Is there any recourse?

UPSwife0174

......And we're back to famine. Worked 3 days last week, was almost sent home yesterday, but given a route to cover last minute (which actually brings up question #: Supervisor was going to give route to a seasonal driver, saying they had more seniority? Hubby has been there 14 years, and is a full time employee/cover driver. Does a seasonal employee ever have more seniority than a full time employee???) and then sent home today.

But here is my real question: One of the reasons he can't do a route he trained on and that is available is because ANOTHER cover driver is still in their 30 day probationary period to see if they can make the cut, and is being given that route to do. I understand peak is coming up, that's all fine and good, but right now, I care more our OUR FAMILY than UPS' work load and reputation come Christmas. I guess what I'm wondering is, does a full time cover driver with more seniority have any recourse when it comes to a situation like this? Why the hell did they hire more cover drivers when they can't even fully employ the ones they have?!?!?!? Seems to me when a person switches from a full time job to another full time job within the company, UPS should be held somewhat accountable to actually provide full time hours. (He does bid on routes every chance he gets, usually gets beat out by someone last minute. Different sup told him to let him know next time his name is the only one on a Friday, and the sheet will magically be pulled earlier; since two weeks in a row his name was the only one when he left the building at 6 on a Friday, only to have someone else with more seniority throw their name on last minute. Also shows up to work every single day, ready to work and puts his name on any route even if he has no clue what it is.)

Anyway, obviously UPS is looking out for themselves, and up until now there was never really any reason to go to the union. Is this something he should talk to the steward about or is it just one of those shut up & put up situations?

Bottom rung

Guaranteed eight hours of work if you aren't in the bottom ten percent. Just be prepared to scrub toilets. If they say they have no work and send you home you get six hours paid.

Overpaid Union Thug

......And we're back to famine. Worked 3 days last week, was almost sent home yesterday, but given a route to cover last minute (which actually brings up question #: Supervisor was going to give route to a seasonal driver, saying they had more seniority? Hubby has been there 14 years, and is a full time employee/cover driver. Does a seasonal employee ever have more seniority than a full time employee???) and then sent home today.

But here is my real question: One of the reasons he can't do a route he trained on and that is available is because ANOTHER cover driver is still in their 30 day probationary period to see if they can make the cut, and is being given that route to do. I understand peak is coming up, that's all fine and good, but right now, I care more our OUR FAMILY than UPS' work load and reputation come Christmas. I guess what I'm wondering is, does a full time cover driver with more seniority have any recourse when it comes to a situation like this? Why the hell did they hire more cover drivers when they can't even fully employ the ones they have?!?!?!? Seems to me when a person switches from a full time job to another full time job within the company, UPS should be held somewhat accountable to actually provide full time hours. (He does bid on routes every chance he gets, usually gets beat out by someone last minute. Different sup told him to let him know next time his name is the only one on a Friday, and the sheet will magically be pulled earlier; since two weeks in a row his name was the only one when he left the building at 6 on a Friday, only to have someone else with more seniority throw their name on last minute. Also shows up to work every single day, ready to work and puts his name on any route even if he has no clue what it is.)

Anyway, obviously UPS is looking out for themselves, and up until now there was never really any reason to go to the union. Is this something he should talk to the steward about or is it just one of those shut up & put up situations?
We haven't had a seasonal driver in over ten years so I don't know how they are dealt with in this situation. I do know that in my supplement (Southern) a fulltimer is guaranteed 8. Here the drivers that are still trying to make book (qualify) are laid off and the drivers such as your husband are able to work on the training routes.

On the rare occasion an unassigned driver is able to take the day off that allows the newbs to have another day in the book. Your husband is getting screwed. At least according to my supplement language.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I wonder if the route was a training route? Shouldn't matter anyway, the union driver always has seniority. Why did he go home? He is guaranteed his 8 hour pay.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not to be a jerk....but this is your husband's job...why isn't he finding these answers out on his own...talking with veteran drivers in his building or his steward?? He sounds pretty complacent for a guy who's worked for so long (and thus knows the games management plays). Why is he just agreeing to go home 2 or 3x a week?

I've worked here for 8 years. Hypothetically if I were sent home for a not enough work reason...and saw a single person with less seniority than me working, I'd be on the phone with my steward before I even walked out of the building.

UPSwife0174

Well, the 10% thing, if that goes by drivers only, then he IS in the bottom 10% most likely. He started driving almost 3 years ago, doing an AR route part time, then sorting the other half of his workday. Just went to full time (cover) driver April of this year. So going by that date, yeah he's low man....except for the handful now of people below him.

He said another new cover driver started this week too, and he got bumped for this person today as well. So far he has (successfully) learned 6 routes outside of the training route. He bid on a hated route for next week, so hopefully no one else signs up.

I think he realizes it's time to talk to the union. You can make whatever comments about this you want, he is a very laid back person, and hates conflict, so he shows up, works whatever they tell him, or goes home when they say. I'm the one getting fired up on his behalf. lol. I'm no stranger to big business.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well, the 10% thing, if that goes by drivers only, then he IS in the bottom 10% most likely. He started driving almost 3 years ago, doing an AR route part time, then sorting the other half of his workday. Just went to full time (cover) driver April of this year. So going by that date, yeah he's low man....except for the handful now of people below him.

