when they changed the name from "United Parcel Service" to "UPS". A seemingly benign move at the time...but the removal of "parcel" from the name (I believe) was a calculated move for future events.

I thought you were going to say that they removed the word "service" from the name. I do agree that we will see even more diversification and a move away from parcel being at the core of the business.

probellringer

I thought you were going to say that they removed the word "service" from the name. I do agree that we will see even more diversification and a move away from parcel being at the core of the business.

weird you should bring that up.the oms that answers the phone in the am says "GOOD MORNING ,UNITED PARCEL" im sure its not done on purpose,but....

Raw

Raw Member
How come everytime I`m on vacation a certain management person is also off? Doesn`t he work or is he bed-ridden? :*******: