Isaac

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
U get days off? We worked the day of and the day after a 23 inch blizzard two winters ago. The answer though is no u don't get paid unless u work.

packageguy

Up here in the east, no work no pay, an act of nature, but dont worry when you come back to work 12 hours a day to catch up. so enjoy your days off. lol

themidnightoil

if you have any sick/option days left, it will be used for any missed days due to emergences. if you have used all sick/option days up, you will not get paid. enjoy the overtime the next few days playing catchup.

Johney

Up here in the east, no work no pay, an act of nature, but dont worry when you come back to work 12 hours a day to catch up. so enjoy your days off. lol
This is correct here also and they will not shut down unless there is a Hurricane warning. I worked a tropical storm last year(can't remember the name, Emily?)but it took me over an hour to get on area when 35 minutes is the regular travel time.I don't think Fed-Ex worked that day. I think they got burned a couple of times over the years jumping the gun on shutting down only to have the sun out.

What sucked was most business was closed and having to bag EVERY DR.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Nope, no pay, buts its very rare to get a day off from a hurricane. Read this warning from the NWS on Katrina yrs ago...Scary stuff -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------WWUS74 KLIX 282139
NPWLIX

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
413 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE KATRINA CONTINUES TO APPROACH THE
MISSISSIPPI RIVER DELTA...
...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.
PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD
FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE
BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME
WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A
FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY
VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW
CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE
KILLED.

packageguy

Yes bad enough, when it rain on a regular day but a hurricane thing everything flying around. I just tie the bag to the door or railing, and hope for the best...lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are notified prior to your start time that operations have been suspended you will not be paid, unless you use personal time. If you are at work or on your way to work they have to pay you for your guarantee, whether it be 3.5 or 8. They will either find work for you to do or will send you home and pay you for the day.

DownSouthUPS

M*ther friend*cker has already been said enough times since they put us in a direct hit!

It's a Category 1 for goodness sakes. A lot of wind and a lot of rain. Minimal damage.

It has it coming in as a category 2 with major flooding!! 105 mph winds! I don't wanna go thru this again (post Katrina) this is my first hurricane to go thru as a home owner. Been thru many hurricanes though!!