Just Qualified... Have a seniority question as another driver did also.

A.Spooner

I just finished my 30 day packet and qualified as a driver, however another driver qualified after me with an extension but his seniority date is before mine. I asked my on road supervisor why this had happened and he said he'd look into it as he believed I should have the earlier seniority date. I'll give you some background. I went to driving school in June of 2016 for seasonal(Summer) help, started driving air last year, and then drove all peak season. When they posted the bid sheet this year I was told I would not have to go back to driving school since I had driven quite a bit during peak and they were confident I didn't need to go again. I started my packet on April 11th this year, as did the other driver. He went to driving school last October but they didn't have him drive during peak at all, so they sent him to driving school again in March. I was first on the list to drive when the it was time, as we had 6 open positions. Also to note we both had the exact seniority date for the preload since we started on the same day. Again I was told I was going driving first due to the fact that I had experience driving, and also alphabetically since we had 3 guys total with my same preload seniority date. The other drivers seniority date shows as March 13th since that was his first day of driving school, while mine shows April 11th which was the first day I was on road. Did I get screwed because I didn't go to driving school a second time?

DriverNerd

He did his class and then didn't drive for 3 weeks after? He started to be a full time employee on March 13th, so in fairness to him that should be his seniority date. When you were in driving school, you were there for seasonal or temporary work. He should have been driving as soon as he was done with driving school, though of course UPS doesn't necessarily do what they should be doing. As for qualifying with the extension, would it still bother you if say he started driving before you, but finished qualifying after you? If they move his seniority date it was to be moved to the date he started driving; it would be the same as yours. If you have the same part time and same full time date, your seniority would probably be done in alphabetical order.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I just finished my 30 day packet and qualified as a driver, however another driver qualified after me with an extension but his seniority date is before mine. I asked my on road supervisor why this had happened and he said he'd look into it as he believed I should have the earlier seniority date. I'll give you some background. I went to driving school in June of 2016 for seasonal(Summer) help, started driving air last year, and then drove all peak season. When they posted the bid sheet this year I was told I would not have to go back to driving school since I had driven quite a bit during peak and they were confident I didn't need to go again. I started my packet on April 11th this year, as did the other driver. He went to driving school last October but they didn't have him drive during peak at all, so they sent him to driving school again in March. I was first on the list to drive when the it was time, as we had 6 open positions. Also to note we both had the exact seniority date for the preload since we started on the same day. Again I was told I was going driving first due to the fact that I had experience driving, and also alphabetically since we had 3 guys total with my same preload seniority date. The other drivers seniority date shows as March 13th since that was his first day of driving school, while mine shows April 11th which was the first day I was on road. Did I get screwed because I didn't go to driving school a second time?
Yes

A.Spooner

He did his class and then didn't drive for 3 weeks after? He started to be a full time employee on March 13th, so in fairness to him that should be his seniority date. When you were in driving school, you were there for seasonal or temporary work. He should have been driving as soon as he was done with driving school, though of course UPS doesn't necessarily do what they should be doing. As for qualifying with the extension, would it still bother you if say he started driving before you, but finished qualifying after you? If they move his seniority date it was to be moved to the date he started driving; it would be the same as yours. If you have the same part time and same full time date, your seniority would probably be done in alphabetical order.

No, it wouldn't bother me if he started before me and didn't qualify until after.

battym

it doesn't matter when you qualify for your seniority date..once you qualify,it dates back to when you were hired full time..maybe other locals are different?dont know.