Just got into an argument with the floor manager.

MycroBlasty

does this greatly hurt my chances of advancing in UPS??? I just want to know since being a preloader for UPS is not worth it without the potential to advance, health care or otherwise.

the argument was because i came in 40 mins early and agreed to work before the start time after the 4th of july even though i had food poisoning and i got pissed off because after unloading all of the trucks for my floor, they wanted to send me to another part of the operation and i wasn't feeling well so i told my SUP if i have to go, im going to call out. . .

the manager was their and heard and his exact words were "you are NEW, if you dont like it, hand in your badge and go home."

which pissed me off, because since starting, i work harder then most and have a near perfect attendance(missed one day in 5 months).

its like they WANT you to work slow and call out a bunch because the people that do that get NO consequences, NEW or NOT.

542thruNthru

No it didn't hurt your chances at all. Though I recommend if you are sick do not come to work because once you are there they will use you as they see fit.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
does this greatly hurt my chances of advancing in UPS??? I just want to know since being a preloader for UPS is not worth it without the potential to advance, health care or otherwise.

the argument was because i came in 40 mins early and agreed to work before the start time after the 4th of july even though i had food poisoning and i got :censored2: off because after unloading all of the trucks for my floor, they wanted to send me to another part of the operation and i wasn't feeling well so i told my SUP if i have to go, im going to call out. . .

the manager was their and heard and his exact words were "you are NEW, if you dont like it, hand in your badge and go home."

which :censored2: me off, because since starting, i work harder then most and have a near perfect attendance(missed one day in 5 months).

its like they WANT you to work slow and call out a bunch because the people that do that get NO consequences, NEW or NOT.

You came in early, and agreed to start work.

Good so far.

Expecting to leave early (because of that) and being sent to another

work area ticked you off.

Rather than working, you tried to play the "food poisoning" card and

got called on it. Sound about right ?

To answer your question of "will it hurt my chances for advancement" ??

Not if you pay your monthly Union Dues.

FACT :biggrin:

-Bug-

MycroBlasty

"food poisoning" card??

im not a child, the reason i went in earlier is because i couldn't sleep because i had an upset stomach.

as for "leaving early" i actually made 5 hours and the only reason we finished unload when we did is because i started 30 mins early and did the majority of the unloading(6 of the 13 trucks) at a speedy pace.

but lesson learned - NEVER try to be a "team player" and NEVER overexert yourself to help UPS.

i get paid minimum wage, i'll give minimum effort.

fyi, Union dues come out of my check so thats all squared away.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's a job, not a marriage. Your loyalty to the company only continues as long as you're getting a check.

Have that attitude and you'll be fine here.

extranatty

Similar issue here.

I have perfect attendence, zero lates, zero call ins for the past 6 months. I've had food poisoning for a week and worked through most of it. On Monday I was vomiting with a severe migraine and couldn't drive safely like that nevermind work so I called in, told my sup I'm using a sick day. He says okay. He calls back, says they need me to come in for staffing and then they'll send me home. So, as they've made me work while vomiting before, I said "ehhh", turned off my phone and tried to sleep.

Come Wednesday, I come in, and I'm screamed at by the center manager for not coming in and giving them 'the chance' to determine if I'm too sick to work. And they didn't use a sick day, put it as 'called in'. I don't believe filing a grievance will be fruitful. I figure next time I'll ask them to come pick me up or throw up on as many packages as possible.

Management is insane; deluded. They sold their soul to become part of a profit machine. Work anywhere else and it's a different world with better hours/pay. Screaming at people, piss testing -- they're trying to get you to tell them to :censored2: off. As my mother was the same way, I'm a natural UPSer. But ultimately we're all idiots for continuing to work for this company. My 2nd job takes 1/10th the effort and I get paid double.

MycroBlasty

I only tolerate it because i want to become an Air Driver. im actually a college graduate that can make a lot of money funeral directing/embalming but I fell in love with UPS when i become a seasonal driver helper while studying for my boards exam.

i'll keep my head down from now on.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Question for the guys that hate it here. If this place sucks so much and you hate it, why continue to come here when other jobs pay higher or offer better benefits. Not sure about your area but where I live they are paying Aldi cashiers 12/hr, 15+ for shift managers. McDonald's is paying 10+ also.

Mst3k

In the future, call in say that you are sink and ask to be coded as such and hang up. They don't need to know what you have.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
simple thing if your sick and in the union you can call in sick. You call off one day, you get the next one free, meaning it only counts as one day. If your in the union dont do ups any favors. It isnt going to help you in the long run, unless your going into management. They are going to :censored2: on you no matter what you do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I only tolerate it because i want to become an Air Driver. im actually a college graduate that can make a lot of money funeral directing/embalming but I fell in love with UPS when i become a seasonal driver helper while studying for my boards exam.

i'll keep my head down from now on.

You went through "how to screw people out of their money when one of their family members dies" school and now you want to sling cardboard for a living?

TheFigurehead

"but lesson learned - NEVER try to be a "team player" and NEVER overexert yourself to help UPS.

The sooner you learn and live by this, the better your life will be. Hard work at UPS will only ever result in one thing... more work. You will not get a raise, promotion, or anything but more work piled on you for all of your effort. That's the game. Alternately, you cannot be disciplined or held back for working at a safe and reasonable pace. "Promotions" are seniority based, and you must sign a bid list to get a new position. Raises are outlined in the contract and occur on a set schedule. UPS will work you as hard as they can, as long as they can, without regard to your wellness or needs. The sooner you draw a line in the sand and stick to it, the sooner they'll back off. You operate under a contract. Know it. Use it. "A fair days work for a fair days pay" is the only thing required of you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Similar issue here.

I have perfect attendence, zero lates, zero call ins for the past 6 months. I've had food poisoning for a week and worked through most of it. On Monday I was vomiting with a severe migraine and couldn't drive safely like that nevermind work so I called in, told my sup I'm using a sick day. He says okay. He calls back, says they need me to come in for staffing and then they'll send me home. So, as they've made me work while vomiting before, I said "ehhh", turned off my phone and tried to sleep.

Come Wednesday, I come in, and I'm screamed at by the center manager for not coming in and giving them 'the chance' to determine if I'm too sick to work. And they didn't use a sick day, put it as 'called in'. I don't believe filing a grievance will be fruitful. I figure next time I'll ask them to come pick me up or throw up on as many packages as possible.

Management is insane; deluded. They sold their soul to become part of a profit machine. Work anywhere else and it's a different world with better hours/pay. Screaming at people, piss testing -- they're trying to get you to tell them to :censored2: off. As my mother was the same way, I'm a natural UPSer. But ultimately we're all idiots for continuing to work for this company. My 2nd job takes 1/10th the effort and I get paid double.

"Iam a natural UPSer"

Lmfao

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You came in early, and agreed to start work.

Good so far.

Expecting to leave early (because of that) and being sent to another

work area ticked you off.

Rather than working, you tried to play the "food poisoning" card and

got called on it. Sound about right ?

To answer your question of "will it hurt my chances for advancement" ??

Not if you pay your monthly Union Dues.

FACT :biggrin:

-Bug-
Why pay if you dont have to?