Jerk businesses (just venting)

TG43

I'm really tired of these a-hole customers (at businesses). It's usually something to do with them thinking I'm "late". Whatever the friend that means to them, because I'm there before they closed.

Like today I get to a business at 4:00 and apparently it's the expensive super computer they have been waiting for. They have to call the guy from down back because I guess he's got x-ray vision and tell just by looking if the computer is going to work. So he tells me they've been "waiting all day" and I need to note damage (there were holes in side of box for handling, one ripped as I grabbed it in the truck) Then he hemmed and hawed looking at it like wtf hurry up homie (it was very obvious to me that computer-thingy was absolutely fine). I always wonder what these people think I'm doing all day? Think I will politely tell them what it is. I shouldn't be so nice waiting for these people btw.

I'm just pis.sed I didn't say anything to him/them. I've learned not to allow to be stepped on. I clocked out at 8:45. Must be nice to be done at 5.

Just drives me nuts these people think I'm there punching bag. I will be setting them straight. Also hate how when I do my pick ups 90% of the people are gone @ 4:00, must be nice.

I don't really have a good mentality for dealing with these a-holes (wish I did). And I hate working til like 8. Yes I'm looking for another job.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Problems, problems, problems all day long... :(

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1434173099.701374.jpg

SCV good to go sir.

I'm really tired of these a-hole customers (at businesses). It's usually something to do with them thinking I'm "late". Whatever the friend that means to them, because I'm there before they closed.

Like today I get to a business at 4:00 and apparently it's the expensive super computer they have been waiting for. They have to call the guy from down back because I guess he's got x-ray vision and tell just by looking if the computer is going to work. So he tells me they've been "waiting all day" and I need to note damage (there were holes in side of box for handling, one ripped as I grabbed it in the truck) Then he hemmed and hawed looking at it like wtf hurry up homie (it was very obvious to me that computer-thingy was absolutely fine). I always wonder what these people think I'm doing all day? Think I will politely tell them what it is. I shouldn't be so nice waiting for these people btw.

I'm just pis.sed I didn't say anything to him/them. I've learned not to allow to be stepped on. I clocked out at 8:45. Must be nice to be done at 5.

Just drives me nuts these people think I'm there punching bag. I will be setting them straight. Also hate how when I do my pick ups 90% of the people are gone @ 4:00, must be nice.

I don't really have a good mentality for dealing with these a-holes (wish I did). And I hate working til like 8. Yes I'm looking for another job.

I keep dealing with these inspector gadget types as well. I'm losing patience with this bull:censored2:. I swear, one of these days I'm just going to take the box in the middle of their inspection and start walking towards the truck. When they object I'll just be adamant about signing for it now and inspecting it at their leisure or state that I understand that they're refusing the package. And then I'll give my center the heads up, because this :censored2: is getting ridiculous.

ArcherUTR

Sounds like you are headed down a bad path. Be more like Bruce Lee and the water that flows around the boulder.

Don't be pushed around, but mostly keep your mouth shut, put the ball in their court by letting them know what their options are according to UPS protocol and how they want to handle it. If they can't or don't like the choices and you have been patient and respectful enough...give them the 1-800-PICKUPS ph# and tell them that you will come back tomorrow to ask again.

TG43

Thanks SCV and Archer.

This business and people there are usually fine btw. It was just a big deal to them this computer-thing was a couple thousand $ I guess.

I feel I needed to draw the line when they told me Jim-bob down back needed to come up and look at it. How would you handle this? How do you explain there options? I genuinely want to get better at dealing with these people.

He didn't do a damn thing different than either of the 2 people in the office did btw, except after staring at it he gave me a hard time then signed. Either person in the office could have signed.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Sounds like you are headed down a bad path. Be more like Bruce Lee and the water that flows around the boulder.

Don't be pushed around, but mostly keep your mouth shut, put the ball in their court by letting them know what their options are according to UPS protocol and how they want to handle it. If they can't or don't like the choices and you have been patient and respectful enough...give them the 1-800-PICKUPS ph# and tell them that you will come back tomorrow to ask again.

Only two options.
1. Sign
2. Refuse.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes, customers can be a pain. The best way to deal with them is to act professionally and bite your tongue. Because in the future, they'll remember that and perhaps be a bit less finicky and particular. I try to treat others like I would be treated, though it is very hard .

When I was doing a route a while ago, there was/is a motorcycle company (we had a great nickname for them) where the man just wasn't a nice guy. Never had anything nice to say, inspect every box like fine jewlery and had a comment even if it was just slightly dinged. It seemed like half of the packages I sheeted as "damage" just to appease him. Anyway, I found that being sympathetic towards him and basically, agreeing with him, he ended up being easier to deal with in the long run, because I am guessing other drivers wanted to battle him and be oppositional.

Just remember that many of these people are making next to nothing and their benefits, if they have them, aren't particularly good. They may be home at 5 but..

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
When I was newer I let that stuff bother me, by the end I didn't care. I'd just pull up a chair and wait til they were done doing whatever. Much less stressfull once I stopped caring.

