Is there a union recourse to refuse more work?

letticesandwich

Or must it always be work as directed. I finish my route, get a call to help another. No problem, I understand. I'll do 10-20 more stops. But I took 29 stops thursday, next day took 36. Friday ended up being a 196 stop day. That's peak man! Do I have any rights to say no to management? You fix your bad dispatch.

I did not care about it really. Today though makes me question practices and my rights. After getting the call to EC and come in, I get back and get told, not asked, to start on the local sort. I did not volunteer. I am low on seniority but still. I did my driving job, now because local sort people called out I must work another 3 hour shift? Is there union protection about this?

By The Book

How long as a driver? 8 hour request may be an option. I'm guessing you work hard and don't take all your personal time and may drive a bit over the speed limit. Now they reward you by telling you to help the guys who do take their personal time and don't speed and run. I could be wrong and if I am I'll take the heat for it. If you have over 4 years seniority or are assigned to a route for a week or more you do have some protections.

letticesandwich

Well thursday was light, 130 stops, mostly residential. I took a half hour lunch and get the call to help at 4 when I finished.

Friday was 160, same mostly residential route. Done at 4:45. Same half hour lunch break.

Usually when I finish I take my last half of break. Go to a corporate building to wash up and use the bathroom. I can't sit for an hour. Well I can, but I also don't want to be cold and in the dark.

I don't speed, its been :censored2: weather for weeks now. Its not hard you know? If I know where the stop is, as soon as a stop is done I forget about it, and next stop is what's up. 20 stops an hour is what I shoot for and that's not hard to surpass. I take my time and don't want to hurt myself. End of the day a 20 pound box ends up feeling like 40 pounds you know? Some days take 9 hours, some days take less. FT cover driver of 8 months.

Not concerned about that really though. Its seldom I get told to pick up extra.

Its more about today. I worked the driver job, (white out conditions at 3 p.m. by the way, only 80 stops done in 7 hours, that is not speeding) now I am required to work local sort when they deem necessary?

letticesandwich

Well, I did make those 36 stops go two hours of overtime Friday....

But really, I'm asking can I say na, I did my job, I'll pass on all the extra :censored2:, have a good day management!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Well, I did make those 36 stops go two hours of overtime Friday....

But really, I'm asking can I say na, I did my job, I'll pass on all the extra :censored2:, have a good day management!
1) That's still 18 stops an hour.
2) No, you have to work as directed as long as they're paying you driver pay to do whatever else they need you to do in the building. All it would take is a senior driver grieving the extra work you're getting over them and it would stop.

I don't know your seniority/driving status or local weirdness you have in your supplement though.

letticesandwich

Eh, 12 of those stops was an apartment complex. Drive four houses down the road. 30 minutes at most. Anyways...

Cool, I'll see if any senior drivers are wanting more OT. Also, this type of stuff will make me eligible for 9.5 list I believe.

O

OLDMAN3

As someone else mentioned, if you are on the same route for a full week you can file a 9.5 grievance. Make sure you know all the DOT hours of service restrictions, since they are making you work in the hub as well as drive. Make sure you are properly compensated for all time worked...Don't let them tell you after driving you have to sit off the clock till the sort starts. Make sure you are taking all your break.

Since you are a full time cover driver of over 8 months, I really doubt they can force you to work in the bldg after completing over 8 hours of work driving. In the Central Region at least, I am almost positive that would violate the Region supplement and you could file a grievance to stop it (BUG correct me if I am wrong). You have the right to two 8 hour days per month (if not 3 in some areas). In the Central you can bring the stops back as missed if you are going to be over 8 hours and gave them sufficient notice to take the stops off of you.

There are more protections as well depending on your area supplement. But it all comes down to how much are you willing to learn about your rights, and do you have the guts to stand up to them. If not, it will only get worse for you since they now consider you their whipping boy.

Last edited by a moderator:

542thruNthru

Or must it always be work as directed. I finish my route, get a call to help another. No problem, I understand. I'll do 10-20 more stops. But I took 29 stops thursday, next day took 36. Friday ended up being a 196 stop day. That's peak man! Do I have any rights to say no to management? You fix your bad dispatch.

I did not care about it really. Today though makes me question practices and my rights. After getting the call to EC and come in, I get back and get told, not asked, to start on the local sort. I did not volunteer. I am low on seniority but still. I did my driving job, now because local sort people called out I must work another 3 hour shift? Is there union protection about this?

Before anyone can really answer your questions.
1. Where are you?
2. Are you PT or FT

Where I am. They could not force me to work the sort after I had performed my primary duties for the day.

UPSGUY72

Well thursday was light, 130 stops, mostly residential. I took a half hour lunch and get the call to help at 4 when I finished.

Friday was 160, same mostly residential route. Done at 4:45. Same half hour lunch break.

Usually when I finish I take my last half of break. Go to a corporate building to wash up and use the bathroom. I can't sit for an hour. Well I can, but I also don't want to be cold and in the dark.

I don't speed, its been :censored2: weather for weeks now. Its not hard you know? If I know where the stop is, as soon as a stop is done I forget about it, and next stop is what's up. 20 stops an hour is what I shoot for and that's not hard to surpass. I take my time and don't want to hurt myself. End of the day a 20 pound box ends up feeling like 40 pounds you know? Some days take 9 hours, some days take less. FT cover driver of 8 months.

Its more about today. I worked the driver job, (white out conditions at 3 p.m. by the way, only 80 stops done in 7 hours, that is not speeding) now I am required to work local sort when they deem necessary?

If your a "FT cover driver" you only job is to drive period. Next time they tell you you have to work in the building after your drove tell them to go pound sand that not your job. Stand up for yourself.

First I would make sure that your a FT cover driver and Not a TCD. So ask your HR person or a Shop steward.

But if I came back to the building and they told me I had to work the local sort I wouldn't be punching out of the DIAD till I was done doing what ever they want to me to do getting paid $33.66 hr.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Keep doing more work, because that's what you are doing by putting lunch off. Bathroom time is not break time, it is on the clock time.

Take the full hour and watch as the stop count goes down.

Pooter

Establish early on that u don't want extra work. It's more cost effective to use you rather than a top rate driver.

There is a difference between "we need you..." and "can you..."

Always refuse even if they force you afterwards. At least it tells them that you don't like extra work.

Also, never finish before 5:30pm. :).