Jim Krumel: You work hard, but how long will your job be around?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Jim Krumel: You work hard, but how long will your job be around? - Lima Ohio

Big Brown pulled down our street the other day. That’s what we call the UPS truck.

It’s a common sight. If it is not delivering a package to our house, then one is being unloaded to a neighbor.

You could say our neighborhood tries its best to keep the economy stimulated.

As Big Brown made its daily appearance last Monday, I couldn’t help but think if there’s one job this Labor Day that is safe from vanishing in the future, it belongs to delivery drivers. So many people are now comfortable buying so many things on the Internet that those driver’s must have a job for life. Then I went to work and a story that moved on the Associated Press wire changed my mind. It reported the Federal Aviation Administration granted Amazon approval to deliver packages by drones. It joins UPS and a company owned by search giant Google that are allowed to do so.

JJinVA

Its inevitable that they will try to replace us. Cant be mad that such is the nature of for-profit business. Looking for ways to minimize expenditures, which is what an employee is ultimately. I just think that they better save up a nice little goose egg before they announce it because its a guaranteed strike waiting to happen. And then they better hope that nothing goes wrong with their drones software *cough cough Orion 3.0 cough* because then they will have billions of dollars in drones AND no drivers. Hackers gon' hack... aint my problem

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Guess I should write an article about driving a package car watching some half bit journalist write about something that he knows nothing about. One things for sure, I’ll still have my job long after he lost his.

JJinVA

Guess I should write an article about driving a package car watching some half bit journalist write about something that he knows nothing about. One things for sure, I’ll still have my job long after he lost his.

I think Amazon, and UPS, will both make every attempt to make this work. But just being realistic... our center delivers a volume of about 40,000 everyday (except Mondays and Saturdays, usually pretty light). Thinking about the amount of drones necessary to deliver that kind of volume just from UPS alone, nevermind Amazon, or if FedEx manages to get into the drone delivery service, the amount of non-stop buzzing in the air from multiple company drones making multiple trips back and forth to the centers... people are going to lose their minds and start shooting them out of the sky for some peace and quiet. The people who would have it the worst would be the ones living near a facility cause they get the noise of all the drones leaving at once, and then all day long returning and going back out.

And thats just one of many problems I see arising with drone delivery services.

-Mechanical failures, falling out of the sky hurting and/or killing people/animals.
-Strong winds like Nor-easters, hurricanes, tropical storms.
-Kids with airsoft guns or real guns
-Radio jammed areas near military instillations

Imagine, never being able to hear a bird sing again because of the non-stop buzzing sounds of drones. The amount of complaints they are going to get in a short period of time is going to prove disastrous.

Mutineer

I think Amazon, and UPS, will both make every attempt to make this work. But just being realistic... our center delivers a volume of about 40,000 everyday (except Mondays and Saturdays, usually pretty light). Thinking about the amount of drones necessary to deliver that kind of volume just from UPS alone, nevermind Amazon, or if FedEx manages to get into the drone delivery service, the amount of non-stop buzzing in the air from multiple company drones making multiple trips back and forth to the centers... people are going to lose their minds and start shooting them out of the sky for some peace and quiet. The people who would have it the worst would be the ones living near a facility cause they get the noise of all the drones leaving at once, and then all day long returning and going back out.

And thats just one of many problems I see arising with drone delivery services.

-Mechanical failures, falling out of the sky hurting and/or killing people/animals.
-Strong winds like Nor-easters, hurricanes, tropical storms.
-Kids with airsoft guns or real guns
-Radio jammed areas near military instillations

Imagine, never being able to hear a bird sing again because of the non-stop buzzing sounds of drones. The amount of complaints they are going to get in a short period of time is going to prove disastrous.
Almost every potential problem and argument ever made against drones was brought up over a century ago. Except that time, it was against 'flying machines' and 'horseless carriages'.

I think drones would best be used in time-sucking rural areas. And don't worry about Cletus in JimBobwe shooting them down. That will happen from time to time. I think that some current laws will be amended so that shooting at a drone will be as serious an offense as shooting at any other type of aircraft.

11.19igrad

Almost every potential problem and argument ever made against drones was brought up over a century ago. Except that time, it was against 'flying machines' and 'horseless carriages'.

I think drones would best be used in time-sucking rural areas. And don't worry about Cletus in JimBobwe shooting them down. That will happen from time to time. I think that some current laws will be amended so that shooting at a drone will be as serious an offense as shooting at any other type of aircraft.
yea drone airspace is regulated federally, ive looked into drones and the license required and learning about controlled airspace, permissions, height, clouds, etc, its crazy.

One thing that drones cant do is deliver to specific apartments or highrises. unless they dump them in a dumpster for people to dig out.

the other issue i see is a drone can only carry one package at a time and then it has to return to get another and drones have to be operated so you need people to control the drones and people to reload the drones. Also, what about proximity to the packages? Drone regulations only allow for so many hundreds of feet from the operator. Unless corporations have an entirely different class of permissions.

Still begs the question, who is going to build, supply and operate all of these drone hubs?

Drones cant replace drivers. You have pickups, drivers know customers and their preferences, quirks, access codes, etc, etc. Unless this is the beginning of a centralized delivery system that renders delivery to each doorstep a relic of the past.

I do think a lot of the system can be modernized and help curb co2 emissions.

