Junky pkg. cars

J

Jerry Gallo

It can't be just because a manual pkg. car has been driven into the ground that it has no balls (take off speed), right? I'm a newbie (4-1-13), but 4 up from "bottom bitch" at my center now & always seem to get stuck w/ these while drivers below me get manuals w/ balls. Sure makes it dangerous while having to pull out in front of people to make it to a different part of each days splitty.

1 of these has no rear shocks. Why would anyone even think of making a pkg. car w/ no rear shocks? A few weeks back, the brackets that hold the gas tank on literally fell off. I wonder how long I'd been draggin' that sumbitch. Lucky I discovered it while making a delivery. That was quite an event, 25 miles from the center no less.

MethodsMan

The old manual with almost 300,000 miles that lug like its about to fall apart while your backing up to a loading dock are always fun. Only a waist seat belt is always comforting as well.

Just gotta adapt to those changing conditions though.

J

Jerry Gallo

It was good to go on pre trip, cachsux. Not worried as much about speed bumps as ANY LITTLE bumps.

I've heard from some senior drivers that within 2-3 years, all the manuals will be gone. Not believin' them since our mechanic said a pkg. car has ta go 20 years before they scrap it. I'll admit, I really had little idea how to drive a manual before I started, but now it's so 2nd nature...

J

Jerry Gallo

I guess (w/ the changing conditions)... poopsup. We only have 1 w/ a lap belt only & it's a pretty decent 1 now that they replaced the clutch. Does a lotta bulk stops in our 65,000 pop. town.

iowa boy

Rolled an old p500 over to 1,000,000 miles my first peak. Now that was an old piece of junk.

Of all the older cars in our fleet, we have two that have the original odometers in them. Every other odometer has been replaced as they quit working long long ago, so no telling how many miles are actually on our really old cars.

FilingBluesFL

I don't know what all the complaining is about.

Take your time, work safely, and if it takes you 10 minutes to pull out in to traffic, than too bad, so sad.

You get paid by the hour, bro.

J

Jerry Gallo

We had a couple of high step no power steering 1000's at the end of the summer seasonal period. They've since disappeared. They were only 4 speeds. The shifting was so loose & the clutch so stiff. Went out on route once w/ 1 & did EAMs another time. Didn't have fobs either, hadta use actual keys, & not sure they had telematics. Keep forgetting to ask the mechanic what happened to them.

J

Jerry Gallo

I try to have that attitude some days, FilingBluesFL, but this time of year, I'd prefer to get done at a somewhat normal hour. I try to do replies on the threads, but it doesn't work from my iPhone & I only use the mobile version. Is this an issue w/ everyone using mobile versions Android or iPhone?

JackStraw

I lost a new 8 for a beat up 10(just for peak). I told my sup "Hey when I got the new 8 you told me I should perform better. How come when you gave me this POS 10 you didn't say we expect you to be a little slower?" He just looked at me with a blank stare. LOL

blackcircle

They put new gas engines in most of the old 4 speeds here. They'll scream in 4th gear going about 55mph but at least they have pick up(and no power steering to go with it). The mechanics usually keep them as spares or EAM drivers will take them out occasionally. They pawn them off on peak drivers during Christmas too.

I currently drive a "new" Workhorse. Lots of pickup and rides pretty smooth but it's had minor electrical issues like a lot of them here have. Only thing I don't care for about it is the turning radius.