Is your volume down?

rampman

just curious what kind of numbers facilities out there are doing. In Philly were down to around 10-12 planes a night under 80K

S

splozi

As a preloader, at my center, I must say volume has been up for July/August, compared to Jan-Jun.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We were heavy last week since its back to school time. Normally we are light with route cutting on Monday, heavy during the middle of the week, and a little bit light on Fridays.

barnyard

KTM rider
I just went to the Doctor last week and had 2 alien eggs pulled out of my ears. I have been able to turn the volume down on all my music appliances.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
According to actual numbers or what management says?
Taken from United Parcel Service Inc (UPS) Class B UPS Q2 2012 Earnings Call Transcript

Kurt Kuehn - CFO: Well, thanks Scott and good morning. The second quarter results released this morning, which produced earnings per share growth of 7.5%, are solid considering the change of pace in the global economic environment that Scott alluded to earlier. On a consolidated basisUPS daily volume improved 2.7% and operating profit was up 4.6% with 40 basis points of margin expansion, this points to the flexibility of our product portfolio and the efficiency of the UPSnetwork.

UPS experienced gains in Next Day Air letters again this quarter, reversing a long trend of declines. Ground package volume was up 3% over half of this growth was attributable to a 25% increase on lightweight products. Revenue improved a little over 4%, as expected, average revenue per package was up less than 1%. Yields across all products benefited from base pricing, but were offset by faster growth from large customers and changes in product mix. We continue to see rapid growth in lightweight and saver products both of which have lower yields.
Although they do have lower yields this volume continues to contribute to our productivity gains. Average daily volume was 3.5% higher, while miles driven and direct labor hours were up only about 1% and block hours actually declined. Savings in direct pay roll costs were not enough however to overcome growth and benefit expense. Healthcare jumped over 7%, while pension related expenses were up more than 10%. Overall, a good quarter in the U.S. Domestic aided somewhat by the fuel surcharge lag.

L

Loufan

Yes and No. Last summer our sort was getting so much volume they decided to split up our sort. I guess they were sick of us getting 9+ hour Mondays and OT on Tuesday and Wednesday. So my shift is getting less volume now but the building in general has seen a big increase in volume. I'm still getting OT though on Monday and Tuesday just not as much.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Taken from United Parcel Service Inc (UPS) Class B UPS Q2 2012 Earnings Call Transcript

Kurt Kuehn - CFO: Well, thanks Scott and good morning. The second quarter results released this morning, which produced earnings per share growth of 7.5%, are solid considering the change of pace in the global economic environment that Scott alluded to earlier. On a consolidated basisUPS daily volume improved 2.7% and operating profit was up 4.6% with 40 basis points of margin expansion, this points to the flexibility of our product portfolio and the efficiency of the UPSnetwork.

UPS experienced gains in Next Day Air letters again this quarter, reversing a long trend of declines. Ground package volume was up 3% over half of this growth was attributable to a 25% increase on lightweight products. Revenue improved a little over 4%, as expected, average revenue per package was up less than 1%. Yields across all products benefited from base pricing, but were offset by faster growth from large customers and changes in product mix. We continue to see rapid growth in lightweight and saver products both of which have lower yields.
Although they do have lower yields this volume continues to contribute to our productivity gains. Average daily volume was 3.5% higher, while miles driven and direct labor hours were up only about 1% and block hours actually declined. Savings in direct pay roll costs were not enough however to overcome growth and benefit expense. Healthcare jumped over 7%, while pension related expenses were up more than 10%. Overall, a good quarter in the U.S. Domestic aided somewhat by the fuel surcharge lag.

What are "block hours"...

Is lightweight products code for basic packages??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Great job everybody...thanks for working efficiently and safe....just thought I'd throw that out there since you won't hear it officially from anyone within the mgt ranks of the company

anonymous4

Volume is down, we should forgo raises in the next contract and concede some of our current pay. It is important for us to do this so UPS remains profitable while not allowing FedEX to gobble up even more of our volume.

Returntosender

Great job everybody...thanks for working efficiently and safe....just thought I'd throw that out there since you won't hear it officially from anyone within the mgt ranks of the company

MGT"you need to work faster" ME" I'm Saftey by Choice, smile then look for a package test for shifting contents, grab opposite corners,lift with steady motion, move my feet and place the package on the correct belt. "

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

In other words: "Volume is down. Cut costs, get sales leads".

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

UPS is already greasing the wheels for contract negotiations !!!!!