Is UPS terminating its union contract at the end of the year?

GarlicCrust

I was told that UPS and Teamsters have not been able to come to an agreement on a renewal and it will result in us not being represented by the union. Has anyone else heard this recently?

rod

Retired 22 years
Although UPS could cut ties with the Teamster Union any time they wanted too by decertifying it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone but Upstate that is---he don't count.

rod

Retired 22 years
They would have to close the doors for a year to do what the op said in his post. Decertification is a whole different story.

Am I correct that at any time the employees can vote to decertify the Union? Yes I know it would be suicide to do so but its possible isn't it?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Although UPS could cut ties with the Teamster Union any time they wanted too by decertifying it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone but Upstate that is---he don't count.
Yes, the membership of any Local can decertify at any time, but would be considered "at will" employees for a full year before they could be organized, or enter into a collective bargaining agreement, with another union.

I hear rumblings of it from time to time here, but do all I can to dissuade any notions of it.

LeadBelly

Banned
Yes, the membership of any Local can decertify at any time, but would be considered "at will" employees for a full year before they could be organized, or enter into a collective bargaining agreement, with another union.

I hear rumblings of it from time to time here, but do all I can to dissuade any notions of it.
+1

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I was told that UPS and Teamsters have not been able to come to an agreement on a renewal and it will result in us not being represented by the union. Has anyone else heard this recently?
Always right down the names of who tell you incredible information. That way, when you find out it's a lie, you can remember which people to approach and call out.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

I expect another union flop. Ups will give us a 3 to 5 yr contract. With a 3 dollar raise. With no changes. Possibly a bonus. That will suck in the few pt votes they will need for it to pass.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I expect another union flop. Ups will give us a 3 to 5 yr contract. With a 3 dollar raise. With no changes. Possibly a bonus. That will suck in the few pt votes they will need for it to pass.

I expect several big surprises, to include a push to switch more employees in to the company pension plan and a two tiered wage structure for new FT hires with a one time signing bonus to ensure ratification.

I would personally like to see the PT starting wage increased, with an option for a higher wage in lieu of health benefits, and the right for drivers to wear neatly groomed beards.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I expect several big surprises, to include a push to switch more employees in to the company pension plan and a two tiered wage structure for new FT hires with a one time signing bonus to ensure ratification.

I would personally like to see the PT starting wage increased, with an option for a higher wage in lieu of health benefits, and the right for drivers to wear neatly groomed beards.

Uh.... there is a thread for contract proposals. :biggrin:

Feel free to participate. You're more than welcome.

The right for drivers to wear neatly groomed beards.

That's a company policy, that could be changed at anytime.

Not something.... that should be bargained for.

There are more important things.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Uh.... there is a thread for contract proposals. :biggrin:

Feel free to participate. You're more than welcome.

That's a company policy, that could be changed at anytime.

Not something.... that should be bargained for.

There are more important things.

-Bug-

I have been told that this issue is discussed during every contract negotiation.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I have been told that this issue is discussed during every contract negotiation.

It's a supplemental issue, and very low (nonexistent) on the priority list.

You might not be aware;

That the "upper echelon" of UPS management flipped out....

When their negotiating team allowed a "grandfather clause" for UPS freight.

-Bug-

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Always right down the names of who tell you incredible information. That way, when you find out it's a lie, you can remember which people to approach and call out.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
A Company with a national Contract has to have the whole country decertify at the same time by the employees. The Company has no say in the decertification. That is one of the reasons it has been impossible to organize Fedex. They are under the Railway Act and has to be organized all at one time instead of location by location. I just don't see that happening. Most employees understand how bad the Company is now and have an idea of what it would be like without them.

TheCreepo

Two tier wage scale ? That would be a nightmare in the sense that us at top rate would be harrassed and targeted because of this scale ... imagine a cheaper and younger alternative..

ski or die

Ski or Die
Two things. First - the company always tries to low ball and come up with new negotiating tactics. Ok, we will drop this if you give us this (probably wants us to give up our health insurance). Second - tactic to scare employees, especially the part timers. As a former steward who is retired, I seen this during our negotiations quite a few times. Stand together and strong. The last strike did not help them publicity wise. And with the mood of the nation against companies moving jobs and low wages, another strike would be a disaster for UPS.