Issues with Article 41 and the FT Progression Period

APTxDriver

I'm here to bring up an issue myself and some other FT Drivers have come across with Article 41 and the "red circling" of some employees and not others. I am 2 years into my Top-Pay Progression and 10 years with the company. We have been witnessing a growing amount of TCD drivers hired to FT within months. The company is growing and I am proud of that but there is a problem in which when those TCD drivers receive their seniority date to become FT, they are not being "red circled" along with the rest of the FT drivers in Progression. Recently, February 2018 brought an annual raise for all Non-Progression employees. Somehow, these drivers I'm referring to who received a seniority date, initiating their FT status which in turn begins their Progression, have received an annual raise. I am currently working with a Steward to enlighten this issue to the right people, but I need other outlets to hear this issue too.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm here to bring up an issue myself and some other FT Drivers have come across with Article 41 and the "red circling" of some employees and not others. I am 2 years into my Top-Pay Progression and 10 years with the company. We have been witnessing a growing amount of TCD drivers hired to FT within months. The company is growing and I am proud of that but there is a problem in which when those TCD drivers receive their seniority date to become FT, they are not being "red circled" along with the rest of the FT drivers in Progression. Recently, February 2018 brought an annual raise for all Non-Progression employees. Somehow, these drivers I'm referring to who received a seniority date, initiating their FT status which in turn begins their Progression, have received an annual raise. I am currently working with a Steward to enlighten this issue to the right people, but I need other outlets to hear this issue too.
Your raises will be incremental throughout your progression and are a set amount, until you reach top scale.

You won't realize any raises until you complete your progression.

This post was edited, as I regressed to past contracts, only to find clarity when I stood up, sorry.

Last edited:

clean hairy

I am not to where I can reference the contract, but I am in the Souther as well.
I believe it states that employees hired before a certain date are red circled.
Perhaps another person has the Southern Supplement they can check to see if I am correct on this.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Article 41 isn't the issue.
You need to read article 49 section 7 of the southern supplement.

TCD's are red circled at 85% of top rate when they go from PT to FT. When there's a general wage increase, FT drivers who were previously TCD's receive 85% of the raise, which keeps their pay at 85% of top rate. Once they've been full time for 4 years they go to top rate.

FT drivers who weren't TCD's get their progression wage increases on their anniversary dates.

APTxDriver

I am looking at Article 49 section 7, I see (B) states the rate of pay for part-time coverage work shall be 85% of the prevailing package car driver rate of pay. But I see no specific mention of a TCD to FT driver being "red circled." This is where the loop hole exists in my opinion.

Edit: Also, to be clear to everyone. I am understanding of my raise-progression. This thread ISN'T about when my next raise is.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I am looking at Article 49 section 7, I see (B) states the rate of pay for part-time coverage work shall be 85% of the prevailing package car driver rate of pay. But I see no specific mention of a TCD to FT driver being "red circled." This is where the loop hole exists in my opinion.

Edit: Also, to be clear to everyone. I am understanding of my raise-progression. This thread ISN'T about when my next raise is.
Red circle is a misused term most of the time. What I'm saying is their pay doesn't go down. The reason they're getting a raise is because they make 85% of top rate, and the top rate went up. If you weren't a TCD, you're going to make less, there's no way around it.
Here's what you're looking for:

(B) The rate of pay for part-time coverage work shall be eighty-five percent (85%) of the prevailing package car driver rate of pay.
(E) Part-time coverage employees who complete a thirty (30) day qualifying period for a coverage position will not have to complete another probationary period if they are a successful bidder for a regular Full-time package car position. Additionally, he/she will not suffer a reduction in pay rate.

APTxDriver

I'm not expecting a reduction in pay. What I'm addressing is the "loophole" of these TCD to FT drivers not being "red circled" and payroll giving them NON Progression raises. When they are given their FT status, they are given a seniority date, which is the ONLY date they should be receiving any increase in wages. These aforementioned TCD to FT drivers have received a February raise. This is the issue with Article 41 and now 47. The status of these newly turned FT drivers is not clearly defined in all ways. They are now in Progression stages and should receive NOTHING for 4 years until they jump to top pay. That is the "catch 22" of going TCD to FT driver.

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
TCD's are not red circled.

They maintain the 85% of top rate, so if top rate goes up they do also.

Your making what you should. Drop it.

What is you goal to take their raise away?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What is you goal to take their raise away?
Capture.PNG

APTxDriver

Very mature conversation this turned into.

Pizza: You've missed the entire point. These are former TCD drivers now in their FT Progression stages. They should not be eligible for any NON Progresion raises until their annual seniority date hits.

This is the issue at hand. There is no direct language in the contract telling payroll to not give these employees their raises.

DriveInDriveOut: Again, you're not understanding that I'm not discussing their current pay rate. It is clearly written what a TCD starting pay rate is. What is NOT clearly stated is how to handle a TCD to FT drivers' raises. They are not being "RED CIRCLED" therefore they are slipping through the cracks and receiving unjust raises. They are going to reach top pay before someone with more seniority.

saintrick

You just don't like the answers.
They will reach top pay at 4 years just like everyone else. They just make 85% of full rate till then.
I know it sucks they make almost 10 more an hour but thats just the way it is.

APTxDriver

That would make perfect sense for a TCD driver to continue receiving the 85% of full rate and if the top pay goes up, then so would their percentage. But these drivers I'm referring to are no longer TCD drivers. They have now progressed into their FT progression stage. Therefore the 85% of full rate doesn't apply.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
DriveInDriveOut: Again, you're not understanding that I'm not discussing their current pay rate. It is clearly written what a TCD starting pay rate is. What is NOT clearly stated is how to handle a TCD to FT drivers' raises. They are not being "RED CIRCLED" therefore they are slipping through the cracks and receiving unjust raises.
find the term red circle in article 49 section 7. Hint: you won't.

542thruNthru

That would make perfect sense for a TCD driver to continue receiving the 85% of full rate and if the top pay goes up, then so would their percentage. But these drivers I'm referring to are no longer TCD drivers. They have now progressed into their FT progression stage. Therefore the 85% of full rate doesn't apply.

So pretty much what this boils down to is you're upset that a former TCD will hit top rate quicker then someone who started FT and not TCD.

Jaxkson05

So pretty much what this boils down to is you're upset that a former TCD will hit top rate quicker then someone who started FT and not TCD.[/QUOTE yup with union dues and 41k and United way coming out of people check it’s hard to survive with 400.00 check a week cost living is going up people can’t find a place to stay with rent