Just got disqualified after 21 days

Catchme24

So I was DQ'd because I couldn't get within an hour of scratch, and had a decline in speed my last few days. I got to about 1.3 hrs over around my 15th day, then I went backwards and was around 2.0 for days 16-20. Then day 21 3 hours over.
Day 21 there was a fire and part of the road I had stops on was blocked and I had to go around (a good 30-40 min loss).
My route was 25% country roads and a lot of steep gravel driveways, and they expected 16-17 stops/hr, I was at 14.
Traffic was horrible daily, often waited 1-10 mins to turn.
They put me in a 500 3 times and I had bulk stops buried from front to back.
And I didn't take lunches, half my days i didn't use the men's room until I got to the hub. Oh and the dispatcher kept giving me new streets/ areas regularly. Scratch seemed impossible.

I asked for 1 more day and they refused, said I just didn't show enough progression. So they fly me to Chicago for intergrad (easily $1-1.5k) and pay me 21 days, but 1 extra day is too much????

Any advice is welcomed, should I talk to the union?
Ps I have a learning disability and had back surgery in Sept 2016 if it means anything.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2219.GIF
I didn't say that, but if I got within 1-2 hours over it would've been enough progression to continue.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I didn't say that, but if I got within 1-2 hours over it would've been enough progression to continue.
But you've gone 3 weeks and have the same overallowed as most guys day 5 and 6. Not to mention you even went backwards. Why would they allow you to continue if they are constantly getting hosed on it?

So I was DQ'd because I couldn't get within an hour of scratch, and had a decline in speed my last few days. I got to about 1.3 hrs over around my 15th day, then I went backwards and was around 2.0 for days 16-20. Then day 21 3 hours over.
Day 21 there was a fire and part of the road I had stops on was blocked and I had to go around (a good 30-40 min loss).
My route was 25% country roads and a lot of steep gravel driveways, and they expected 16-17 stops/hr, I was at 14.
Traffic was horrible daily, often waited 1-10 mins to turn.
They put me in a 500 3 times and I had bulk stops buried from front to back.
And I didn't take lunches, half my days i didn't use the men's room until I got to the hub. Oh and the dispatcher kept giving me new streets/ areas regularly. Scratch seemed impossible.

I asked for 1 more day and they refused, said I just didn't show enough progression. So they fly me to Chicago for intergrad (easily $1-1.5k) and pay me 21 days, but 1 extra day is too much????

Any advice is welcomed, should I talk to the union?
Ps I have a learning disability and had back surgery in Sept 2016 if it means anything.
Driving isn't for everyone.

PACNW

What do other drivers do on that route? Barring an accident or something, they give you all the way up to day 29 to prove yourself around here. It takes that long for some people to figure it out it.

My loader went driving last year, great kid. I really wanted him to succeed, so I poured a lot of time into helping him. The kid just didn't get it. He struggled with direction, odds & evens, how blocks worked, etc. 2-3 hours over everyday. After I got off work, I'd go find him to check on him and he'd be a block away from his truck, drenched in sweat, running aimlessly up and down the street looking for an address. I was sure he'd get cut. Then about day 25 it all clicked and he was under allowed the rest of the way.

I don't think there is anything you can do about your situation. Unfortunately you were not only NOT improving, but going backwards. That is about all the justification they need to cut you and move on to the next candidate.

Catchme24

I guess I'm surprised and I'm not. I've heard we need around 100 drivers. I'm safe, good driver, good w customers, come in early, yada yada. I figured they'd let me get to day 25 at least.
Trying to decide my next path, signed up for Sat air exception but that's piddly. Rumor has it there's no summer seasonal here. So for now I'm back to 4-5 hour hub shifts

ibleedbrown

the training route is supposed to stay the same throughout your 30 days. talk to your ba about that. did you have any seasonal experience before going in to your 30 days? around here its very hard to qualify with out some sort of seasonal, air or saturday air driving under your belt. get on the saturday air if you can trust me it will help you with the diad, delivery methods, and time management getting off those early a.m's. don't worry about it you will do much better on your next try. if i were you i would try to do saturday air or at least one seasonal before you give it another shot.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Giving a trainee new streets and areas does not fly around here.

We all know that area knowledge is one of the biggest factors in production.

Let a trainee prove he/she can do the basic job first.

Area knowledge, or delivering without area knowledge, comes with time.

over9five

Staff member
Giving a trainee new streets and areas does not fly around here.

We all know that area knowledge is one of the biggest factors in production.

Let a trainee prove he/she can do the basic job first.

Area knowledge, or delivering without area knowledge, comes with time.
Stop talking common sense! Where do you work, anyhow???

Johney

21 days and you got cut? You must really suck! They have 29 days to let you go before you gain seniority and in most cases they will abuse said person up to 28 days before cutting them,they didn't even want the last seven free days with you. Dam.

Brownsfan

Call it a loss and use every driving opportunity from here on out to get better. Prove to them that you can do the job before probation ever starts. Sometimes you can effect your probationary period by the way you carry yourself in the hub or whe your loading.

If a manager just doesn't feel like your ready and you go driving anyway then some see it as you wasting their time.
Dominate that Saturday air and focus on smoothing out your routine.