Just violated DOT what to expect now?

8rogan

I’m a preloader that signed a cover sheet and an air cover sheet, so I do everything. Anyways last Saturday I punched out at 4:30pm with 59.20 hours, was watching it like a hawk when I was getting close. Anyways I was told to cover for our air driver on Monday starting at 2:15. Not sure if I didn’t know the rule or if it simply was just over my head and I didn’t think of it, anyways I started with a 33 hour 45 minute break instead of 34 hours. Today (Tuesday) when I got back from the airport they told me about the violation and I was told to expect a letter and they sent me home and had someone else do the baby route I had set for the day. center manager said he had nothing to say to me. Didn’t get my letter yet, what kind of things should I expect other than the letter. Fines with maybe all of my work taken from me?

I’m a preloader that signed a cover sheet and an air cover sheet, so I do everything. Anyways last Saturday I punched out at 4:30pm with 59.20 hours, was watching it like a hawk when I was getting close. Anyways I was told to cover for our air driver on Monday starting at 2:15. Not sure if I didn’t know the rule or if it simply was just over my head and I didn’t think of it, anyways I started with a 33 hour 45 minute break instead of 34 hours. Today (Tuesday) when I got back from the airport they told me about the violation and I was told to expect a letter and they sent me home and had someone else do the baby route I had set for the day. center manager said he had nothing to say to me. Didn’t get my letter yet, what kind of things should I expect other than the letter. Fines with maybe all of my work taken from me?
I honestly don't know if the DOT rules are in effect right now. I know the president declared an emergency in March in a lot of the rules are waived.
But it is your responsibility to keep track of your hours The 10 hours in between shifts and your 34-hour reset

They probably sent you home so you can start to reset again

Indecisi0n

You are helping them out and stuff happens. If I got a letter for that I would never work another second of OT to help them out again. I don't care about the money, I'm a spiteful :censored2:.

8rogan

You are helping them out and stuff happens. If I got a letter for that I would never work another second of OT to help them out again. I don't care about the money, I'm a spiteful :censored2:.

Not sure how everyone else’s boss is, but mine looks at it like he’s helping me make more money and I should be grateful. My favorite is when their last backup guy calls off and they’re absolutely screwed and the center manager comes up and says he did everything he could and he was able to get me a route for the day.

Indecisi0n

Not sure how everyone else’s boss is, but mine looks at it like he’s helping me make more money and I should be grateful. My favorite is when their last backup guy calls off and they’re absolutely screwed and the center manager comes up and says he did everything he could and he was able to get me a route for the day.
It's a mind game and they are good at it. Tell him "thank you for the opportunity but I'm good..." Then watch him start to beg. Your next more after that is an important one. That's when you tell him by not working to go :censored2: himself. He will start to get angry. That's when you know you've won.

8rogan

You definitely need the proper reset you don't want to make two mistakes in a row
you can come in and work preload or unload but you can't drive until you have your 34 hours off

I read a post saying there’s a fine depending on how severe the offense is, what determines the severity the time you went over or the rule you broke?

8rogan

It's a mind game and they are good at it. Tell him "thank you for the opportunity but I'm good..." Then watch him start to beg. Your next more after that is an important one. That's when you tell him by not working to go :censored2: himself. He will start to get angry. That's when you know you've won.

Hey! You’re half right, I did that once and I got a huge lecture on how my work ethic isn’t where it needs to be and he’s never going to qualify me because he puts his ass on the line to get me more time behind the wheel and I piss it away.

Mst3k

The dot does not require a 34 hour reset. If you don't reset then your hours move to a rolling week. This means that hours from over 7 days ago fall off your total. If you get a letter then fight it because that's a clear example of someone else not knowing the rules.

That said keeping proper track of hours under a rolling week can be tricky. I used an app for it when I was utility driver

Last edited:

8rogan

The dot does not require a 34 hour reset. If you don't reset then your hours move to a rolling week. This means that hours from over 7 days ago fall off your total. If you get a letter then fight it because that's a clear example of someone else not knowing the rules.

That said keeping proper track of hours under a rolling week can be tricky. I used an app for it when I was utility driver

wouldn’t that mean my hours from the past 7 days are my new total hours and now I’m violating the 60?

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
wouldn’t that mean my hours from the past 7 days are my new total hours and now I’m violating the 60?
Nope, assuming your still operating under the 60 hour rule all of your DOT hours from Monday 5/4 would have fallen off at midnight prior to you punching in at 2:15 on Monday 5/11

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don't criticize "the Union". I criticize the underhanded deals that go down along with fat slobs basically becoming wealthy. And not earning that money. AND- I have said in the past that perhaps YOU are an honest "leader" (if you even are one). But you refuse the admit that there is any corruption.

I've always tried to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Your pension fund is jacked up, through no fault of your own.

If you have such contempt for your Local leaders.... run for office.

Show everyone, you are a more viable candidate to fix things.

People talk big.

Until it's time to actually do anything.

-Bug-