Is this new?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I've been on jury duty for 1 week in 30 years. After the 2nd day, I started towing my boat there. Done by 9:30, fished the rest of the day. They must have known I enjoyed it.... not one damn call since then. I could be a damn good career juror.
This was my 3rd time getting called since I turned 18. Not once have I been selected. Oh well, their loss I could have convicted the hell outta someone.

PT Car Washer

Prolly don't like coppers on the jury. I only served on one civil suit. It was pretty boring.
I have been called up several times. Served on two Federal juries. One was a criminal case and the other a civil case. Show up around 9 AM, 1 1/2 hour lunch and off by 4:30 for the duration of the trial. 3 or 4 days. Felt like vacation as they were interesting cases and didn't have to get dirty and sweaty like a normal work day.

scooby0048

The lawyers can still smell it on you, but it's wearing off.
There were like 20 questions that I made it through. Then they pulled a fast one, "Is there anyone here who is related by blood to someone in law enforcement or themselves been in law enforcement?"

I was going to just not raise my hand but then I figured it would be all my fault if this guy got a mistrial because I didn't say anything. It wasn't even that good of a case like any of the part one crimes. Just some BS part 2 crime of battery. I definitely could have sat on that one!

Poop Head

Judge me.
There were like 20 questions that I made it through. Then they pulled a fast one, "Is there anyone here who is related by blood to someone in law enforcement or themselves been in law enforcement?"

I was going to just not raise my hand but then I figured it would be all my fault if this guy got a mistrial because I didn't say anything. It wasn't even that good of a case like any of the part one crimes. Just some BS part 2 crime of battery. I definitely could have sat on that one!
What difference does it make if you, or your family is a cop?

scooby0048

What difference does it make if you, or your family is a cop?
It shouldn't make any difference but it does. If you did something wrong would you want a person to judge you whose job it is to catch you and send you to jail or some janitor who gets drunk and occasionally slaps around his kids and wife.

ManInBrown

Thanks. I wouldn’t lie. I was just wondering if you get paid for the 8 hours, if there is proof you were at the courthouse only an hour waiting to be called or interviewed. I guess you are either on call at home, or waiting there, it’s still time away from work.
Could you be called into work if you get a call at 9 saying you aren’t needed today at jury duty? Or is that a free jury duty pay day? Just trying to figure out the logistics if I ever get called.
No this is the way it works. You have a number they tell you to call the night before. The jury letter has identifying numbers on it. Your letter will say 500 for example. You call the number and they say everyone between 1 and 501 report. You report. It doesn’t matter if you are there for ten minutes and sent home. You’re off that day, you don’t go into work. Obviously if your number isn’t on the recording go to work. Believe me, UPS knows. They have a way they can check.

Poop Head

Judge me.
It shouldn't make any difference but it does. If you did something wrong would you want a person to judge you whose job it is to catch you and send you to jail or some janitor who gets drunk and occasionally slaps around his kids and wife.
Well, whenever i do wrong, i man up and own it. Plead guilty.