Indecisi0n

Remember they have a job to do to. Delivering at 4:00pm is late for a business. A lot of businesses turn around what we bring to go back out that same very day. It's not your fault but sometimes you need to put yourself in their shoes. Whenever a business says I am late and really means it (not just complaining) I simply tell them about our NDA services. Just because they work until 5 and you 8:45 that doesn't give you the right to be mad at the customer. It's UPS your mad at and now your using them as your punching bag.

Hugs

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It gets easier when you have a bid route that you've been in for years. You will most likely know them by name and they will know you. Most bid drivers try to have their business stops off in the first part of the day.
When you're new or a swing driver, it is harder. But you control the delivery situation. And you always want to be nice and professional. Think of it as you get paid a lot per hour so there's no reason to misdirect your frustration at ups onto these business stops. Explain the options they have. Let them choose. And then let them know they can sign or refuse but they can't open it unless they sign.
And working until 8 pm seems to be the new 6 pm for ups it seems. Unless you work in the bubble of goodness where it's all rainbows and unicorns. Otherwise you might have to find a way to deal with that reality because it doesn't seem ups will change that anytime soon

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
As a partner is a retail business, I have received packages from UPS, FDX, DHL, USPS that are mangled, shredded, run over, retaped, etc. After a while one gets tired of receiving damaged goods and regretting not inspecting the contents. If the business you deliver to is a independent B&M, that is someone's personal money possibly going down the drain (versus a $45B UPS Corp). PLUS; owners usually come down fairly hard on employees that continually make the same mistakes (accepting damaged goods). Don't forget the human element here and the fact that we provide service, sometimes on UPS's terms and sometimes on the customers (to a point, that is).

Notretiredyet

My biggest problem is dealing with Amazon suppliers, have two of them as pickups. These people have no clue how to pack or weigh packages. Both are in buildings not intended for the amount of stuff they ship. No shipping dock, packages just left outside the door on ground out in the weather when it rains. One of them calls in almost every day with an issue. Usually that I'm late to make a pickup that's left outside for the pickup anyways because they have no set hours and leave at a different time each day. They don't understand that when their volume varies from 1-100 pkgs that I need to make adjustments in their pickup time accordingly. With 50+ pickups between 1510-1745 on days they ship heavy I must skip them to make service on the rest first then return to load them later. It doesn't help that nobody in our management team here has been a driver for more than 30 days, so they have no idea how these stops can affect your planned day.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
[QUOTE="Notretiredyet, These people have no clue how to pack or weigh packages. Both are in buildings not intended for the amount of stuff they ship.

They really don't understand our business and the buildings are what they have, not what we want them to be.

9.5er

Your frustration is understandable. I get the same "late" comments all the time. I ignore them most of the time. I actually had some one tell me I was "early" couple days ago. I told her I was early here and late somewhere else. It's the nature of the beast that is UPS.
As for the "inspection" crew. I will allow a customer to check out a package if it is truly looks damaged. If the box is just a little crushed or torn but looks to be fine I tell them I'll mark it in the board but I need to keep moving.
Best advice is, stay professional and polite.

P

pickup

It looks like you have a few other issues other than dealing with a hole customers. Accept the fact that that employees of many of the businesses you serve are 9- 5 while you are 9 to 8:30 many times of the week.

Also accept the fact that many of these employees make considerably less than you. Consider this: many of these employees wish they were making your coin.

Also accept the fact that some of the businesses you serve may not be there in the near or not so far future while the company you work for most likely will be.

Also accept the fact that the check that you earn will not bounce.

I don't know your skill set, and or what ideal job you are looking for but I would rather have the money for a toy that I don't have the time to use than the time to use that toy but no money to buy the toy. The result comes out the same essentially: no toy.

I think I rambled on but I might have made a point or two.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Is what it is dude. Always going to have butthole customers who are always trippin on some gaywaad BS, whatever dude lmfao. After a while you learn not to give a buck really lol. This job aint for the mentally weak thats for sure. Does it suck getting off so late? Hell yea it blows but you know what doesnt blow? That super fatty check every week deposited into my checking account at 12:01 Friday morning. Life dont work that way. You get a job you love and has great hours you get paid like poop, have a job that blows asczz and poopy hours you get paid like a mofoe. Just the way it is in the real world. Always mind over matter in the real world, and if someone is mentally fragile, they will easily get their cage rattled. All about how a person is built mentally really. Jobs not for everybody thats for sure. Im not taking a shot at ya just telling it the way it is in the real world thats all. Good luck finding a 90k a year job though lol.

DriverMD

Your frustration is understandable. I get the same "late" comments all the time. I ignore them most of the time. I actually had some one tell me I was "early" couple days ago. I told her I was early here and late somewhere else. It's the nature of the beast that is UPS.
As for the "inspection" crew. I will allow a customer to check out a package if it is truly looks damaged. If the box is just a little crushed or torn but looks to be fine I tell them I'll mark it in the board but I need to keep moving.
Best advice is, stay professional and polite.
How do I mark a package as mangled or crushed etc in the board?

9.5er

How do I mark a package as mangled or crushed etc in the board?
Once you scan the package type POSDAM in the remarks column. Easy as that. I used to type crushed. Or torn. But per our last training module POSDAM covers it all.
IF you have scanned 10 packages and customer wants pkg#3 marked hit little arrow up til #3 is highlighted and move to the remarks column and type POSDAM.