Is this grievable?

Siekin67

Our supervisor is forcing our line to run short despite having full staffing as punishment for an essentially :censored2:ty night (wether the :censored2:ty night was our fault or the plants fault with management believing it's ours but maintenance backing us saying there really wasn't anything we could have done to make the line not jam). My main question, is this grievable? If so would it be more effective for the members on our line to file individually or as a group. Thanks.

InsideUPS

Our supervisor is forcing our line to run short despite having full staffing as punishment for an essentially :censored2:ty night (wether the :censored2:ty night was our fault or the plants fault with management believing it's ours but maintenance backing us saying there really wasn't anything we could have done to make the line not jam). My main question, is this grievable? If so would it be more effective for the members on our line to file individually or as a group. Thanks.

"Working short staffed" is part of the UPS culture and has been for many years.

Key points to deal with "short staffing" are as follows:

1) Work Safe. If the short staffing is causing hazardous conditions such as packages on the floor, etc., you can file a grievance on safety conditions. Also...make sure you always have 28 inches of egress to and from your work area. If not OSHA can be contacted per :
Design and construction requirements for exit routes. - 1910.36 | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

1910.36(g)(2)

An exit access must be at least 28 inches (71.1 center manager) wide at all points. Where there is only one exit access leading to an exit or exit discharge, the width of the exit and exit discharge must be at least equal to the width of the exit access.

Learn where you stop buttons are and use them anytime conditions are such that safety of the workers is being compromised. Work at a safe pace and remember to use all methods you were taught in your DOK training. It takes time to lift and lower properly. Ask for help for any over 70's or any packages that require a "team lift".

2) Place the burden of productivity on the company rather than yourself or your coworkers. "Failure to Plan on the part of UPS management does not constitute an emergency on the part of the hourly workers".

3) Know that all of UPS is understaffed including management. Expect high tensions at the operations level and understand that your supervisors are being directed by a Wall Street driven Corporate Board that has little idea what is happening at the "street level" of business. You are working in an era at UPS where corporate profits take priority over service..... This was not the case before UPS went public with their stock.

In summary....work smarter....not harder.

km3

Are you on the sort aisle? If so, in my experience they'll give you more people (whether they want to or not) if the belt shuts off enough times. Otherwise, just work at a safe and steady pace. Don't work faster or with a greater sense of urgency just because you're understaffed. Staffing is their job.

Over disciplined0123

Group grievances are always better

542thruNthru

It actually sounds like you are worried that management thinks you are doing a bad job. Really!?!? Who cares! If they reduce the work force to punish you for doing a bad job don't worry about it. YOU GET PAID BY THE HOUR!!!!! Hell, have fun reminding your supervisors of this as you keep your normal pace. Though I believe they are just telling you this story to try and make you work faster.

I'm sorry I actually can't stop laughing that you think management cut staffing to punish you. It's what they do everywhere! This excuse is a ploy that they are using on you to see if it will make you work faster.

Box Ox

It actually sounds like you are worried that management thinks you are doing a bad job. Really!?!? Who cares! If they reduce the work force to punish you for doing a bad job don't worry about it. YOU GET PAID BY THE HOUR!!!!! Hell, have fun reminding your supervisors of this as you keep your normal pace. Though I believe they are just telling you this story to try and make you work faster.

I'm sorry I actually can't stop laughing that you think management cut staffing to punish you. It's what they do everywhere! This excuse is a ploy that they are using on you to see if it will make you work faster.

It's a total psy ops thing. If a center manager isn't happy (even if you've got every reason in the world documented!), he calls you into the office post-PCM and tries to make you think your job is on the line. Many locals (mine included) don't communicate well enough that none of that office intimidation actually matters. I wish I'd become aware of it sooner than I did.

Siekin67

Had you bothered to read you would've seen that we were told it was to punish us, it wasn't my assumption. There's zero reason for you be a condescending ass in response. The only reason I asked this is because they frequently short staff my line as punishment (upper management not my specific sup) and my entire line is sick of it. We don't have good union representation (I wasn't here during the last election so I couldn't tell you why that is) at my hub so I asked the next best place. Turns out the result of if got them in trouble with their bosses so it's a mute point now anyways.

Last edited: