Job opportunities for bottom scale fedex employees. Be your own BOSS ;)

bacha29

Bezos may not make a play for X but he can sure hurt it in a different way. Old Fred never got done talking about the bright future X had hauling E commerce. Wonder what he thinks now. What will do this endevor in will be Bezos well publicised reputation of being a very low wage employer.

bacha29

Then again, college kids will be all over this. They can haul for Bezos during term breaks, holiday breaks haul for the guy between classes. This will work in a populated area that has a college or university with kids who have cars.

vantexan

Then again, college kids will be all over this. They can haul for Bezos during term breaks, holiday breaks haul for the guy between classes. This will work in a populated area that has a college or university with kids who have cars.
Or housewives...or retired couriers!

l22

Has anyone become a flex driver on the side? If yes, how is it? If no, no response unless you know what you're talking about somehow lol

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Well this could be comparable to the vast number of food delivery options. Do people use it, absolutely, but has it put anyone out of business. Also there's been a few interesting stories on the web in regards to über. First people aren't making the money they were promised and secondly to compete internationally they are operating at a huge loss in some markets. So back to flex delivery options, well first this will primarily be goods that already for the most part has been moved to regional carriers or the post office(amazons bitch) as I call them. I don't foresee much if any impact to either UPS or FedEx.

bacha29

It is however at least in the early going fairly easy stops and potentially lots of them and given the flexibility of working when you want is going to be pretty darn attractive for a fairly large segment of the population.

vantexan

Well this could be comparable to the vast number of food delivery options. Do people use it, absolutely, but has it put anyone out of business. Also there's been a few interesting stories on the web in regards to über. First people aren't making the money they were promised and secondly to compete internationally they are operating at a huge loss in some markets. So back to flex delivery options, well first this will primarily be goods that already for the most part has been moved to regional carriers or the post office(amazons bitch) as I call them. I don't foresee much if any impact to either UPS or FedEx.
Notice the large markets it's currently offered in? I'm guessing the Flex crew goes to the local distribution center and is given freight for that metro area. Those are stops that FedEx currently does, and as large metro areas make up a huge part of the country's population I'd say this is a real threat to FedEx. And more so as it spreads to other cities. Especially if they start offering same day service. No need for stations, trucking it to the stations, managers over the stations.

Fragiledonthrow

Why is the post office amazons bitch? They're the cheapest around because of government regulation. So where else would a company like that go. It's obvious.

Nolimitz

And you don't even need insurance?? Ha

What do I need to make deliveries?
We are looking for drivers who are at least 21 years old and have a car and a valid driver’s license. You will also need an Android phone and will need to pass a background check. We’ll provide access to the app and opportunities to deliver.

bacha29

They're going to leave up to the individua to l learn for himself the trappings of the endevor. However, knowlegeable people who know in adavance what they need will take the Amazon offer and run with it. The best ones in the best areas will do well especially when many families have more than one car and more than one qualified driver in the household including those households where they're 20 something kid has moved back home with a car but no job. Then too those state welfare departments who and they do this in some states buy cars for their "clients" in the hope that they will get out and work will no doubt have their " clients" out there hauling Amazon. Good it will be a whole new life experience for them. It's called work. The problem however is that it will probably come at the expense of those who have worked everyday of their lives taking what the economy would give them.

!Retired!

I wonder if you would be 'on-call' or would you choose what hours you work. Our oldest will be getting her drivers license soon and she might do this instead of working at the pet store.
Has anyone become a flex driver on the side? If yes, how is it? If no, no response unless you know what you're talking about somehow lol
That would be against company policy, if they consider it a competitor.
$18-$25 per hour driving your own car is not good money.
It is if you don't have a job.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Bet that'll attract a lot of Uber drivers. Maybe Dano will explain why this won't work! :)

Oh, it'll "work" just like Uber, which implies a wholly different connotation of what "works" means. I eagerly await your dissertation on how this will cripple Express.