Is this right?

Hello all,

This would be my first post on this forum and apologize for the upcoming read. Its about half is just me venting frustration that I'm feeling from my hub.

I'm about two to two and a half months into my employment as package handler at my UPS center. I load three heavy trucks at the back of the belt after a one week general training period. The first month I was doing great with no misloads and keeping up with flow. I'm friends with my belt supervisor, along with most of every package handler and some other sup's.

This week, however; has been the worst time I've ever experienced. My trucks are getting doubled to triple their normal box count, while I get the usual 4 hours or less time to load. I get yelled at by management about stacking out and demotivated by the constant "our belt is the worst in the region". By trying to keep up, I've had a few misloads the past couple of weeks that has me now on their target list. Every day I get yelled at about misloads, if not then stacking out, or by one driver who demands a perfect clean truck.

One day I was surprised by a stranger while being overwhelmed with several bulk loads. I was greeted with "Since I've moved here, your name has always been on the misload list. How can we fix this? Do I need to teach you the proper method?", and I replied with no, and that I would try harder. The following day I was taken off my belt and yelled at by a higher up and the guy, who is in charge of stopping misloads, for refusing help. I was then schooled on why I should accept his help and that I was doing a poor job. When the misload guy was alone with me, he stated that he was tired of delivering my misloads and that my career will be shorter if it continues.

Now today I was sent home as soon as I arrived after a brief talk with a higher up. He stated that the only way for me to understand how serious my situation is, was for my pay check to be damaged. Thereafter he sent me home with no hours and said that I better gain a new perspective on my job here.

Am I in the wrong by thinking this is not how you treat employees? Especially ones who do a very hard days work for little comparable pay. Should I just start looking for other employment?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hello all,

This would be my first post on this forum and apologize for the upcoming read. Its about half is just me venting frustration that I'm feeling from my hub.

I'm about two to two and a half months into my employment as package handler at my UPS center. I load three heavy trucks at the back of the belt after a one week general training period. The first month I was doing great with no misloads and keeping up with flow. I'm friends with my belt supervisor, along with most of every package handler and some other sup's.

This week, however; has been the worst time I've ever experienced. My trucks are getting doubled to triple their normal box count, while I get the usual 4 hours or less time to load. I get yelled at by management about stacking out and demotivated by the constant "our belt is the worst in the region". By trying to keep up, I've had a few misloads the past couple of weeks that has me now on their target list. Every day I get yelled at about misloads, if not then stacking out, or by one driver who demands a perfect clean truck.

One day I was surprised by a stranger while being overwhelmed with several bulk loads. I was greeted with "Since I've moved here, your name has always been on the misload list. How can we fix this? Do I need to teach you the proper method?", and I replied with no, and that I would try harder. The following day I was taken off my belt and yelled at by a higher up and the guy, who is in charge of stopping misloads, for refusing help. I was then schooled on why I should accept his help and that I was doing a poor job. When the misload guy was alone with me, he stated that he was tired of delivering my misloads and that my career will be shorter if it continues.

Now today I was sent home as soon as I arrived after a brief talk with a higher up. He stated that the only way for me to understand how serious my situation is, was for my pay check to be damaged. Thereafter he sent me home with no hours and said that I better gain a new perspective on my job here.

Am I in the wrong by thinking this is not how you treat employees? Especially ones who do a very hard days work for little comparable pay. Should I just start looking for other employment?

This is normal. I don't understand why anyone works p/t at UPS unless they are sticking it out for a driver's job.

over9five

Staff member
Are you a Teamster? Where was your representation?

Is your friend the belt sup helping you?

He does what hes allowed to do. He gives me advice on making sure the package is in the right car and talks with the drivers to see how I can improve. However, I dont see him much because hes in charge of training 2 additional new hires on the same belt.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
He is still new Ovah and may have been mis informed as to how it works.And the EMPIRE took advantage of that..

Dragonblaze ... find out who the shop steward is and go to him !! even if you are paying to join the union and arnt In yet,you deserve help!!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ya its a daily thing and really, I've lost the want to work at UPS in general.
the volume is only going to increase as peak looms closer....I suggest you invest in an ipod and work on getting a thicker skin. Find your shop steward and tell him what's going on. Once you can show them you can do the job, they'll leave you alone. I can't speak for everyone, but the same crap happened to me when I was new....you're either determined to stick it out, or you quit.

Box Ox

Join the union so you can feel free to be like Arnold waiting for the Predator to enter his trap when supervisors who need to learn a lesson about harassment come to break you. You've gotta beat it back or they won't respect you. Stop the belt, call for help and give your supervisors grief right back if you can't work fairly safely and within the limits of your mere two hands. It's what I do when ridiculous flow is coming that nobody could possibly load. All that matters to them is their numbers until you make it their problem too.

[video=youtube;HGhP3p6lI3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGhP3p6lI3U[/video]

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hello all,

dragonblaze18,

Some very good replies to your issue have been posted here.

Question; What do you think the main reason for your misloads is?

Sincerely,
I

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
​No, im not a teamster and had no representation

You need to figure out what local covers your building and call the union hall. Ask to talk to the UPS Business Agent and tell him what's going on and that you'd like to sign a union card.

That's really the only way to fix this problem. You were suspended without just cause and are contractually entitled to that missed pay if you've made seniority.

dragonblaze18,

Some very good replies to your issue have been posted here.

Question; What do you think the main reason for your misloads is?

Sincerely,
I

I believe i misload when I get an overwhelming amount of boxes, such as a bulk stop mixed with my other truck packages, and im told to not stack out. I try to check the first 3 digits of every package to match the car, but end up going in with what i piled up from the belt.