Juneteenth - A National Holiday?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Juneteenth (also known as Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, Liberation Day, and Emancipation Day) is an unofficial holiday celebrating the emancipation of those who had been enslaved in the United States. Originating in Texas, it is now celebrated annually on the 19th of June throughout the United States, with varying official recognition. Specifically, it commemorates Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all slaves in Texas were free.

On June 18, Union Army General Gordon Granger arrived at Galveston Island with 2,000 federal troops to occupy Texas on behalf of the federal government. The following day, standing on the balcony of Galveston's Ashton Villa, Granger read aloud the contents of "General Order No. 3", announcing the total emancipation of those held as slaves:

The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.
By the 21st century, Juneteenth was celebrated in most major cities across the United States. Activists are campaigning for the United States Congress to recognize Juneteenth as a national holiday. Hawaii, North Dakota and South Dakota are the only states that do not recognize Juneteenth, according to the Congressional Research Service. Of the 47 states that do acknowledge Juneteenth in one way or another, Texas, Virginia, New York and Pennsylvania are the only ones recognizing it as an official paid holiday for state employees.

The holiday is considered the "longest running African-American holiday" and has been called "America's second Independence Day".

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I needed another pretend holiday for more of my :censored2:ing tax dollars to be spent paying people to do nothing.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1592609222091.png

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Nope! That's where you one-tooth Kentuckians add your contributions!
In all seriousness I dont understand the butt hurt feelings some have with it being a national holiday. In what way does it harm them? It could be an extra free day off from work. Its like the way people reacted to Martin Luther King day being a holiday

In all seriousness I dont understand the butt hurt feelings some have with it being a national holiday. In what way does it harm them? It could be an extra free day off from work. Its like the way people reacted to Martin Luther King day being a holiday
lots of people was not happy with Martin Luther King being a holiday because they lost Good Friday as a holiday

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
In all seriousness I don't understand the butt hurt feelings some have with it being a national holiday. In what way does it harm them? It could be an extra free day off from work. Its like the way people reacted to Martin Luther King day being a holiday
Hey Man!
I'm all for it!
I kick myself for missing it the last 65 years!

Ignorance is not always bliss!

1592616500434.png

Last edited: