just passed road test!!!

WorknLateHuh

It seems they have left out the final test for you which is weird, because usually it's in the beginning of the proccess.

You will be tested on your agility and dexterity while shifting/piloting an old abomination of an 800 through downtown traffic with sandwich and map-book in hand, while checking your next stop, and all the while spewing forth the 10 point commentary

ibleedbrown

It seems they have left out the final test for you which is weird, because usually it's in the beginning of the proccess.

You will be tested on your agility and dexterity while shifting/piloting an old abomination of an 800 through downtown traffic with sandwich and map-book in hand, while checking your next stop, and all the while spewing forth the 10 point commentary

no i haven't left that out, if u read through thread u will see i talk about the driver drill, which i have already been practicing on of course it will be harder in crap truck w a sup breathing down my neck but i digress, the last post i am describing my current location in the driving process. first i have to pass both parts of the online precourse assessment w an 85% or better, got the first half passed, then i will be a driver helper for a day, that part is the observation part of the process, finally the actual integrad week long driving school much similar to the hell week navy seals go through lol so yes i am fully aware that it will be a pain, i'm hoping i get through it so i can go through hell career which will be the next step before hopefully getting into feeders eventually i.e heaven lol

ibleedbrown

You are way way way too excited about this job. Check back in a year or so and lets see how gung ho you are are.. Maybe after you go out, work your butt off for a few months, and then you make a minor mistake, and find yourself fired...?? I was the exact same way 28 years ago when I started with UPS. Back then, it was a good job, with not too much stress, just get all your packages delivered and make all your pickups. It has gone down hill since then.. but kid, if this is what you want,I am sure you will do just fine.

i hope i don't get as disgruntled as you, not every driver is. i know drivers in my center who have been doing it for 10-15 years that still maintain great attitudes. after 10 years i will hope to make it to feeders, w 16 years already w company i can retire in 15 years w split pension, half part time half full time. so i will try my hardest to keep my head up for my family. it's a great paying job w great benefits and i gotta do what i gotta do. don't get me wrong i know it wont be a cakewalk and there will be times i want to jump out the window, i just gotta try and keep my self mentally and physically tough. my family is my biggest motivator.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
back with an update for all those interested in the part time - full time process. so i have been studying the 5 and 10 and pre-course pretty much have it nailed down.

just got off the phone with HR the 5 seeing habits will have to be known word for word and i will have to be able to say them out loud, and write them down from memory. they will not fail you because of punctuation but you will have to spell it right and pronounce the words right.

they emailed me a pre-course dealing w the diad that i will have to pass 85% or better. you will get to read a training section and then take an assessment on each section of the test. i will get 3 chances to get 85% or better. failing to do so will result in a 6 month disqualification from the hiring process. HR recommends i complete the pre-course by sometime next week.

if i pass the pre-course i will be go on an observation ride with a driver in my center. i will be given a pamphlet that i will take notes on and basically be a drivers helper for the day at my current pay rate. i will not have to report to my regular shift on that day.

if all goes well i will be put up in a hotel on sunday april 7th to sunday april 14th the classes will be monday through friday.
i plan on having the pre trip and 5 & 10 locked down by the first day so i can test out and not have to worry about them the rest of the week.

i will keep you guys updated on how things are coming along. keep in mind that the things they are having me do might not be the same for other states or integrads, this is just my experience but i'm pretty sure it will be very similar to what you will experience if you go through the process.

any tips or suggestions from experienced drivers and or people who recently went through integrad would be highly appreciated. thanks again.

Thank god I didn't have to do intergad. Half of what you'll learn will go out the window week one when its time to just get it done.

Best advice I ever got from a sup was "you do whatever u need to to make your 30 days. After that u can worry about all the safety drivel and methods BS".

balland chain

Most of those feeder jobs will be gone this contract or next.. and if they are not gone, well we have guys with 46 years in, and they are not going anywhere ! UPS freight ways is already moving loads that should go to feeders.. they are paid much less than a UPSer. Our feeder manager, since arrival 3 years ago, has cut 35 feeder runs...so it is just a matter of time. Contract language should be interesting, will moving those jobs to freightways be negotiated ? or will it be another slime job??? only time will tell....

ibleedbrown

Most of those feeder jobs will be gone this contract or next.. and if they are not gone, well we have guys with 46 years in, and they are not going anywhere ! UPS freight ways is already moving loads that should go to feeders.. they are paid much less than a UPSer. Our feeder manager, since arrival 3 years ago, has cut 35 feeder runs...so it is just a matter of time. Contract language should be interesting, will moving those jobs to freightways be negotiated ? or will it be another slime job??? only time will tell....

