Jewish holiday, not in union yet

nystripe96

I know I'm not supposed to take off any days until I make book. Yom Kippur which begins next Fri at sundown is the most religious day of the year on the Jewish calendar. Do you think my supes would understand if I didn't work the twilight next Fri? I really don't want to hurt my chances of making union in any way.

packageguy

I know I'm not supposed to take off any days until I make book. Yom Kippur which begins next Fri at sundown is the most religious day of the year on the Jewish calendar. Do you think my supes would understand if I didn't work the twilight next Fri? I really don't want to hurt my chances of making union in any way.

Than just ask for an early day, or just call out. You make the call

moreluck

golden ticket member
Canadian Thanks-Giving is comming up.
Monday Oct 10th.
C'mom take the day off and celebrate with us ! ;)

thumbnail.aspx
OR
200px-Wild_Turkey_Rare_Breed.jpg

klein

Für Meno :)
Bought my Turkey this weekend, already (we do pay more for them here) was on sale for 99cents/lb.
Just a small little sucker - was only around $9.00, so 9 lbs.

The soup made afterwards is always my favorite meal, anyways :)

moreluck

golden ticket member
O.T. The Chinese lady next door makes Jook............

Here is a great recipe for the turkey season. This recipe was submitted by Don McDiarmid Jr., who writes: "If you make this soup once, you will never again cook a turkey without thinking about the "jook" that will follow."
[h=3]Prep Time: 15 minutes[/h][h=3]Cook Time: 3 hours, 45 minutes[/h][h=3]Total Time: 3 hours, 60 minutes[/h][h=3]Ingredients:[/h]
  • 20 lb turkey with 95 percent of the meat stripped from it*
  • 4 celery stalks, chopped, plus the celery tops
  • 1 large chopped round onion or two medium onions
  • 4 - 5 slices of fresh ginger (about 1/4-inch thick), peeled
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 large cans of Swansons clear chicken soup
  • 1 bunch parsley, bottom stems cut off
  • Extra water or chicken soup to cover turkey meat and bones while simmering
  • 2 cups medium grain raw Oriental rice, such as Hinode
  • 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
  • 1 tsp dried cilantro
  • 1 TB sesame oil
  • 3 medium carrots, chopped
  • 1 head Chinese mustard cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Garlic salt, optional
[h=3]Preparation:[/h]Put the carcass in the pot with the first 6 items and cover bones with the liquid. Heat on high until the soup comes to a full boil. Lower heat and medium simmer with the lid on, until most of the meat scraps fall off the carcass, about 3 hours. Then, using a slotted spoon or strainer, take all the bones and the rest of the solids out (not the turkey meat) and discard them.
After their removal, add the rice, Chinese five-spice powder, dried cilantro, sesame oil, and carrots. Let the soup cook, covered, for at least another 30 minutes or more, simmering on on low heat, until the rice is fully cooked and the soup starts to thicken (let it thicken). Add the bite-sized, sliced mustard cabbage and cook for 5 more minutes, then serve.
Serve in bowls and add thinly chopped green onion and minced Chinese parsley over the top as a garnish. Grated fresh ginger may be served on the side.
The author adds: This soup gets better every day. Just bring it to a full boil every day for a minute or two. The raw rice will soak up a lot of liquid so you might wish to add more chicken soup, or cut down 1/2 cup on the raw rice, but it is supposed to be a bit thick.
*If your turkey is too small, try getting together with a neighbour and combining carcasses. If necessary, break down the bones from the turkey a bit to fit into the pot.

brownedout

Back on topic. OP just ask for the day/time you want off for the holiday. The upcoming High Holy days are one time where any management team I have had, are more than willing to work with myself, and our other Jewish workers to allow us the time off needed. I feel they would open themselves up to all kinds of trouble if they didn't at least try to accomodate us.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Bought my Turkey this weekend, already (we do pay more for them here) was on sale for 99cents/lb.
Just a small little sucker - was only around $9.00, so 9 lbs.

The soup made afterwards is always my favorite meal, anyways :)
UPS has a turkey farm for sale I heard. You can blame them for the price hike as now we don't kill turkeys, we give them management positions.

UPSGUY72

Hmm, I'm just gonna ask if I can double up thurs night. See what they say

That isn't going to happen. Any extra work goes buy seniority. You have none. They shouldn't have a problem giving you the Day off as long as you give them a weeks or more notice. However they have the right to start your 30 days over if they wanted to and as always things differ by location.

The bigger question is why didn't you tell the HR person that hired you that you are going to need this day off ?

rod

Retired 22 years
To play Devils advocate here--------------why should he get a Jewish hoilday off when we could never get Good Friday off ---- or even a few hours for the church service. I was always told that if you were super religious---UPS wasn't the job for you. So what's next ---all Muslems get to stop what they are doing at noon or what ever it is and face Mecca for prayers? How about the atheists?---do they get a day off to do-------nothing? They should.

brownedout

Just remember: If you take Yom Kippur off, you have to work Christmas.
I always work the day after Christmas although I have the seniority not to. I gladly stay out as late as they allow me Christmas Eve to allow my Christian brothers to leave a little earlier.

No double dipping.

Last edited:

brownedout

To play Devils advocate here--------------why should he get a Jewish hoilday off when we could never get Good Friday off ---- or even a few hours for the church service. I was always told that if you were super religious---UPS wasn't the job for you. So what's next ---all Muslems get to stop what they are doing at noon or what ever it is and face Mecca for prayers? How about the atheists?---do they get a day off to do-------nothing? They should.
Where I work anyway, Good Friday is always such a bare bones, "skelton crew" operation, anyone, with any kind of seniority, who wanted off, usually got it. Those who couldn't get the day called in, and we managed. No different than any other non-peak Friday the past 2-3 years. Not wise to turn this into my religion your religion battle.

rod

Retired 22 years
Where I work anyway, Good Friday is always such a bare bones, "skelton crew" operation, anyone, with any kind of seniority, who wanted off, usually got it. Those who couldn't get the day called in, and we managed. No different than any other non-peak Friday the past 2-3 years. Not wise to turn this into my religion your religion battle.

Not wise-----------------------but it is fun. ----------- Honestly Good Friday was treated just like any other day at my old center. Why would Good Friday be so light as to give everyone the day off? Did the shippers all take good thursday off too so there was no volumn to deliver on Friday? All I remember is I had to run like hell to get my business off before noon when the majority closed for 3 hours so their employees could attend church----------------although a good many of them went to the local saloon for a burger and a half dozen beers. I took lunch and deliverd residential between noon and 3 and then went back to business as usual. There were times I never got all my businesss off and pickups made because they closed for the day at noon---didn't matter-closed/holiday----see ya monday.

nystripe96

I didn't tell them I needed the day off in fear of not getting hired obviously. I'm just gonna work that day, I can't take a chance :/