Isaac

texan

Sad pictures of the struggle that is no longer on our mind:
slide_246884_1458221_free.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No offense to anyone in the thick of this horrible weather situation, but...............

Shouldn't some thought go into whether or not its wise to live below sea level with water pumps ensuring that you are walking around in water to begin with, in an area that is a direct path for hurricanes?

Just a thought.

Exactly!!!!! Just as one of my friends said after Katrina. When you live in a bowl......

menotyou

bella amicizia
This breaks my already shattered and beaten heart into so many pieces. I don't understand the selfishness of people sometimes. Aren't they members of the family, too? Or, are they so easily discarded because they never really mattered to begin with???? God, this makes me cry.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This breaks my already shattered and beaten heart into so many pieces. I don't understand the selfishness of people sometimes. Aren't they members of the family, too? Or, are they so easily discarded because they never really mattered to begin with???? God, this makes me cry.

While this may be the case with a small minority of the evacuees, the majority are torn over having to leave their pets behind. Most of the shelters are not set up for animals and those that are quickly become overwhelmed. When it comes down to whether I can save my family or my pet(s) I choose to save my family.

texan

This question was posed by Dr. Jeff Masters on Weather Underground.
I do not know an answer but it is something to ponder.

Did the new $14.5 billion upgrade to the New Orleans levee system cause worse flooding elsewhere?

Whenever a new levee or flood control structure is created, you make someone else's flood problem
worse, since the water has to go somewhere. Where did the water was stopped by the new
$1.1 billion, 1.8 mile-long Lake Borgne flood barrier on the east side of New Orleans go?

Did it flow south and contribute to the overtopping of the levees near Braithwaite?

Or did it go north and contribute to the 36 hours of storm surge in excess of 5' observed along the
Mississippi coast at Waveland?

I posed this question to NHC's storm surge expert Jaime Rhome, and he said it was impossible to
know without doing detailed storm surge modeling studies.

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Unanswered questions concerning Hurricane Isaac | Weather Underground