Is this normal when working at UPS?

fres431

It's been a while, but I know we didn't have the classification bids here.

That said, it seems to me as though the OP wants to bump into an easier set of trucks to load. There is no bid procedure for that.
Correct cannot bump off sets, what you can do is have misloads, when asked while having misloads simply say your doing the best you can, then counter with how do you know I loaded and not another person? Misloads can be fought! Also asked to be trained by another hourly on set, then it takes 2 hourlies to load the set plus the trainer gets $1 hr more. Then next day ask to be trained again

Hateworkingaspreload

Correct cannot bump off sets, what you can do is have misloads, when asked while having misloads simply say your doing the best you can, then counter with how do you know I loaded and not another person? Misloads can be fought! Also asked to be trained by another hourly on set, then it takes 2 hourlies to load the set plus the trainer gets $1 hr more. Then next day ask to be trained again
So what am I supposed to do? I tell my sup that I want to be trained when I've been here for close to 8 months? Also whenever I ask for help, my supervisor loads, I tell him to get another loaded to help and he just ignores me, I don't bother grieving because the drivers that come grieve him everyday and I wouldn't get money for it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So what am I supposed to do? I tell my sup that I want to be trained when I've been here for close to 8 months? Also whenever I ask for help, my supervisor loads, I tell him to get another loaded to help and he just ignores me, I don't bother grieving because the drivers that come grieve him everyday and I wouldn't get money for it

The drivers should be grieving on your behalf, not theirs.

By The Book

If there's someone with less seniority in a gravy position(smalls sort,scanning or sure post area), you might try the physical condition route in the contract. There's also the doctors note route with a lifting restriction. Sometimes mentioning an on the job injury and needing to see their company doctor will get their attention. For now work as safe as possible and when you fall behind in 30 minutes let the sup load most of your set, which he doesn't seem to mind anyway.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
First off....why are you asking for help? We all have super heavy days once in while where we get backed up....but it shouldn't be a frequent thing. Eight months is long enough to learn the job. Keep up with the flow and load. The only time you should ask your coworker (not your sup) for help is with an over 70. If the supervisor starts loading.... because evidently you can't DO your job well.... ask why he's touching packages instead of sending a coworker to bail you out. If he refuses to stop loading....ask for your steward.

By The Book

Absolutely but if it is the preload sup helping the preloader should be paid, not the driver.
That's too simple, most preloaders and part timers are scared to file a grievance with such low seniority. Maybe that's something you can get into the contract if you feel that strongly about it.

By The Book

Absolutely but if it is the preload sup helping the preloader should be paid, not the driver.
Now if it was me as the loader and I asked the sup for a union member to help and he refused....and I let him/her know I'm filing on it, you bet that sup would be loading my set within the first hour every day!

fres431

That's BS the driver shouldn't be grieving your work, if they do the should kick you something

Hateworkingaspreload

First off....why are you asking for help? We all have super heavy days once in while where we get backed up....but it shouldn't be a frequent thing. Eight months is long enough to learn the job. Keep up with the flow and load. The only time you should ask your coworker (not your sup) for help is with an over 70. If the supervisor starts loading.... because evidently you can't DO your job well.... ask why he's touching packages instead of sending a coworker to bail you out. If he refuses to stop loading....ask for your steward.
Why wouldn't I ask for help? Did you not read the Op? I can't keep up with my flow if the dispatcher adds extra 100 pieces into my trucks each day. It's peak season everyday for me on my set. My slide is also a short slide, I have no room to sort for chit everyday. It is a frequent thing, it's every single day. Once again, read the op

Edit: you're right, I can't do my job well when my pieces that are coming down are 25-60lbs a piece and a chit ton of ghay :censored2: crossfit bumper 45 plates that crush my :censored2: fingers while trying to pick up.

And wrong, my supervisor loads because he's too big of a puccy to call my building manager out and get me another loader to help.

SmithBarney

I say hydrate yourself, after 7.5 months you've probably have lost some weight, and gained some muscle, your body conditioning has changed and you need to fuel it properly, which includes hydration, when unloading it was not uncommon for me to consume 2+ gallons of water during my shift, and Even then I would lose about 5lbs of water weight per shift(I weighed when I woke in the AM, and then when I got home after the sort) so I was still short about 1/2 gallon when working.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Why wouldn't I ask for help? Did you not read the Op? I can't keep up with my flow if the dispatcher adds extra 100 pieces into my trucks each day. It's peak season everyday for me on my set. My slide is also a short slide, I have no room to sort for chit everyday. It is a frequent thing, it's every single day. Once again, read the op

Edit: you're right, I can't do my job well when my pieces that are coming down are 25-60lbs a piece and a chit ton of ghay :censored2: crossfit bumper 45 plates that crush my :censored2: fingers while trying to pick up.

And wrong, my supervisor loads because he's too big of a puccy to call my building manager out and get me another loader to help.
Numbers mean nothing to me...this is the internet...people exaggerate. Bottom line is...get the packages into the proper cars as fast and safe as possible. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You need to protect your body from injuries so work smart. If you can't handle it physically by now...you may want to rethink your career choice. I loaded for years....and It DOESN'T get easier.. Your muscles get used to the work but there will be wear and tear of your joints that occur over time.

But they cannot hold you accountable for misloads if your sup, or any other loader is loading packages into your cars.