just a casual observation....maybe just my imagination...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
IMO it generally slows down in the summertime. With cold weather coming to some of us unfortunate individuals who live where the weather changes, we hop back on. It will increase with election time nearing.

Nimnim

The Nim
I hadn't been on in a week so I couldn't really tell. Aside from that though I suppose I could make some threads. Can't guarantee they won't be derailed into other conversations, or getting mysteriously locked or whatnot though.

dillweed

Well, here's my opinion for what it's worth. No personal attacks intended, no names mentioned, OK?

I've noticed that new posters often receive sarcastic remarks as answers. Seems to me they would come in and post due to a problem or lack of understanding of how the company works. When they are criticized right off the bat, they don't continue to post.

They don't know the people here or their personalities. They don't see the winks, smiles or understanding eyes that may lie behind the posts.

Posts are oten hijacked, with the results being age-old bantering between familiar members, not easily understood by newcomers. Often no constructive conversation evolves.

Spell checkers and grammer police. Did I spell grammer right or is it grammar? I don't care.

There's what I often see here. I take what I can use and leave the rest but I have an understanding of what sort of folks survive at UPS. Thick skin and and "attitude" are key to this survival. Many new folks just don't understand that or have not yet developed it. As we see from company turnover many folks never go that far insane.

I rarely make a new post. I have had great results and help from many members here. The support is incredible if you know who is actually helpful and who isn't. However, I am careful with new posts and can usually anticipate what I'll receive as an answer. That right there is usually enough for me to resist.

Ok, there it is. Again, no personal attacks intended. Just my own opinion which may be shared by some and rejected by others. No right or wrong, no good or bad; just individual personalities and it's all good. Those who are not comfy here have the option to not return and I believe that happens frequently.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dillweed, you are right. I can see how it can be very frustrating for new comers. There are some that should maybe stop and think about how it was for them coming up through the ranks, years ago. Maybe have a little more tolerance for questions. I've always heard, there is no dumb question.

On the other hand, there are some newcomers that should take the time to research a little. We have to 'stickied' threads that cover all kinds of topics related to UPS, both for the customer and the employee.

Nimnim

The Nim
Really when I showed up I lurked for a few weeks, then made a post or two and vanished for a few months before I came back. I don't recall if the welcome I had was anything close to warm and fuzzy, but by the time I came back again I didn't care anymore.

rod

Retired 22 years
Most new posters are just looking for a quick answer to a problem they are having. Give them a break. Too many times I've seen know it all jump down their throats and scare them off. Pointing the way to the "research" feature can be done tacfully without being a smart a--.

P

pickup

Most new posters are just looking for a quick answer to a problem they are having. Give them a break. Too many times I've seen know it all jump down their throats and scare them off. Pointing the way to the "research" feature can be done tacfully without being a smart a--.

If what you call the "research" feature is also known as the search function then this touches upon something else. We have often replied to a new poster who posts a question that has been answered on so many threads that "the search function is your best friend". Well that once was true but not so much anymore as I find the search function doesn't work as well , effectiveness-wise, as it did before the upgrade we had a few months ago.

Just my observation.

Speaking of the upgrade, we lost a few guys who couldn't deal with the new way things were formatted.