i did not know that! that does suck! hopefully some feeder jobs will be around for me to at least try when the time comes. luckily i live in chicago area and that could help w the amount of jobs available.

ibleedbrown

passed the the service labels w a 90% it was a lot harder than the diad test. they ordered my uniforms and are going to confirm my class dates. i go on a full day observation ride w a driver next thursday. i'll basically be a glorified drivers helper for the day but i'll be paid at my current pay rate so that's cool.

thanks for all the encouragement, i will be back w more updates as they come along.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Not sure how you can compare an easy UPS training to what our military elite has to endure for us. Learning to do our job can't be compared to SERE...

ibleedbrown

Not sure how you can compare an easy UPS training to what our military elite has to endure for us. Learning to do our job can't be compared to SERE...

i was joking guys!! integrad is very tough from what i heard, sups breathing down ur neck drilling you making sure u do everything by the book, making sure ur boots are shining and uniforms creased and pleated etc etc. it is not the same school you have been to if you took it more than 5 years ago. now you can be immediately disqualified for not having proper footwear, going over a curb, looking at your right mirror and then your left mirror without looking forward in between etc etc. they are super anal in integrad. the drop out/disqualification rate is like 30% back in the day they would pass u if u showed up and could drive the stick and not roll back when on a hill at least that's what several drivers in my building have told me. these same drivers didn't even know about some of the methods i have to follow, such as no hand over hand steering. didn't mean to offend anyone with the navy seals comment, it was tongue in cheek, since the sups practically want u to be able to drive the truck w one hand in ice cold water while reciting the 5 & 10 lol. i have close friends that are drivers that told me half the drivers in our center would not be able to pass integrad if they had to take it now.

ibleedbrown

my classes have been scheduled for april 29 -may 4 this could actually be a blessing in disguise, now they could put me in my original first choice town. observation ride will still be next thursday, pick up uniforms on monday. hr said now that i have passed the prerequisites an on car sup will let me come in on saturdays to practice driving in yard.

ibleedbrown

went on the observation ride, it was hard work and i learned a lot. the driver i went with is a very hard worker, he has a great memory and is very organized and prepared to the point of practically being OCD lol!! the route we did was mostly the businesses inside an airport w some stops around the outside of the airport but all within the borders of the airport. there is only like 4 loading dock entrances, so we had to load hand trucks and cart them through the airport, wait on elevators, take back hallways and walk through the inside of airport to get to the deliveries and pickups. some stops we had to do multiple trips walking 5-10 minutes to delivery location. 1 stop had 150 pieces, that took 3 trips w 2 hand trucks. i am a very hard worker so we got the job done in a timely manner without running. the route he does, does not have edd so he has to constantly reorganize his truck throughout the day using area knowledge.

the thing that i learned the most besides the safety aspect of safe driving, lifting & lowering, pushing & pullling, slips & falls, rules of backing etc etc was BE PREPARED & ORGANIZED, find out as much as possible about the route, use your memory and try lo learn and remember area knowledge, location point for deliveries, who to get signature from etc etc. Being friendly with customers can save you lots of time, scratch their back they scratch yours kind of friendly. if you are rude to customers they can make your life hell. organization and spending as less time in the back of truck as possible is key! working hard at a brisk pace and planning ahead will keep you moving and get your work done in a timely manner.

things that you cannot control will pop up during your day, in our case waiting on elevators and waiting on security clearances. every route is different and will have different annoying things that will hold you up. you can make up for these things with working hard and at a brisk pace and area knowledge. sometimes your just going to have a nightmare day, you can either grin & bear it and make a plan to help you get through it or be mad and miserable all day.

all in all it was a great experience and i paid a lot of attention and felt that i learned a lot from the driver. there are some things he did that some of you might not agree with but all in all i felt i learned a lot from him.

things that i will do to avoid getting injured and getting into an accident are, work hard and at a brisk pace but dont rush myself to the point of making a stupid decision, such as speeding or changing lanes at the wrong time etc etc. use the 5 & 10 as i'm driving to use safe defensive driving, NEVER SPEED. use the methods when it comes to entering and exiting truck (3 points of contact) i know it sounds annoying but the different safe working methods if used right could help your body a lot.

also, stay hydrated, keep body fit, try and bring healthy snacks to keep your energy levels up through the day. always eat breakfast, don't eat a huge lunch as this could slow you down and cause your body to crash later in day, plus who wants to be looking for a place to crap all day lol

i did some work with the diad and sheeted about 1/4 of stops but even then it was hard to pick it up and remember everything because of the pace we were working at. so i will continue studying my diad training notes and precourse training.

don't think that i am a know it all, there is still so much for me to learn. i think i learned that 80% of this job is mental toughness. it is by no means an easy job and i think if you realize this and are willing to work hard and do your homework about a route, stay safe, organized and prepared etc etc it will make my life a lot easier. i will take what i learned with me on the road and try my hardest to work smart.

