Is UPS a future proof career?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Go to college...don't be like the rest of these people..this job takes overs your life...I mean look @UpstateNYUPSer ...can even leave the job at the building when he punches out...has to spend all his time on browncafe reminiscing of day past n days to come....go to college....work 9-5...you'll enjoy more in life believe me

I have my 4 year and 9 hours toward a Master's so you can bite me.

oldupsman

I'm going to disagree with most of the others here. Starting young at UPS is the key. Yes the job is physical
and injury is possible but if your smart and careful you may never get hurt. I spent 32 years in a package car and
was never on workmans comp. I think the tougher part is mental. Are you mentally tough? Showing up every day
and working 10 hour days to me was the true grind of the job. Not physically, mentally.

Some people see it as, well you ONLY get weekends and vacation. I saw it as, well I get my weekends and vacation.
You'll know exactly what is expected of you. How you handle those expectations is the key. That will come with experience.
You'll find out what things are important on the job. But you must be the kind of person who can let things roll off
your back.

trickpony1

The OP may want to consider:
The pay may not be as high as you think. Future contracts may require a longer progression and multiple tier pay scales.

The DIAD was developed for a reason. The intent was to "dumb down" the job so anyone can do it. I wouldn't doubt the company, at some contract, says, "....here's what we have to offer....take it or leave it.". If declined, they lock the gates and hire a new workforce off the street.

A very rich, retired manager told me, ".....some day this whole operation will be part-time". Think about that.

The company is clearly flirting with self-driving feeders. I know you've never been in one but mine will actually stop the vehicle if I fail to. It has an obnoxious warning if I drift left or right out of my lane. By the time you get to feeders there may be self driving tractors.

The company clearly dislikes a union workforce and the wages they demand. Ask the pkg car drivers here if there isn't a constant and continual program of harassment.

I would take Wally's advice. You are your own boss, you work when you want, your body is gonna get tore up at either job but, in my mind, I would say being a plumber or electrician may be easier on you. Good luck.
Dude. Become a Plumber or Electrician. Work hard and you can make more than all of us.

Dr.Brownz

I wouldn't doubt the company, at some contract, says, "....here's what we have to offer....take it or leave it.". If declined, they lock the gates and hire a new workforce off the street.

\

Yeah that worked out great for them in 97' when they lost $650 million in revenue over two weeks.

ManInBrown

There's plenty of money to go around. That doesn't mean they won't attempt at some point to implement a two tier wage system, but to think one day they'll try to make current drivers go backwards in wages is ludicrous. They would have to hire an entire new workforce. I would not do this job, for ONE PENNY LESS than what I am paid now. I'll find another job before I do that.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I can see UPS using driver free package cars in the future.

On these package cars will be a service/delivery person who will actually deliver the packages.

For a lot lower salary.

Foamer Pyle

Have to agree with many here are advising you. If you do get a part time job here, start working on a degree. I was lucky enough to take advantage of the earn and learn program, before they cut it. I have a Batchelor's degree now, that I intend to use when I leave UPS. The one thing you have an advantage over a person like me is, I had to drive a high step, manual, no power steering truck for 19 years. The new guys are all spoiled these days, having no idea how horrible the old trucks were to drive, and the adverse affects they had on your body. I have seen plenty of guys blow their backs out and never come back. Just this year I Injured my back, and didn't drive for 2 months. Even being very careful on this job, the years will take a toll on your body, and one little wrong move can be a career ender. Good Luck.

Mustacheyouaquestion

60 minute lunch
Hey everyone. I'm a 16 year old male who doesn't really plan on going to college after high school. I just want to get a job, work and make money, go home at the end of the day and enjoy myself, you know? I don't feel like spending more of my life in school once I'm finished with highschol. UPS seems to pay really well and the job can keep you inshape. I'm seriously considering making UPS a career. College doesn't guarantee anyone will get a good job once they get their degree, plus I have heard of stories of people who work at UPS and make more money than people with degrees. Let's not forget the college debt. I just want to be free spirited after high school. I want to work, and get my life started. If I plan on making UPS a career I'll get a part time job at UPS (since I hear you can't start off full time) and then I'll work my way up until I'm full time. I plan to work my way up until I'm a feeder driver. Anyways, I really don't see the point in going to college when I could get a good job with nice pay and benefits, all WITHOUT a degree. I shouldn't have to spend my time going to college just to get some fancy label like "doctor" or "engineer" or "web developer" etc. Because at the end of the day, all jobs have one thing in common. And that is, that they are JOBS! There will always be something that I dislike about a job and will always be something that I do like about it no matter if I go to college or not. As long as it pays well and I'm enjoying myself, I don't see a problem.

Anyways, I'm also wondering. Is UPS a future proof career? What I mean by that is. I don't want to work for UPS, work my way up the ranks and what not and Just have UPS disappear off of the face of the earth lol. Any feed back on this?

Why should I put myself in debt, waste my life in school, when I could get the same/if not BETTER benefits from UPS? I'm also prepared for the hard work. It'll be nice to have a job to keep me in shape. At least I'll feel like I truly earn my money.
Probably but nothing is full proof. Of course by then they will have telamactics in your shoes and pen.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Think "marketability".

Those with advanced degrees are more marketable should something happen to the job that "....make the same as you...".

It's sometimes called "Plan B".

What's your point?
It's called don't be a jackass and lose your job...if your gonna do something so bad the union cAnt fight for you then maybe ur just a :censored2:...

Plan A....don't be a :censored2: to the point of losing your job