Job Interview at Express tomorrow!

bjjrican

What's up fellow couriers. I finally got my call to be a part time driver at FedEx Express. Currently I work for a HD contractor here in Los Angeles. I'm pretty excited and nervous. I know this is only an interview and shouldn't be expecting to Be putting in my 2 weeks notice anytime soon. I know a lot of you guys will be clowning around about the situation. So I won't be getting butt-hurt or anything. Has anybody ever successfully landed the job and said "peace-out" or gave HD/Ground the middle finger?

SmithBarney

Don't flip off your contractor on the way out, unless you want to burn bridges. you(or Express) may decide it's not the best fit...you may need that contact at HD/Ground.

bjjrican

Don't flip off your contractor on the way out, unless you want to burn bridges. you(or Express) may decide it's not the best fit...you may need that contact at HD/Ground.

Well me and my contractor are cool. I wouldn’t give him the middle finger personally. I meant the middle finger to be for HD/Ground itself. I know he will ask me to help out this peak season.

bjjrican

Had my interview at the Schoenborn terminal. Went pretty well. MOD gave me the nod and handed me the physical papers. She said t will take between 2-3 weeks to get my background check finished. So, I’m hoping it takes less time.

bacha29

Sooner or later Ground management is going to have to come to the realization that they can no longer continue to put contractors in the impossible position of trying to compete in a labor market offering a pay scale just above minimum wage and no benefits. At the same time leaving it to the contractor to find fast food wage labor keeps the " best company to work for" image intact . They don't want their hands dirtied by a cheap wage employer image but that cheap wage is the only thing keeping them in business

MAKAVELI

Well me and my contractor are cool. I wouldn’t give him the middle finger personally. I meant the middle finger to be for HD/Ground itself. I know he will ask me to help out this peak season.
You can't work for both opcos at the same time.

MAKAVELI

It doesn't matter if he's working for Joe Blow. Technically he can't work at 2 opcos. Not saying it doesn't happen. But if both Express and Ground are in the same area he is more likely to be found out and face possible DOT HOS violations.

bjjrican

When I started express 3 years ago I didn't even have an interview. He showed me around the place and sent me for a physical....maybe itll be like that for you...lol

Nah, bruh! I got the full on interview. Maybe about 5-6 questions. Then she was like ok. Your good. Let’s get you over to the doctors office for a physical and then bring your paper back today or tomorrow so we can get you started as soon as the background check comes back.

bjjrican

It doesn't matter if he's working for Joe Blow. Technically he can't work at 2 opcos. Not saying it doesn't happen. But if both Express and Ground are in the same area he is more likely to be found out and face possible DOT HOS violations.

My contractor has many areas for me to help and work out of without clashing into any of the guys/girls at the Express terminal I’m going to be working for. He might use me as a jumper or a shuttler. There’s a lot of roles I can play at his company without bumping into an X driver.

bacha29

My contractor has many areas for me to help and work out of without clashing into any of the guys/girls at the Express terminal I’m going to be working for. He might use me as a jumper or a shuttler. There’s a lot of roles I can play at his company without bumping into an X driver.
MAKAVELI may be right. If you don't get the question he's raising settled beforehand you might just end up with a job at neither.

Star B

White Lightening
more than likely, you are just going to want to quit HD/ground, once you find out you are worth more(better benefits/pay) at Express than at Ground.

Also... he may not be DOT depending on position, so DOT HOS may not apply to him.

Last edited:

vantexan

more than likely, you are just going to want to quit HD/ground, once you find out you are worth more at Express than at Ground.

Also... he may not be DOT depending on position, so DOT HOS may not apply to him.
Even non-DOT couriers are required to follow HOS rules.