Is this job even worthwhile?

arice11

I have been doing a lot of reading and research. It seems most people are not happy with being part-time, and all I hear about is union corruption and such.
For me, the drive to the warehouse alone will cost me a good 10 dollars there, then another ten to drive back home. I read about hours cut and terrible work conditions.
So is working for UPS worthwhile? Especially as a part time preloader, and hearing about the lack of advancement and pay raise...
Will I show up on time everyday and work hard only to get shafted?
Maybe I'm just concerned about my life being wasted somewhere that takes more money from each check than is given.
Someone tell me that there is hope

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If you are spending a $100 a week on transportation, maybe you will have $50 a week left out of you check the first year. I would find something closer to home.

arice11

the center is on the opposite corner of town from where i live. I have a 4-banger 1997 nissan truck but her gas mileage isn't so great, I didn't know the warehouse would be so far from where I live. I took the job cause its a job.
I have a secondary job at subway that might help pay for gas, but idk, life is tough

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Still waiting for someone to tell him there is hope. . .

WHERE THE HELL IS SOMEBODY?

SOMEONE . . . GO FIND SOMEBODY!

Will you settle for ANYBODY?

PS - what base is who on again?

A

anonymous6

if it's costing you more money to work than what you make as you say, maybe you should go back to school and take a math class.

ups loves people like you. stay awhile and you'll be promoted to management.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
if it's costing you more money to work than what you make as you say, maybe you should go back to school and take a math class.

ups loves people like you. stay awhile and you'll be promoted to management.

I give him credit for working. If he took your advice, and sat home and collected unemployment or welfare, some would call him names like moocher or taker. Oh, wait, since he probably doesn't make enough to pay federal income taxes, they do anyway.

Original Poster -- for what you are making at UPS, you could almost make the same hourly wage at any retail/fast food joint. (Which you already know) So what is UPS' appeal? The eventual benefits? You have to figure out the tradeoffs and decide accordingly. Good luck!

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Let me ask you this. Besides the money aspect, why did you take the job? Are you single or have a family?? I ask this because, for me, a married guy and a couple of kids that was paying about $1,500/month for a descent health plan, this place is a dream job. Ya the work is hard & the money isn't great, but not having a huge insurance premium due every month, that's huge for me. If your young & single, that's another story; I wouldn't do it then.
Are you sure your small truck will cost that much for gas? I drive a 5 year old one ton Chevy to work, 15 miles each way, it doesn't cost me $20 a day.
I'm sorry life is tough right now. Good luck whatever you decide.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Curious OP, how big is your hub? If there is a good chance to go driving (in my hub while it has taken some 8-10 years to become a driver it doesn't have to be the case; I did it in one, but I am in a big metro hub that shares a seniority pool with another building, ergo, there are opportunities for advancement) it may be "worthwhile" to stay.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
That's nice---any chance you can actually read the thread and comment accordingly?

how is talking about going into management not thread-related?

lrn2comprehension

1344797699631.jpg
1344797699631.jpg