Is this new?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I had jury duty a few weeks ago. Got my normal pay for the day then noticed on the stub that there was $30 deducted from my salary. Its been a long time, but I could have sworn we had to turn our jury pay into UPS. My jury pay just arrived in mail today from the state auditor's office. It was also $30.

$1458.41 was my gross but got paid by UPS in the amount of $1428.41.

So, are we keeping it now and the company just knows to deduct it from what they pay?

jury.jpg

MattM

Wow. Never knew ups paid out jury duty. Does one have to be at court the entire 8 hrs? Can you get paid for multiple days and multiple juries? Or is it sort of a one time thing that resets every year?

A family member had jury duty in February and she called and waited and her number never got called. She sort of missed 4 days of work doing nothing. Is ups checking in on the courts to make sure we’re not lying?

scooby0048

That is correct. You get your regular pay minus whatever the court paid you.

Good thing the information is on BC. I was still under the impression we had to turn the checks in.

Wow. Never knew ups paid out jury duty. Does one have to be at court the entire 8 hrs? Can you get paid for multiple days and multiple juries? Or is it sort of a one time thing that resets every year?

A family member had jury duty in February and she called and waited and her number never got called. She sort of missed 4 days of work doing nothing. Is ups checking in on the courts to make sure we’re not lying?
jury2.jpg

scooby0048

I forgot to mention, it's Article 29 NMA.

ManInBrown

Got called for jury duty twice in my life. First time I wasn’t working for UPS. 9 day trial. Second time was working for UPS and went one day and was never called and told I didn’t need to come back. I was pissed. Still was in package. I would’ve loved a week off. It was dead of summer.

ManInBrown

Oh they absolutely check. You have to show the letter that you were called. You could be discharged for lying. When you go like I did for one day and was not called, they hand out tickets to anyone that needs one to give to employer to prove you were there. You would have to be really stupid to blow a 100K a year job by lying about jury duty.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I had jury duty a few weeks ago. Got my normal pay for the day then noticed on the stub that there was $30 deducted from my salary. Its been a long time, but I could have sworn we had to turn our jury pay into UPS. My jury pay just arrived in mail today from the state auditor's office. It was also $30.

$1458.41 was my gross but got paid by UPS in the amount of $1428.41.

So, are we keeping it now and the company just knows to deduct it from what they pay?

View attachment 309052
They deduced the glorious jury duty pay. Lol, that happened to me once. The next day I, ran so much over I made up the difference.

Johney

Got called for jury duty twice in my life. First time I wasn’t working for UPS. 9 day trial. Second time was working for UPS and went one day and was never called and told I didn’t need to come back. I was pissed. Still was in package. I would’ve loved a week off. It was dead of summer.
Guy I worked with got called for a murder trial he was gone a month and a half I think. I myself have never been called. My wife gets called at least once a year seems.

ManInBrown

Being called for grand jury duty here is the best. It’s every Monday for 16 weeks. I know of a few drivers that have gotten called for that.

MattM

Oh they absolutely check. You have to show the letter that you were called. You could be discharged for lying. When you go like I did for one day and was not called, they hand out tickets to anyone that needs one to give to employer to prove you were there. You would have to be really stupid to blow a 100K a year job by lying about jury duty.
Thanks. I wouldn’t lie. I was just wondering if you get paid for the 8 hours, if there is proof you were at the courthouse only an hour waiting to be called or interviewed. I guess you are either on call at home, or waiting there, it’s still time away from work.
Could you be called into work if you get a call at 9 saying you aren’t needed today at jury duty? Or is that a free jury duty pay day? Just trying to figure out the logistics if I ever get called.

barnyard

KTM rider
Being called for grand jury duty here is the best. It’s every Monday for 16 weeks. I know of a few drivers that have gotten called for that.
A friend of mine did that. She said it was horribly depressing. She was called for the court in Duluth, Mn. All the cases were for DWI and spousal/child abuse. She said that if she had a choice, she would not do that again.

I was called for a county jury in January. I was on call for 4 weeks and was called for 1 trial. The perp saw us walking in and copped a plea. Was all done at 9:20. My kind of day. Sitting in the jury room was kind of cool. I knew a lot of the jurors from my past life as a photographer and others that recognized me from the box company. It was like going to coffee with the farmers.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I've been on jury duty for 1 week in 30 years. After the 2nd day, I started towing my boat there. Done by 9:30, fished the rest of the day. They must have known I enjoyed it.... not one damn call since then. I could be a damn good career juror.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I used to go to jury duty like clockwork. UPS handled it 2 different ways. One time, they wanted check that the county gave me. Another time, I asked them if they wanted my check and they said they weren't worried about it.

scooby0048

They deduced the glorious jury duty pay. Lol, that happened to me once. The next day I, ran so much over I made up the difference.
Well, UPS just deducted what the county paid me. So as long as I don't have to turn my jury check over to UPS, I'm good. IDC where the money comes from it all spends the same.