Is UPS a future proof career?

Ragin Cajun

You should probably pursue a higher education. Yes, college is a gamble. I have a bachelors of science in Industrial Technology. I couldn't find much with the current oil crisis down here as everything is dependent upon it. I'm sure I could relocate, but don't really want to. I don't plan on working at UPS any longer than I have too. We're compensated well but we deliver in the elements for sometimes 12 hours in a day. I'll be 25 in October, so my body isn't broken yet. I really want to end up doing residential contracting on the side; but finding time will be the issue lol.

brett636

Given how robotics threatens the livelihoods of just about everyone who is working today I cannot state that the jobs at UPS or any job for the matter is truly "future proof". I get what you are saying about not going after a college degree. They have become overpriced and undervalued. I know many people with college degrees who make significantly less than I do and have a lot lower job satisfaction as well. Not to say college degrees are worthless, but you have to have a plan on what you wish to do with that college degree. Too many current college students as well as graduates just believed that they would be on easy street once they achieved their degrees, and many had no idea how they wanted to utilize their degree. This is why many college graduates end up in fields completely different than what they studied. Going after a career at UPS or any other skilled trade can provide a very good living, but its still going to take time and hard work to get to that "good life". Starting out part-time at some UPS facilities can mean a decade or more of waiting till you can get a fulltime position, and once you achieve that you have to wait 4 or more years to get to top rate all the while being forced to do the work all the higher seniority guys don't want. As the saying goes crap rolls downhill and that is especially true at UPS.

Honestly my best advice is that you learn a skilled trade over just focusing on making a career with one company. UPS is just like any other company as we are one bad CEO away from bankruptcy so making your life plans on this one company being there for you for the 40+ years you have in the workforce may not be the safest plan. Have a skill that you can take from one company to the next so that if UPS or any other company for that matter doesn't fit you you are not stuck dealing with a situation that you hate for decades, or worse yet end up without said job and without a skill set that other companies are willing to pay you for. Those skills I am referring too can be anything from electrical work, plumbing, welding, carpentry, truck driving, etc. as these jobs are coming into a higher and higher level of demand given the number of parents who steer their kids away work they believe is "below them" when they do actually provide a solid living.

Finally, whatever you do, be smart with your money. Don't fall into the trap so many people your age do as they enter the workforce. Don't spend every dime you make on frivolous items like new cars. Put as much as you feel comfortable with away and live a modest lifestyle that is below your income. Time is on your side and the more time you have to put money away for your future the more future you will be able to enjoy.

Goodluck going forward!

rod

Retired 22 years
If I was you I would get a job at UPS's training center where they are teaching monkeys how to drive trucks.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
A HS diploma is basically just a piece of paper.

A 2 year degree is little more.

You need your 4 year degree if you want to do anything substantial with your life.
False...I make more than 90% of my friends with degrees and I'm not even top scale yet...ttku Dan. I also don't have college debt where I paid to read books and learn things I'd probably never use.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
How long will it take you to do his job?
I'd start off at $26.56 an hour which is more than I make now..I'm at $19.50...it's a five year apprenticeship...by the time I hit five years it will probably be well over 60 an hour...I don't want to leave ups since I've been here five years almost but that is crazy money

By The Book

I'd start off at $26.56 an hour which is more than I make now..I'm at $19.50...it's a five year apprenticeship...by the time I hit five years it will probably be well over 60 an hour...I don't want to leave ups since I've been here five years almost but that is crazy money
Whatever you do don't leave before you have 5 years of pension credit. UPS is a package deal, you have to look at all the benefits and costs to receive those benefits. If your say 30 now you'll be able to retire with a pension at 55. Walk away do what you want and get paid, not so bad.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Whatever you do don't leave before you have 5 years of pension credit. UPS is a package deal, you have to look at all the benefits and costs to receive those benefits. If your say 30 now you'll be able to retire with a pension at 55. Walk away do what you want and get paid, not so bad.
Do my 4 part time years count for anything towards the pension? You don't get anything if you stay five years and leave do you? I know a guy who said he was gonna work 7 years preload then leave and never understood why

By The Book

Do my 4 part time years count for anything towards the pension? You don't get anything if you stay five years and leave do you? I know a guy who said he was gonna work 7 years preload then leave and never understood why
1.yes...2.yes, but not until like age 65. You have to know how many hours you need to work to receive a pension credit. The money you earned towards your pension sits in an account until you can collect it. As I said earlier you can leave around 55 with a full pension.

LuckyDucky

Hey everyone. I'm a 16 year old male who doesn't really plan on going to college after high school. I just want to get a job, work and make money, go home at the end of the day and enjoy myself, you know? I don't feel like spending more of my life in school once I'm finished with highschol. UPS seems to pay really well and the job can keep you inshape. I'm seriously considering making UPS a career. College doesn't guarantee anyone will get a good job once they get their degree, plus I have heard of stories of people who work at UPS and make more money than people with degrees. Let's not forget the college debt. I just want to be free spirited after high school. I want to work, and get my life started. If I plan on making UPS a career I'll get a part time job at UPS (since I hear you can't start off full time) and then I'll work my way up until I'm full time. I plan to work my way up until I'm a feeder driver. Anyways, I really don't see the point in going to college when I could get a good job with nice pay and benefits, all WITHOUT a degree. I shouldn't have to spend my time going to college just to get some fancy label like "doctor" or "engineer" or "web developer" etc. Because at the end of the day, all jobs have one thing in common. And that is, that they are JOBS! There will always be something that I dislike about a job and will always be something that I do like about it no matter if I go to college or not. As long as it pays well and I'm enjoying myself, I don't see a problem.

Anyways, I'm also wondering. Is UPS a future proof career? What I mean by that is. I don't want to work for UPS, work my way up the ranks and what not and Just have UPS disappear off of the face of the earth lol. Any feed back on this?

Why should I put myself in debt, waste my life in school, when I could get the same/if not BETTER benefits from UPS? I'm also prepared for the hard work. It'll be nice to have a job to keep me in shape. At least I'll feel like I truly earn my money.
Get a trade. Become really expert at welding, mechanics, electric. Tradesmen, especially licensed electricians, are paid extremely well. Your hourly rate would be more than double a UPS drivers rate. No one knows what the future holds, but having a trade means you will be employable where ever you are. Also, if you like what you do, if its your passion, it wont feel like work and your whole life will be happier. Maybe you havent found out what you really like. That is ultimately what college is for, finding out what you want to do. But it is an expensive way to do it these days, unless someone else is paying for it. You need to find out what you would love to do and move in that direction. Theres a famous book called 'What Color is My Parachute' It cant hurt.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If you want a career become a marine mechanic .
They are always in demand and you can pick where you want to live & work .
And the perks can be great too.
I know of a local kid who was so liked by his boss , that the boss gave him his own yacht.
Another went to a Maritime School and is now working on a 3 week on & 3 week off schedule keeping a tug boat going .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

how long ago did you get that degree and post-grad,....if you're like me it's NOTHING. Things have changed so much, that a college degree achieved 20 years ago ain't worth squat

I have not been in a classroom since 1989 so, yes, the degrees themselves "ain't worth squat"; however, they are still a personal achievement that I am very proud of, especially considering the fact that I completed the 4 year and the masters work while married and starting a family.