Just Graduated with an accounting degree

And I don't want to do accounting. I had a summer internship and didn't like it.

I want to get into management, I want to be involved with people, I want to push people to better themselves and the company. I worked 3 years as a handler at Express, and I'm hoping that experience along with my bachelors will get my foot in the door as an ops manager. Why FedEx? Well, I just left the company this past winter, and I noticed how many people still see the FedEx name and go WOW. Maybe management is different than an hourly employee, but I want to get my foot in the door, with decent pay, and move to another company within 4 years.

Any pointers? I'm looking for a gig in Texas or Illinois, so I"ll keep checking the career site.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It might not be so easy to get a job for the next month or two. They just dissolved the CE network and those managers are being placed right now. You're going to need to be patient.

And I don't want to do accounting. I had a summer internship and didn't like it.

I want to get into management, I want to be involved with people, I want to push people to better themselves and the company. I worked 3 years as a handler at Express, and I'm hoping that experience along with my bachelors will get my foot in the door as an ops manager. Why FedEx? Well, I just left the company this past winter, and I noticed how many people still see the FedEx name and go WOW. Maybe management is different than an hourly employee, but I want to get my foot in the door, with decent pay, and move to another company within 4 years.

Any pointers? I'm looking for a gig in Texas or Illinois, so I"ll keep checking the career site.
I took accounting for a year in tech school.
Couldnt see doing that,for the rest of my life.
Go apply at BROWN....good luck

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Now days, it's more like "WOW, you work for that craphole?" If you have a degree, find a company where you will be appreciated....this isn't the place.

Now days, it's more like "WOW, you work for that craphole?" If you have a degree, find a company where you will be appreciated....this isn't the place.

I get it, FedEx isn't what it use to be, but the outside world doesn't see that. The outside world sees high share prices and profits. When I was a handler I had courier shirts, I would sometimes go to customer locations. After work I would go run errands and I noticed that people looked at me differently than when I walked around in my discount tire uniform.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
At the rate we've been going lately, I figure any of that remaining warm fuzzy the public may harbor toward FedEx should be long since exhausted by year's end.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I get it, FedEx isn't what it use to be, but the outside world doesn't see that. The outside world sees high share prices and profits. When I was a handler I had courier shirts, I would sometimes go to customer locations. After work I would go run errands and I noticed that people looked at me differently than when I walked around in my discount tire uniform.

Um. I wouldn't call a comparison with a tire discount uniform something to be proud of. Most people don't even know which FedEx is which, nor do the outsourced Call Center idiots in San Salvador, or Ecuador, or wherever they are from. FedEx is not a good place to work...you can do much better.

DRAisawesome

I don't think we hire many ops mgr's off the street. If we do does anyone know if they are still required to complete the aim process? Internally even if have a degree it is required to complete.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't think we hire many ops mgr's off the street. If we do does anyone know if they are still required to complete the aim process? Internally even if have a degree it is required to complete.

Good point. About 20 years or so ago, FedEx had a hiring blitz of managers from outside the company, and it was a major disaster. The OP would have to go through AIM/ASSPIRE and also get some experience as a courier swing biotch that would perform all of the thankless tasks associated with management.

Learning to falsify reports and lie convincingly would also be skills necessary for success as one of Der Fuhrer's henchmen.

Maui

Only in areas where they can not fill the position. It is exceedingly rare and probably not a place very many people want to work. Even internally it typically takes 2-4 years to promote to management and many SM will not even look at you with less experience. Most SM also want some courier experience, but it is not required.

OP, accounting can look very different depending on the company. At my current company the controller actually makes a lot of management-type decisions and is well-compensated. Maybe you could consider something like a Financial Analyst position. JMO

hypo hanna

Let's just say you were able to come in off the street as an ops mgr in Chicago or Dallas. First your shift will be Tu-Sa and PM operations. (You will actually be putting in way more hours then that. Closer to 60 a week to start. As you learn shortcuts you can start to cut it down to 50 hours.) If you are lucky, you will get support from the other managers in the station but don't count on it. They have their numbers to hit as well and if its you or them, they will happily sacrifice the new guy.
The PM shift will be made up almost exclusively of low seniority employees. Poorly trained and prone to spectacular mistakes. You will not have the hours to give them the additional training they need so you will have throw them back in the truck and hope they figure it out on their own. This process can take a few months for the smarter ones. It can take a year or more for others. Doesn't matter much anyway as turnover is high on both shifts. There is a good chance that within a few years, that employee will have transferred to the AM shift or quit the company. Now you get to start the process all over again of replacing a driver. This is not an easy thing to do. Requisitions, reviews, interviws, scheduling courier class, ordering uniforms etc. will eat up a lot of your time and because its constant turnover, you are never are done hiring. This is just one aspect.
You also will have 1 or more uncovered routes to fill every day. This is done with Either AM driver volunteers or AM draftees. Neither will have the DOT hours to run the whole route so you will have to load up neighboring routes with extra stops that are ready late further threatening your reload operation. This is also where most of your customer complaints come from. AM divers who volunteer and swing drivers don't necessasarily know the route. Drafted drivers are just angry about being drafted and will purposely screw it up. All the customer knows is his pkgs didn't get picked up, again.
This is just a tiny sample of the challenges you will face. None of it would be insurmountable except you are not going to get much support from your Senior manager, corporate or your peers and those may very well stab you in the back to save their own necks.
Maybe you are the exception and can come in off the street without industry experience and be a great ops mgr but that would be beating some serious odds. Right now the washout rate for managers is as high as I have seen it in 30 years.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
OP, accounting can look very different depending on the company. At my current company the controller actually makes a lot of management-type decisions and is well-compensated. Maybe you could consider something like a Financial Analyst position. JMO
Excellent suggestion.

I would seriously think long and hard about entering the 'lion pit' known as FedEx management. Read hypo hanna's post above and then read it again.