Just when I thought UPS couldn't screw us any worse... Addison, IL Hub closing for 2 years.

TheFigurehead

...or at least most of it. Eff, 1/9/15.

I received a "WARN" letter today stating the hub is closing 1/9/15 - 11/1/2016. Hat's off to local 705 for letting it happen, too.

Luckily (please read in a sarcastic tone), some of us will be offered work at other hubs in the area. Unfortunately, there aren't many of those within a reasonable driving distance (at least on part time pay). I'm sure the drivers will all keep their jobs, but honestly, I don't see many part timers making $10 - $12 an hour being willing or able to drive 40 minutes a day to work 18 hours a week at that pay... especially not for two years.

Perhaps I'll be one of the lucky few who can go to a close facility, but if not, and for everyone else, we're screwed.

Thanks UPS. Thanks 705.

I'm glad to know all my hard work is appreciated.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I believe Addison is 50+ years old and is in need of refurbishment. From what we heard when it reopens it will be state of the art.
As far as your local "letting it happen" , they had no say in UPS decision.

TheFigurehead

Call the local and get the facts before you go off all half cocked.

Called the local at 3:30. They were already closed. I just reiterated what the letter said: closing 1/15, reopening 11/16, you'll be starting at your new facility 1/12/15, location and bumping rights by seniority, someone will contact you with further info, etc...

sounds pretty conclusive to me.

TheFigurehead

I believe Addison is 50+ years old and is in decimate need of refurbishment. From what we heard when it reopens it will be state of the art.

Sure, it's old, and desperately needs updating. I'm sure it will be great when it reopens two years from now. I'm more concerned with my, and my coworkers continuing employment, at this point.

You are correct that the union has no say... I was angry... but it would have been nice to know before now. Hundreds of people are going to be scrambling to find jobs in the next 60 days. A little notice would have been nice (if the union knew).

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
...or at least most of it. Eff, 1/9/15.

I received a "WARN" letter today stating the hub is closing 1/9/15 - 11/1/2016. Hat's off to local 705 for letting it happen, too.

Luckily (please read in a sarcastic tone), some of us will be offered work at other hubs in the area. Unfortunately, there aren't many of those within a reasonable driving distance (at least on part time pay). I'm sure the drivers will all keep their jobs, but honestly, I don't see many part timers making $10 - $12 an hour being willing or able to drive 40 minutes a day to work 18 hours a week at that pay... especially not for two years.

Perhaps I'll be one of the lucky few who can go to a close facility, but if not, and for everyone else, we're screwed.

Thanks UPS. Thanks 705.

I'm glad to know all my hard work is appreciated.
Yeah I heard about that yesterday. That sucks, but driving 40 min to work as a PTer? I've been doing that for years. At 3am....I can make it to ups in 30min....most days it takes me 45+ to get home in traffic. If they want to keep their jobs, they'll do what they have to do.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Called the local at 3:30. They were already closed. I just reiterated what the letter said: closing 1/15, reopening 11/16, you'll be starting at your new facility 1/12/15, location and bumping rights by seniority, someone will contact you with further info, etc...

sounds pretty conclusive to me.

So, by seniority as per the contract, you can pick the location you transfer to,etc. Sounds like UPS honored what was agreed upon by both sides when it was voted in during the ratification. Look at it this way.UPS is going to spend millions to upgrade your facility (meaning jobs would be fairly secure there in the future). You'd prefer they just close it and send the work to CACH and hand you a pink slip?

TheFigurehead

So, by seniority as per the contract, you can pick the location you transfer to,etc. Sounds like UPS honored what was agreed upon by both sides when it was voted in during the ratification. Look at it this way.UPS is going to spend millions to upgrade your facility (meaning jobs would be fairly secure there in the future). You'd prefer they just close it and send the work to CACH and hand you a pink slip?

I didn't say there was any good option... I said it sucks, and hundreds of people are possibly going to be out of jobs. No one has any idea how many positions will be filled, where, and who, if anyone, will take them. It's as simple as that. Is it good for the company? Sure. Is it good for the people who work at the hub? No.

Why is it so hard to have some empathy for your coworkers?

MikeWhite614

Yeah I heard about that yesterday. That sucks, but driving 40 min to work as a PTer? I've been doing that for years. At 3am....I can make it to ups in 30min....most days it takes me 45+ to get home in traffic. If they want to keep their jobs, they'll do what they have to do.
Agreed, I have been working 6 years as a part timer with a 1 way commute of 35+ mins with no problems.

T

Turdferguson

I didn't say there was any good option... I said it sucks, and hundreds of people are possibly going to be out of jobs. No one has any idea how many positions will be filled, where, and who, if anyone, will take them. It's as simple as that. Is it good for the company? Sure. Is it good for the people who work at the hub? No.

Because just about anyone who has worked for UPS for any length of time has been screwed, abused, and harrassed at one point or another. We survived so will you

Sent using BrownCafe App

fres431

Ya should ask north bay or san Bruno ca (Oakland is planned for 2015 I hear)how they did there closing granted it was only for like 10 months or something but that would give ya better perspective on how it will go down. I've been told by manager that they completely gutted those and re-fabricated all the lines with auto sorters. With your building being :censored2: down for almost 2 years sounds like a demo and rebuild on location. I don't see why a hub would be closed that long if they can do San Bruno inside so quick.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy

In which post of mine do you see failure to empathize for my coworkers?

Wrong thread,sorry

Attachments

• 20141019_115604-1.jpg
    20141019_115604-1.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 279

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I believe Addison is 50+ years old and is in need of refurbishment. From what we heard when it reopens it will be state of the art.
Exactly. Let's bitch about how ups needs to put more money in their centers. Then bitch some more when they actually do it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

So where do you suppose this work is going and who will do it?