Is this retaliation?

Theichii

Today I was hanging around in the OMS office (seeing if anyone wanted me to take their place driving) and my steward asked me to hold a grievance document and give it to our center manager when I saw him. I said sure thing. Well the driver came in and saw me holding it and said make sure you get that to the center manager. So the center manager walks in and I smile and hand it to him ("Consider yourself served" j/k) and he walks in his office to sulk. Then I hear the printer just whirring it's little heart out printing out attendance records, follow-ups, concerns, just everything that says anything bad about this driver, all because he grieved a supervisor delivering a route the driver knew while he was considered "layed-off." I'm pretty sure this is retaliation but I can't be sure...

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
How can you not be sure??? It does not get any more blatant than that. You need to let your Steward and/or your business agent know exactly what you saw, Document the dates and times on paper so there is no problem with your memory. You could very well save a driver alot of hassel in the future with this information.

JonFrum

It's not retaliation until the Center Manager actually retaliates.

So far the center manager appears to be just researching, and possibly plotting.

But tell the driver, steward and/or BA. Definitely.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, the steward never should have asked you to hand the grievance to your center manager. The grievance did not concern you nor was any of your business and he should have done his job and handed it to the center manager personally or, if time was an issue, put the grievance in to an envelope with the words "For center manager's Eyes Only" or words to that effect on the outside and either handed it to another office person or slid it under the center manager's door. Second, the contents of an employee's file should have no bearing on the validity of a grievance, although we all know the opposite to be true.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Agreed, 100% Upstate, I am certain the Steward would not want his business spread around to whomever happened to be there! Besides the fact there are certain procedures to be taken care of when a grievance is presented tat a normal hourly would not know about. Not a good job by the Steward at all!!!

Theichii

Never looked at the grievance knowing that it is not my business. I would have never known who it was for until the actual driver told me to make sure the center manager gets it.

I'm still trying to figure out how you know what the center manager was printing out. Did you follow him into his office and look at what was coming out of the printer? Your story sounds fishy.

Theichii

Everything prints out in the OMS office face up and I was asked to grab it later while I was in there doing "Safety" work

City Driver

all because he grieved a supervisor delivering a route the driver knew while he was considered "layed-off.".

how does this actually happen????? supervisors actually hop in package cars and take off delivering packages??? i cant see how anyone could let that happen

dillweed

I agree that the steward messed up big time. He should have taken that grievance to the center manager himself. This would have offered an opportunity to discuss the problem, and hopefully have it resolved w/out going further.

As far as retaliation, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

bad company

semi-pro
how does this actually happen????? supervisors actually hop in package cars and take off delivering packages??? i cant see how anyone could let that happen

Basically... yes. They will usually wait until the drivers leave the building. But they usually get spotted by somebody anyway.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
How about he was printing off the documents he needed to fax to labor showing why he had to work a supervisor on road. Most on road supervisors just love running a route.......

705red

Browncafe Steward
How about he was printing off the documents he needed to fax to labor showing why he had to work a supervisor on road. Most on road supervisors just love running a route.......

If thats the case why did they go into management? The fact is they couldnt do the job anymore. And now they have nothing to do but relay the messages from above! The on car sup job could now be done by a monkey!

D

Dis-organized Labor

If thats the case why did they go into management? The fact is they couldnt do the job anymore. And now they have nothing to do but relay the messages from above! The on car sup job could now be done by a monkey!

The first ever monkey astronaut was Albert, a rhesus monkey, who on June 11, 1948 rode to over 39 miles on a V2 rocket. Albert died of suffocation during the flight

Please do not dishonor the noble monkey. It's not rocket science

Catatonic

Nine Lives
[/B]

If thats the case why did they go into management?

Money - on-road supervisor makes more than the highest paid driver.
Supervisor get to take lunches off trace.
No one berates him/her about their over-allowed the next morning.
Can take a day-off even if a higher seniority driver wants it off too.
Can sell any marijuana found in packages.
Don't have 3% of their salary extorted for Union dues to pay for stewards that don't have to pay dues.
Never get OJSed.
They get to pick the PC they deliver in and always get one with 3 point seat belt.
Never have to lock the bulkhead door.
DR anywhere they want to.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Money - on-road supervisor makes more than the highest paid driver.

You have obviously been out of operations for some time. On cars make no where near what we drivers make!
Supervisor get to take lunches off trace.

So do drivers and we get paid to drive to lunch!

No one berates him/her about their over-allowed the next morning.

We dont care what most on cars say, we know they have no power!

Can take a day-off even if a higher seniority driver wants it off too.
Can sell any marijuana found in packages.

To compensate for making less than the employees they supervise!

Don't have 3% of their salary extorted for Union dues to pay for stewards that don't have to pay dues.

That 3% covers our medical to, how much does your medical cost?
Never get OJSed.

Sure you do, every time a demonstrated ride happens, we ojs you!

They get to pick the PC they deliver in and always get one with 3 point seat belt.
Never have to lock the bulkhead door.
DR anywhere they want to.

Its funny every time a sup runs a route ut never shows their over under! Whos really hiding the numbers?

D

Dis-organized Labor

Today I was hanging around in the OMS office (seeing if anyone wanted me to take their place driving) and my steward asked me to hold a grievance document and give it to our center manager when I saw him. I said sure thing. Well the driver came in and saw me holding it and said make sure you get that to the center manager. So the center manager walks in and I smile and hand it to him ("Consider yourself served" j/k) and he walks in his office to sulk. Then I hear the printer just whirring it's little heart out printing out attendance records, follow-ups, concerns, just everything that says anything bad about this driver, all because he grieved a supervisor delivering a route the driver knew while he was considered "layed-off." I'm pretty sure this is retaliation but I can't be sure...

I like to sulk out in front of the workforce.......

It gives me an edge.