I've decided not to give to United Way through UPS

Over9.5

After some thought I've decided I will no longer give to United Way through UPS. I will still donate to them, but will no longer do it through work. I refuse to let UPS take credit for my donation. It's not that I need to be recognized for giving, I don't. But the continual poor treatment of the rank and file has caused me to change. Has anyone else changed their thoughts about it?

I've found that the brown cafe is no place to express your views on wether or not yiu give or don't give to a charity. People are easily persuaded to the left or the right on this site. Keep your views private and let people make their own choice. They don't need your help

Over9.5

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to do anything. I'm just asking if anyone has changed what they have done in the past regarding their donations.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I'm not trying to persuade anyone to do anything. I'm just asking if anyone has changed what they have done in the past regarding their donations.

A lot of feeder drivers in our area have decided not to give to United Way this year because our feeder department has started moving a lot of our start times forward to "cut costs". So those drivers told our managers that they, like UPS, had to cut costs also, citing their new start times, preventing them from donating this year.

DorkHead

A lot of feeder drivers in our area have decided not to give to United Way this year because our feeder department has started moving a lot of our start times forward to "cut costs". So those drivers told our managers that they, like UPS, had to cut costs also, citing their new start times, preventing them from donating this year.

That is as good as a reason as any.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I like to give directly to a selected group rather than using a third party like UW, I can be sure more money actually goes where I want it to go .

I've found that the brown cafe is no place to express your views on wether or not yiu give or don't give to a charity. People are easily persuaded to the left or the right on this site. Keep your views private and let people make their own choice. They don't need your help

I think it's the perfect place for Ovah or any other to post THEIR feelings on the matter. He did nothing more in his post other than to say "I ". If he had tacked on a " and I think you should do the same" then your concern would be valid IMO. BC allows us to pick the minds of others without it being personal. People on here are adults and they'll make up there mind either way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our start time was pushed forward to 9:30 which basically took an hour of OT away. I turned in my online UW contribution receipt and my center manager asked my why it was significantly lower than last year. I told him that charitable contributions are made from discretionary income and since you took $40/week out of my pocket I have had to adjust my UW donation accordingly from $50/week down to $10/week.

I will continue to support UW through UPS due to the 15% match.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Our start time was pushed forward to 9:30 which basically took an hour of OT away. I turned in my online UW contribution receipt and my center manager asked my why it was significantly lower than last year. I told him that charitable contributions are made from discretionary income and since you took $40/week out of my pocket I have had to adjust my UW donation accordingly from $50/week down to $10/week.

I will continue to support UW through UPS due to the 15% match.

If what you say is true, then your center manager is a fn loser for even comparing a previous contribution !!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
It is true and I don't blame him for asking as I would ask if I were in his shoes. I disagree with your fn loser comment as he is a good man.

Sorry Dave, you are ignorant !!! If I handed your sheet in and my center manager made a comment, I would take the paper back and put $0/ a week

His comments are wrong and only show everyone why the process is screwed up !!!!

I am not arguing with you and respect your donation style ! :)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'll continue to contribute through the company simply because the payroll deduction is an easy way to do it. It doesn't bother me that the company takes some credit for it because I don't have an emotional investment in how UPS manages it's business and it's employees, I'm just here for the paycheck.

brownboxman

I believe we are paid very well. Does UPS treat us poorly otherwise? Absolutely!!! Do they seek the glory of our contribution? Absolutely!!! Should those two things be used as reasons to not help those less fortunate in our community? My belief is no. If you want to use your charitable giving as a way to stick it to UPS go to United Way or the charity of your choice, get a reciept for your gift, staple it to the United way form from UPS and write 0 on it. They will get the message. Even with cuts some have mentioned here there are real needs of others.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Sorry Dave, you are ignorant !!! If I handed your sheet in and my center manager made a comment, I would take the paper back and put $0/ a week

His comments are wrong and only show everyone why the process is screwed up !!!!

I am not arguing with you and respect your donation style ! :)
You gotta give his center manager one thing. He's smart. Look at how far away from the hub/DM his center is. :winks:
And, this trip is made longer because they always stop at my center cuz they can. :(

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...w&oq=ups+northern+blvd,+&t=h&gl=us&mra=ls&z=8

I think it's the perfect place for Ovah or any other to post THEIR feelings on the matter. He did nothing more in his post other than to say "I ". If he had tacked on a " and I think you should do the same" then your concern would be valid IMO. BC allows us to pick the minds of others without it being personal. People on here are adults and they'll make up there mind either way.
Ok I'll give you that but I still don't think an opinion given to so many possibly easily persuaded people is the right thing to do. I get that talk every year from my boss about how I feel about this charity shouldn't be preached to my members and I respect it.

kingOFchester

First year I gave as I "felt the pressure" to give even tho I could of used a hand out. Then when I went full time I decided that I wanted to give to a charity of my choice. But do to my hectic life, I never got around to it. This year I gave through UPS as it will insure that I have given back to those who are in need.

packageguy

After some thought I've decided I will no longer give to United Way through UPS. I will still donate to them, but will no longer do it through work. I refuse to let UPS take credit for my donation. It's not that I need to be recognized for giving, I don't. But the continual poor treatment of the rank and file has caused me to change. Has anyone else changed their thoughts about it?

I can understand what you did., you have the right. I still give I do for the children. that just me.