is voluntary lay-off an option

chopstic

I've read the term "voluntary lay-off" used a couple times here. There are part timers at my building that never see hours because the volume is low. Considering that they want hours and I dont at this point in time, is it actually an option to take a voluntary lay-off?

some1else

if there is VLO available they will post a bid sheet. generally there has to be quite a bit of overstaffing before they post it otherwise they just coerce people into going home day-by-day so they dont get understaffed

evilleace

Here we had the option of taking a week off at a time this was about a month ago though the drivers and pt employees had this option.

chopstic

if there is VLO available they will post a bid sheet. generally there has to be quite a bit of overstaffing before they post it otherwise they just coerce people into going home day-by-day so they dont get understaffed

That's weird... you have to bid to NOT work. Usually it's the opposite, you have to bid to work. I would gladly take a couple months non-paid layoff if i could.

I've read the term "voluntary lay-off" used a couple times here. There are part timers at my building that never see hours because the volume is low. Considering that they want hours and I dont at this point in time, is it actually an option to take a voluntary lay-off?

If you are the senior employee tell your sup that you would like to exercise your seniority and be the one to leave when enough work is done to the point that someone can be sent home thus allowing junior people to stay.

jack4ever

UPS4Lifer
We have had this problem at our center as well. There are four of us, and the job is a three person job. The fourth guy was a cover driver, but now drivers are getting laid-off so he wanted to work local sort with us (since he is technically a local sorter). We all volunteer to take one day a week off so that he can work three days a week. We aren't getting many hours, but we're trying to be as accommodating as possible in these tough economic times.

chopstic

Well I would like to be a VERY nice guy and volunteer myself for a good 3 month lay-off. I just doubt management would let me.

gandydancer

Well I would like to be a VERY nice guy and volunteer myself for a good 3 month lay-off. I just doubt management would let me.

The Union has to agree too.

Teamster News
UPS NMA 02 - 08
UPS NMA 08 - 13

"ARTICLE 16. LEAVE OF ABSENCE

Section 2.
Any employee desiring leave of absence from employment shall secure written permission from both the Union and the Employer. The request for leave of absence shall be made in writing at least thirty (30) days before the day on which the leave is sought to commence. If the leave is not foreseeable, the employee shall submit the written request as soon as possible and shall include an explanation why the leave was not foreseeable. The Employer and Union shall respond to the request in writing within ten (10) days after receiving the request. The maximum leave of absence shall be for ninety (90) days and may be extended for like periods. Permission for same must be secured from both the Union and the Employer. During the period of absence, the employee shall not engage in gainful employment, except as provided in Section 3 below.
Failure to comply with this provision shall result in the complete loss of seniority rights for the employees involved. Inability to work because of
proven sickness or injury shall not result in the loss of seniority rights. The employee may make suitable arrangements for the continuation of health and welfare and pension payments before the leave may be approved by either the Local Union or the Employer."