Just maybe--

Ghostwriter

Just maybe we (couriers) are not to blame. As we are trained since day 1, to accept all responsibility- Would not some of that "responsibility belong to higher positions? If an employee has a lack of skill (on road) this fact does not necessarily mean that it is the courier's fault. It may very well be: lack of training, lack of leadership, lack of loop cooperation, poor route engineering, and/or stop per hour goal is set too high. All these factors may contribute to make a "gap" report look horrible. Then you will be an obvious focus courier. If your direct manager lacks understanding, and/ or people skills then you are in some real trouble. After a courier misses goal long enough; then your manager, lets say "will take a personal interest in the chosen courier's every move". If everyone is on thin ice (so to speak) there will be no team-work. To conclude: If it all rolls downhill- then the front-line will always be buried. THERE are no more rainbow, lollipop, sunshine days left...

SmithBarney

Of course the gap reports look horrible.. Mgrs won't touch them they "leave it to the engineers" My gap always says bad things about my stem time.. 25 minutes... I told my mgr to fix it or show me how to get there faster(not possible), and my numbers would improve. Granted I haven't seen a Gap report in months, and my I haven't had a check ride in over a year and a half(and never at my current station)

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Just maybe we (couriers) are not to blame. As we are trained since day 1, to accept all responsibility- Would not some of that "responsibility belong to higher positions? If an employee has a lack of skill (on road) this fact does not necessarily mean that it is the courier's fault. It may very well be: lack of training, lack of leadership, lack of loop cooperation, poor route engineering, and/or stop per hour goal is set too high. All these factors may contribute to make a "gap" report look horrible.

No us couriers are NOT to blame.

The whole root of the problem is Fred being so cheap that he doesn't want to pay for training, doesn't want to pay for proper staffing and proper leadership. The he spends money on these ridiculous engineers which we could do without and same for that "wonderful" ROADS program.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

No us couriers are NOT to blame.

The whole root of the problem is Fred being so cheap that he doesn't want to pay for training, doesn't want to pay for proper staffing and proper leadership. The he spends money on these ridiculous engineers which we could do without and same for that "wonderful" ROADS program.

Actually, FedEx spends a ton of money on courier training, the problem is when you come out of class, nothing you learned is used anymore, that and massive amounts of turnover.

SmithBarney

Actually, FedEx spends a ton of money on courier training, the problem is when you come out of class, nothing you learned is used anymore, that and massive amounts of turnover.

Exactly, at prior stations, Being the newly trained CRR, I was able to ask questions and sometimes get changes made. Here none of our current CSA's have gone to official training they were trained by a 20 year employee at the station, not in class, they are doing tasks and reports that haven't been done in years(and aren't required).

I offer suggestions now for improvements, only to be shuffled out the door of my managers office.. The Open door policy is so they can push you out at a whim...
We have a lot of old time couriers who haven't been to courier school in 20+ years things have changed many things aren't done the same anymore. The best I can hope is that they all retire at the same time...

Cactus

That's true.

What I should have been more clear about was the sereve lack of training post courier school and out in the real world.

Route training is a joke and most couriers have to learn it by the seat of their pants while the management wants fantastic numbers.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

what's this route training you speak of? I had to learn every route I've done on my own, with a little help from my co-workers...unfortunately for me, I can read a map so I get stuck with all kinds of crap and no swing pay to go with it.

My station is even considering an FO swing driver position...has anyone else heard of one?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's true.

What I should have been more clear about was the sereve lack of training post courier school and out in the real world.

Route training is a joke and most couriers have to learn it by the seat of their pants while the management wants fantastic numbers.

Manager: "Come to my office after the reload tonight. We need to have a talk".

Courier: "OK".

(Forward to 7pm)

Manager: "You aren't making your SPH on Rt. 222, and you're at 16 SPH. You should easily be able to do 17.5 SPH".

Courier: "I've only been on the route for 5 days!"

Manager: " You were trained, weren't you?"

Courier: "Yes, but I rode with the swing driver 2 days because the regular courier was our sick, and they both run the route differently"

Manager: " I'm giving you a Performance Reminder just to make sure you're aware of expectations".

Courier: "An OLCC!!. What in the hell are you talking about!!!"

Manager: "Watch your tone. Would you like another OLCC for insubordination?"

Courier: "Maybe you should go out there and try to do 17.5 SPH!!"

Manager: "When I was a courier, I could do 20 SPH on that route, so quit complaining (LIE)"

Courier: "I'm not signing anything!!"

Manager: " Sign, or I will suspend you. If you have an issue, you can go to HR"

Courier: " Yeah, right".

franknitty

We have 3-4 couriers in training that'll be onroad soon, and I feel sorry for them. The routes that they will be assigned to are very busy, ball busting, routes ! My station has had a high turnover rate on couriers hired, then couriers quitting. period ! The first thing outta of their mouths are "the manager lied to me" ! What are talking about ? Are you kidding me ? Managers don't lie to their employees !

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

GASP!!! I am AGHAST and APPALLED that someone would INSINUATE that our management doesn't tell the truth???!!!!

Makes you wonder how they act at home...

wife = "did you take out the trash like I asked you too?"
mgr = "I told Timmy to do it."
wife = "he's 6 months old!"
mgr = "not my fault he can't hit his goals, if he keeps this up he'll be gone in a few months!"

vantexan

GASP!!! I am AGHAST and APPALLED that someone would INSINUATE that our management doesn't tell the truth???!!!!

Makes you wonder how they act at home...

wife = "did you take out the trash like I asked you too?"
mgr = "I told Timmy to do it."
wife = "he's 6 months old!"
mgr = "not my fault he can't hit his goals, if he keeps this up he'll be gone in a few months!"

Hey, that would make a great sit-com!! If it hadn't already been used, we could call it "Tool Time", with the mgr being the...oh never mind.

Cactus

We have 3-4 couriers in training that'll be onroad soon, and I feel sorry for them. The routes that they will be assigned to are very busy, ball busting, routes ! My station has had a high turnover rate on couriers hired, then couriers quitting. period ! The first thing outta of their mouths are "the manager lied to me" ! What are talking about ? Are you kidding me ? Managers don't lie to their employees !

That's right.

They just refuse to tell the truth.

Ghostwriter

I (personally) did not receive a different understanding (way back) when I attended and completed courier school. However, I did notice that the focus of expectations seemed to almost "change" over night. I noticed the focus shifted from P1, P1 INTERNATIONAL packages, and safety- all shifted to a change of the importance focus on making service on SO, E2, SPH, and STEM TIMES. It used to be that a courier would go out and do a safe day of work (as that was the expectation then), yet- before I left it was no longer the case. I am surprised that couriers are not held responsible from everything (but not limited) to even the weather... In conclusion, what was the focus of importance 5-10 years ago has taken the extended backseat along with the benefits offered today. Constant change = constant and perpetual confusion.