Just won a bid for a training route need help with seniority issue

chazzers

Hi y’all I have just won myself a package car route that I bid on 2 weeks ago. Now that February has begun they will start training a new person on my route. I was told by a union representative that I should have seniority over other utility drivers when I am bidding on routes. He said that I am a “priority utility driver”. Is this true? Does anybody else have experience with this situation? I am having a hard time finding anything definitive on this issue. Thanks

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hi y’all I have just won myself a package car route that I bid on 2 weeks ago. Now that February has begun they will start training a new person on my route. I was told by a union representative that I should have seniority over other utility drivers when I am bidding on routes. He said that I am a “priority utility driver”. Is this true? Does anybody else have experience with this situation? I am having a hard time finding anything definitive on this issue. Thanks
Depends on what supplement you fall under. Different rules at different places

35years

Gravy route
You "won" a route, or did you win a utility bid, or did you win a training route?

Best advice for new drivers still trying to make seniority under any supplement...
They have you by the short hairs, don't rock the boat till you make 30 days.

chazzers

You "won" a route, or did you win a utility bid, or did you win a training route?

Best advice for new drivers still trying to make seniority under any supplement...

I was an utility driver of 4 years that placed a bid on a route that happened to be a training route and was the highest in seniority when the bid closed. I worked it for all of 2 weeks then they began training on it with a new utility driver and I’m trying to see if I have seniority over the other more experienced utility drivers ( 6 utility drivers in total)

chazzers

If you want help you’re going to have to post the supplement that covers your area.

I am local 63 sorry I forgot to post that part

chazzers

Why would they even bid a designated training route?

My building is filed with very high seniority drivers who don’t want to really go feeder or retire any time soon so I took the opportunity to take the route, but I’m kind of regretting it..

I was an utility driver of 4 years that placed a bid on a route that happened to be a training route and was the highest in seniority when the bid closed. I worked it for all of 2 weeks then they began training on it with a new utility driver and I’m trying to see if I have seniority over the other more experienced utility drivers ( 6 utility drivers in total)
They can move you off if a training route to train someone else. It sucks but that's the way it is.

barnyard

KTM rider
You are going to have to read your contract and supplement.
If you held a training route in my building and were bumped off for someone to train, you would bid on other work based on your seniority. There are 2 routes in my building held by people with less seniority than me, when I was a cover guy, they could not bump me off a route that I chose to run, whether it was covering a vacation, an extra unassigned route or whatever.
I can guarantee you that your situation is covered in your contract book.

ManInBrown

When the route is being used as a training route you fall back in according to your seniority as a cover driver. You don’t get priority just because you’re a bid driver who’s route was cut. At least in the 177 that’s how it is.

Also don’t forget they have to designate what driver they are using when it is a training route. They can’t flip flop back and forth between a few different drivers. That’s a grievance.

luckster

I'm getting ready to train on a FT route. I'm currently a PT air driver. I was told it can take more than 30 days to qualify bc not everyday you're asked to drive. My air driver supervisor told me that they'll keep my spot open for 30 days just in case. If qualifying for FT driver takes more than 30 days what happens to my air driver spot if for some reason I get DQ and my previous position is already filled by a newbie? What happens then? I worked for a year as a PT air driver.

I'm getting ready to train on a FT route. I'm currently a PT air driver. I was told it can take more than 30 days to qualify bc not everyday you're asked to drive. My air driver supervisor told me that they'll keep my spot open for 30 days just in case. If qualifying for FT driver takes more than 30 days what happens to my air driver spot if for some reason I get DQ and my previous position is already filled by a newbie? What happens then? I worked for a year as a PT air driver.
Don't believe them. Get your 30 in and tell them to friend* off