He said another new cover driver started this week too, and he got bumped for this person today as well. So far he has (successfully) learned 6 routes outside of the training route. He bid on a hated route for next week, so hopefully no one else signs up.

I think he realizes it's time to talk to the union. You can make whatever comments about this you want, he is a very laid back person, and hates conflict, so he shows up, works whatever they tell him, or goes home when they say. I'm the one getting fired up on his behalf. lol. I'm no stranger to big business d@mmit.
If he reports to work on time...is he guaranteed his 8 hours for the day??

UPSwife0174

Not to be a jerk....but this is your husband's job...why isn't he finding these answers out on his own...talking with veteran drivers in his building or his steward?? He sounds pretty complacent for a guy who's worked for so long (and thus knows the games management plays). Why is he just agreeing to go home 2 or 3x a week?

I've worked here for 8 years. Hypothetically if I were sent home for a not enough work reason...and saw a single person with less seniority than me working, I'd be on the phone with my steward before I even walked out of the building.

Unfortunately it is just who he is: VERY LAID-BACK. He busts his ass and does his job well, but absolutely despises ruffling feathers. In the relationship world, well, this makes for a nice easy union, and makes him the guy you want to hang out with. In the work world, it leaves him open for getting screwed. It's that whole "nice guys finish last" thing. I think he is finally realizing if he doesn't take a stand, he's going to keep getting effed.

UPSwife0174

If he reports to work on time...is he guaranteed his 8 hours for the day??

No, I think the word is, if you work at least 3 hours, you're guaranteed 8. UPS has screwed him on this too, the couple times he's done a ride-around for 5 hours to learn a new route with the regular driver.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think he realizes it's time to talk to the union. You can make whatever comments about this you want, he is a very laid back person, and hates conflict, so he shows up, works whatever they tell him, or goes home when they say. I'm the one getting fired up on his behalf. lol. I'm no stranger to big business d@mmit.

I'm a very laid back person. Never been in a fight in my life. Start :censored2:ing with my family and SHTF. Tell your husband its time to grow a set and stand up for himself. Otherwise this company will walk all over him and you'll be furious about it all the time. There's no reason to raise your stress levels because your husband is a kitty.

UPSwife0174

Didn't you ask this question a couple of months ago? Like others have said, HE NEEDS TO TALK TO THE UNION!

Well back then he WAS the lowest man, so it sort of made sense that from time to time he would be sent home; there was just a worry that it would be ALL THE TIME and therefore he had made a mistake switching jobs at UPS. But now, he's got people under him who are sometimes given a route when he is sent home. So yeah, same cover driver clueless-ness on our part, but different scenario. I mean, you can't go complain to the union when you're the low man on the totem pole and there isn't enough work, but now? Yeah, he needs to make the call. At least now I think he finally realizes that himself.

But then again, things are run so crazy at UPS, that's why I like to read these forums; you can get a decent feel for what's normal or not, and maybe save yourself some grief & time.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well back then he WAS the lowest man, so it sort of made sense that from time to time he would be sent home; there was just a worry that it would be ALL THE TIME and therefore he had made a mistake switching jobs at UPS. But now, he's got people under him who are sometimes given a route when he is sent home. So yeah, same cover driver clueless-ness on our part, but different scenario. I mean, you can't go complain to the union when you're the low man on the totem pole and there isn't enough work, but now? Yeah, he needs to make the call. At least now I think he finally realizes that himself.

But then again, things are run so crazy at UPS, that's why I like to read these forums; you can get a decent feel for what's normal or not, and maybe save yourself some grief & time.
Asking questions of veteran drivers that he works with, and/or coming on BC anonymously and asking questions is not "ruffling feathers"...it's inquiring about what you are entitled to as a Teamster under the contract. The fact that his wife is on here asking all the questions instead of the employee speaks volumes. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but there's a big difference between being very laid back, and just not giving a smilet.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Remember that when one demands their hours after being so lenient , soon after they will be sent out with 13 hours of work on a 'hood route. I believe that's a proverb...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If he is a full time driver that made book and is on the seniority list, there is no way a temp or non seniority driver should be working first. Maybe he just volunteers to take the day off. Seen more than one do that over the years and hide that fact from the spouse.

UPSwife0174

The fact that his wife is on here asking all the questions instead of the employee speaks volumes. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but there's a big difference between being very laid back, and just not giving a smilet.

Yes I guess it appears that way, and you're free to think what you want. He spends 0 time on a computer. Me? I'm at work in front of a computer 9.5 hours, on a slow day, with nothing to do but try to get some answers. With other employee's feedback, I can tell him no, it's not just ME telling him to talk to the steward, but the majority of been-there, done-that employees who recommend it. Plus I'm good at articulating, where he is not.

Man Of Brown

Not trying to hijack the thread but I appreciate the comments here. I'm a new full time driver waiting to start my training route. I know I will come across this myself because they are talking about hiring more full time drivers plus peak drivers coming up.

CHALLY9TX

What supplement is he under? In my area you're guaranteed 8 hours period. Doesn't matter if you worked 1 min. You're still getting paid 8. Ask your husband if he's honestly being sent home or he's volunteering to go home. Sometimes I get asked to stay home when there are extra drivers. And I always tell the wife that I'm not working that day but I'm not getting paid.

Sent using BrownCafe App