BrownieDriver

I went to intergrad recently and figured I’d post a few tips for you/anyone reading.

1. Have your 5/10 memorized beforehand. You can write them down and then read them, that’s what I did, less likely to mis-speak something.
2. Have your pretrip memorized beforehand, in order is helpful. (HR should be able to get you a copy)

Having all of this memorized beforehand really relieves some stress the first couple days.

3. Concentrate on doing things correctly, not quickly. Speed will come with doing it repeatedly.
4. Don’t panic. If you mess something up learn from it and move on. You are going to make mistakes, you are going to be corrected. It’s not a big deal.
5. Don’t argue with the facilitators. If they say you made a mistake acknowledge it and try to do better. At one point or another there is a good chance that they will say you missed something minor when you didn’t. They are human and can mis-hear you. Don’t argue or complain.
6. Actually do your modules. Some of them you can just click through quickly and be done... don’t. The modules that ask questions are the same questions you will have to answer Friday, so pay attention. The modules that have you working in the sim trucks help you practice your movements for when you are doing your sation exercises.
7. The hotel is nice. The food is OK. Don’t expect to do anything besides go to class, eat, and iron your clothes. I’d have time to watch maybe one TV show a night... while I was studying.
8. Get enough sleep. Seriously, at least 7 hours a night so you can concentrate.
9. Get up early. Nothing starts you off stressing more than having to rush in the morning.
10. Learn to iron clothes before leaving. They are really strict about it, especially the first day or two. I’m horrible at ironing , but was mediocre at it by the end of the week. They aren’t going to DQ you if you can’t get it absolutely perfect, mine weren’t.. but do your best and don’t look like a slob.
11. Practice your diad beforehand. If it doesn’t come easy to you practice a lot. We had a couple guys who were having a ton of trouble with it.

All of our facilitators were helpful and nice. While they will correct you, a lot, they aren’t jerks about it. Accept criticism without getting bitter. UPS doesn’t want to pay thousands of dollars to transport and train someone just so they can DQ them. We did have a few people DQ’d, but most made it through. Don’t get too stressed or you’ll make mistakes. Do everything slowly and correctly the first few days and you’ll be doing it quickly and correctly by the end of the week. The first day or two will suck, you will gain confidence through the week. I’ve done a local class (for air driving) too, and this was infinitely more useful, I’m only having a minor panic attack about my first day full time.

ManInBrown

I'd still like to get a straight answer on the ten point commentary. You have to know the entire thing word for word or it's auto DQ? Each point and the full explanation for each one? I really don't see how that's possible, word for word. That is something Rain man would have trouble memorizing word for word. Brownie driver mentioned a few were DQ'd. I really don't see how more then 10% could remember the 10 point word for word. It's one thing to memorize just each point. Example- 4-6 second under 30mph. 6-8 second over 30mph.>proper following distance. But to have the entire explanation word for word?

The 5 seeing eye habits word for word is a different story. I have that down cold. Another question about the 10 point is I am seeing different versions posted here from what HR gave me. Now someone here mentioned the 5 and 10 are done the second day. Now let's say miraculously I was able to memorize the 10 point from the sheet HR gave me. (Better chance of me hitting powerball) And on the first day of school they hand out a slightly different version of the 10 point. I have one night to now try to memorize that version??

I have 10 years safe driving at FredEx. When HR gave me the 5 and 10 at my interview it was followed by "you probably already know these I'm sure". Ummm...No I Don't. I'm not quite sure if that was said because HR thought we use them at FedEx or HR thought I had gotten them online or from a driver and began studying them already. Just not sure what being able or not being able to recite these 10 things does for me? If it's a tool to weed out potential candidates then I can understand. If it isn't then I just don't get it. My memory and organization is impeccable. I know my next 10 stops at all times. Unfortunately for some reason I just cannot memorize these 10 things word for word. Would suck to not qualify because of that. It really would

I'm not really sure which of the 10 point this line is in. Because the version I was given doesn't have it. But someone posted there version here and it was in there. "Using your horn has become a lost art". I mean seriously. LOL. I'm supposed to remember that line. LOL

Last edited: