Is there any truth to this rumour?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Rumor in our building is that UPS is going to cap all newly hired drivers under the 2013 contract at around $25/hour max. All of us current drivers would be grandfathered-in and get to keep our current hourly rates. Has anyone else heard this?
If it's true, then it really explains what's going on right now. If UPS keeps increasing the workloads and extending our hours then the current workforce is going to start crumbling. I've already seen it happening. In the past year, in our center alone, I've seen 3 drivers quit to start new careers and one driver leave for early retirement. 2 others had planned to keep working after their 30 years were up, but after last summer, decided they couldn't take it any longer.
Over the past 2 years or so, our center has lost 16 full time drivers to retirement, career changes, termination, transfers to other centers in our building, and carwash jobs. We also have 4 people on long term disability. 20 drivers short, and UPS hasn't hired a single replacement!
I am thinking they are trying to hold out until the new contract so they can hire drivers with capped wages.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

you are too cute... anyway, these rumors are going to get hot and heavy in the next year and a half..salary caps, early retirement, union recognizing production, come on people stop adding fuel to the fire...everyone said the last contract was going to be crap with no raises, etc and it was a FAIR contract...not great but fair. There are some on here who already think they know whats going to be in the next contract...its just rumors.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Rumor in our building is that UPS is going to cap all newly hired drivers under the 2013 contract at around $25/hour max. All of us current drivers would be grandfathered-in and get to keep our current hourly rates. Has anyone else heard this?

Above part rumor yes

If it's true, then it really explains what's going on right now. If UPS keeps increasing the workloads and extending our hours then the current workforce is going to start crumbling. I've already seen it happening. In the past year, in our center alone, I've seen 3 drivers quit to start new careers and one driver leave for early retirement. 2 others had planned to keep working after their 30 years were up, but after last summer, decided they couldn't take it any longer.
Over the past 2 years or so, our center has lost 16 full time drivers to retirement, career changes, termination, transfers to other centers in our building, and carwash jobs. We also have 4 people on long term disability. 20 drivers short, and UPS hasn't hired a single replacement!
I am thinking they are trying to hold out until the new contract so they can hire drivers with capped wages.

This part....makes you go hmmmm.....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
you are too cute... anyway, these rumors are going to get hot and heavy in the next year and a half..salary caps, early retirement, union recognizing production, come on people stop adding fuel to the fire...everyone said the last contract was going to be crap with no raises, etc and it was a FAIR contract...not great but fair. There are some on here who already think they know whats going to be in the next contract...its just rumors.

95% + on here is mostly rumors so what's your point. Rumors and predictions is what makes it fun.

idrivethetruck

95% + on here is mostly rumors so what's your point. Rumors and predictions is what makes it fun.
So when does the fun start? I clocked out at 9 tonight. 3rd night in a row over 9.5 even though I'm on the "list". I'll file on it and get paid, but what kind of life is this?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Last I knew, every preloader in my building is on Art. 7, whether it is legit or not. I believe UPS is going to use that fact to coerce the union into something, not sure what. If the union doesn't bow to whatever UPS wants, UPS will fire everyone on Art. 7.

It is an interesting thought.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Last I knew, every preloader in my building is on Art. 7, whether it is legit or not. I believe UPS is going to use that fact to coerce the union into something, not sure what. If the union doesn't bow to whatever UPS wants, UPS will fire everyone on Art. 7.

It is an interesting thought.

What does Article 7 cover?

menotyou

bella amicizia
ARTICLE 7. LOCAL AND AREA GRIEVANCE
MACHINERY
Except in cases involving cardinal infractions under the applicableSupplement, Rider or Addendum, an employee to be discharged orsuspended shall be allowed to remain on the job, without loss of payunless and until the discharge or suspension is sustained under thegrievance procedure. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any superiorprovisions in Supplements, Riders or Addenda shall prevail. TheUnion agrees it will not unreasonably delay the processing of suchcases.If the Employer and the Union cannot agree locally on whether anarbitration case involving any suspension or discharge should bepostponed, the issue shall be submitted for resolution to theEmployer’s Vice-President of Labor Relations and the PackageDivision Director, or their designees.ARTICLE 7. LOCAL AND AREA GRIEVANCE
MACHINERY
Except in cases involving cardinal infractions under the applicableSupplement, Rider or Addendum, an employee to be discharged orsuspended shall be allowed to remain on the job, without loss of payunless and until the discharge or suspension is sustained under thegrievance procedure. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any superiorprovisions in Supplements, Riders or Addenda shall prevail. TheUnion agrees it will not unreasonably delay the processing of suchcases.If the Employer and the Union cannot agree locally on whether anarbitration case involving any suspension or discharge should bepostponed, the issue shall be submitted for resolution to the Employer’s Vice-President of Labor Relations and the PackageDivision Director, or their designees.

This is why Psycho Susie is a shining star at Division Headquarters. She is Number 1 in the district for discipline. They actually keep track of that. These words came out of the teacher in Syracuse's mouth. That is why I think of this. I am so glad I am not on Art. 7.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It occurs after one warning letter. (And, that warning letter can be a false accusation. Doesn't matter.) It means you are working under pending termination. The labor sup in our area never pushes the issue. He just uses it in grievance meetings as a bargaining chip. I have witnessed it. I can't give details as it was a meeting but they are using it in my area, at least, already.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
If this is a "feeder" rumor-----ignore it.:happy2:

After 28 years with this company, I have learned that feeders are a good place to get inside information about this company.
They only hold a 2nd place to porters. All the porters I have known would dig through the trash in managements offices looking for some good rumor material.

idrivethetruck

...This part....makes you go hmmmm...
Then maybe this will give you more food for thought...They finally posted a list building-wide for driver sign-ups...TEMPORARY DRIVERS! Funny thing is, very few are signing up. They see the abuse we full-timers are enduring and most of them want no part of it.

CharleyHustle

Then maybe this will give you more food for thought...They finally posted a list building-wide for driver sign-ups...TEMPORARY DRIVERS! Funny thing is, very few are signing up. They see the abuse we full-timers are enduring and most of them want no part of it.

This really is the sticky wicket. The driver trainees in our barn are struggling mightily. Now, how many here think UPS will give those new 25/hr top outs lower production standards? Ho ho ho...ha ha ha, I almost busted a gut typing that.

packageguy

We all know that at some point, they will try something like top rate would take 5 years. Maybe 2 or 3 tier pay scale. Something will give.

40 and out

It doesn't matter what UPS tries to do. All that matters is what we vote to accept in 2013. UPS wanted a two-tiered wage with new drivers capped at $24 hr last contract.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
We all know that at some point, they will try something like top rate would take 5 years. Maybe 2 or 3 tier pay scale. Something will give.

Realistically, it's inevitable. It's going to happen in all industry. I sincerely hope they are successful at whatever they do (they haven't spoiled that yet). But not at my expense. I will not be thrown out like garbage.

themidnightoil

It doesn't matter what UPS tries to do. All that matters is what we vote to accept in 2013. UPS wanted a two-tiered wage with new drivers capped at $24 hr last contract.

I had a thought today that UPS may dangle a 'carrot' for full timers with over 25 years, maybe even all drivers that will be over $30 per hour with some kind of a buyout. with top pay at the end of the contract of $32 per hour for full time drivers, a drop to $25 with 5 years to make it to top pay would be a huge money savers UPS. all just a thought but could see a buyout offer happen after the contract to make room for new drivers at a much cheaper rate. still 2 years away, so lots of time for rumours and hopes.