'It's not your 9 to 5 job:' UPS trying to attract younger drivers in tight labor market

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
'It's not your 9 to 5 job:' UPS trying to attract younger drivers in tight labor market - ABC Action News

Sean Holland has driven the same route for work every day for more than 20 years. He says it hasn't gotten boring yet.

"It's not your 9 to 5 job," Holland said. "If that's what you're looking for, this isn't it."

Holland is a UPS driver in suburban Denver. He took the job in the early '90s, and since 1995, he's been driving the same truck: Bertha.

"I've had her, next month, it will be 26 years," Holland said. "The old girl, she comes out full to the gills every day. I get rid of all that, and then we do another pickup run in the afternoon and fill it back up. There's a sense of accomplishment that goes along with that."

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I don’t disagree with the sense of accomplishment. But it comes at a helluva price. Long days in all types of weather, time away from family, stress, wear and tear on the body. Also you have have integrity and good work ethic. Unfortunately, not many are willing to pay that price today.

allahuakbar

She/Her
I don’t disagree with the sense of accomplishment. But it comes at a helluva price. Long days in all types of weather, time away from family, stress, wear and tear on the body. Also you have have integrity and good work ethic. Unfortunately, not many are willing to pay that price today.
I’m just here cause the checks cash.

11.19igrad

I keep my browns and still feel sad when I think about Integrad and people starting to remember me on my route.

But when I get to bolt for the door at 4am sharp after walking around talking on a radio, I mean 🤷🏽‍♂️ .

im not "raking it in" but im over $60k just starting out. especially after realizing what a scam 22.4 is, and the nashville traffic and bathrooms, covid, masks in 500 degree weather, rollaway or not, covid would have done it for me.

I would have rolled the truck into a "karen" on purpose over the mask :censored2: anyway and gladly served my time. 🙂

...until i got shanked. 🔪😒

so, im happy to be in a warehouse 7:40pm-3:59am and BOLT for the door. 🤷🏽‍♂️

i still have a lot to figure out. this isnt the end of the road for me by any means. but it doesnt hurt the resume for sure.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I keep my browns and still feel sad when I think about Integrad and people starting to remember me on my route.

But when I get to bolt for the door at 4am sharp after walking around talking on a radio, I mean 🤷🏽‍♂️ .

im not "raking it in" but im over $60k just starting out. especially after realizing what a scam 22.4 is, and the nashville traffic and bathrooms, covid, masks in 500 degree weather, rollaway or not, covid would have done it for me.

I would have rolled the truck into a "karen" on purpose over the mask :censored2: anyway and gladly served my time. 🙂

...until i got shanked. 🔪😒

so, im happy to be in a warehouse 7:40pm-3:59am and BOLT for the door. 🤷🏽‍♂️

i still have a lot to figure out. this isnt the end of the road for me by any means. but it doesnt hurt the resume for sure.
@CoolStoryBro the thing is Nobody Cares