But with automation and consideration for the planet comes distress for the workforce.

One can only hope that there is a collective integration that utilizes technology, cultivates the human ability to adapt and corporations offer their workforce opportunities to advance into new technology and sustain communities.

JJinVA

Right, but we don't have 40,000 planes landing in our neighborhood daily. If we did, crime or not, theyre gonna get shot down.

And for the ppl who aren't willing to shoot them down or throw rocks at them/slingshot them, ppl will minimize how much stuff they buy online due to the noise nuisance which will still hurt profits.

Mutineer

One thing that drones cant do is deliver to specific apartments or highrises. unless they dump them in a dumpster for people to dig out.
Exactly! Screw apartment people. Besides, they dig in dumpsters anyways. Like bobbing for apples. I like the way you think.
Still begs the question, who is going to build, supply and operate all of these drone hubs?
China. No, wait...Mexicans. The Mexicans will steal jobs from the Chinese. I like where this is going already!
Drones cant replace drivers. You have pickups, drivers know customers and their preferences, quirks, access codes, etc, etc. Unless this is the beginning of a centralized delivery system that renders delivery to each doorstep a relic of the past.
Drones can replace some of what drivers do. Drivers can still do the pickups. Drones can be programmed to know customer quirks, access codes, etc.
I do think a lot of the system can be modernized and help curb co2 emissions.
What are you, some kinda' hippie?
But with automation and consideration for the planet comes distress for the workforce.
A large portion of the workforce is and will always be in distress. This is all their own fault for drugging, drinking, and chasing pusillanimous. They should endeavor to improve their situation and stop being so stupid. And go to college. Or, something...

Mutineer

Right, but we don't have 40,000 planes landing in our neighborhood daily. If we did, crime or not, theyre gonna get shot down.
More drones will be built as they are shot down by your imaginary hoodlums, delinquents, and hillbillies.
And for the ppl who aren't willing to shoot them down or throw rocks at them/slingshot them, ppl will minimize how much stuff they buy online due to the noise nuisance which will still hurt profits.
The same with airports and freeways, people will get used to the noise. As the noisy drone drops the 60lb bag of dog food and flattens their noisy, barking dog. People will always buy online as long as they are able. Despite all the negative consequences.

Mutineer

What many couriers (especially USPS and UPS drivers) fail to understand or admit is that the proper, natural place for this occupation is as an unskilled, miserable, dead-end, minimum wage job. FedEx Ground, Ontrac, Lazership, Amazon, and many others have been proving this point everyday for many years now.

With modern electronic mapping and navigating, driver turnover doesn't matter so much anymore. Not like it used to. And with a perpetual surplus of unskilled labor, workers don't matter anymore.

And yes, customers will be angry and complain. They are ALWAYS angry and complaining about something, anything! They will get used to the new normal and forget what they were complaining about to begin with, and invent NEW reasons to complain.

I admit that drones can't replace everything that we do. But they can do some of what we do. And every year, they WILL get better. And changes will be made at all levels in order to accommodate them.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Drones fly well in bad weather carrying furniture or can get inside apartment buildings? How about heavily tree covered areas?

JJinVA

More drones will be built as they are shot down by your imaginary hoodlums, delinquents, and hillbillies.

The same with airports and freeways, people will get used to the noise. As the noisy drone drops the 60lb bag of dog food and flattens their noisy, barking dog. People will always buy online as long as they are able. Despite all the negative consequences.

Bro you act like you got stock in this 😂. I'm fine if you dismiss my very realistic expectations. Doesn't change the reality. And again, planes flying at 30,000 feet can't be heard. 40,000 drones flying over ppls backyards definitely can be

charm299

Jim Krumel: You work hard, but how long will your job be around? - Lima Ohio

Big Brown pulled down our street the other day. That’s what we call the UPS truck.

It’s a common sight. If it is not delivering a package to our house, then one is being unloaded to a neighbor.

You could say our neighborhood tries its best to keep the economy stimulated.

As Big Brown made its daily appearance last Monday, I couldn’t help but think if there’s one job this Labor Day that is safe from vanishing in the future, it belongs to delivery drivers. So many people are now comfortable buying so many things on the Internet that those driver’s must have a job for life. Then I went to work and a story that moved on the Associated Press wire changed my mind. It reported the Federal Aviation Administration granted Amazon approval to deliver packages by drones. It joins UPS and a company owned by search giant Google that are allowed to do so.
1980: we gonna having flying cars in 10 years
2020: everything will be delivered by drones in 10 years

11.19igrad

Exactly! Screw apartment people. Besides, they dig in dumpsters anyways. Like bobbing for apples. I like the way you think.

China. No, wait...Mexicans. The Mexicans will steal jobs from the Chinese. I like where this is going already!

Drones can replace some of what drivers do. Drivers can still do the pickups. Drones can be programmed to know customer quirks, access codes, etc.

What are you, some kinda' hippie?

A large portion of the workforce is and will always be in distress. This is all their own fault for drugging, drinking, and chasing pusillanimous. They should endeavor to improve their situation and stop being so stupid. And go to college. Or, something...
we are all gonna be homeless hippies as climate change worsens. look at cali. Im a hypocrite i drive a tahoe but im not getting crushed to death in an accident. i guess everyone thinks this way who drives an army tanker around 🤷🏽‍♂️.