just wondering about vacation

bigdukes2

i just started a month ago. i was wondering what the max vacation time i can look forward to as a part timer. im talking 5 to 10 yrs down the line. thank you

JonFrum

Well, under New England Supplement Article 61 you get . . .

1 week vacation after 1 year of employment
2 weeks after 2 years
3 weeks after 10
4 weeks after 15
5 weeks after 20
6 weeks after 25

Part-time vacation weeks are a minimum 20 hours pay. More if you normally work more than 20 hours a week.

You also get 5 sick days and 3 personal holidays per year. Any 5 days of which can be combined into and extra vacation week.

Cementups

Box Monkey
what he said but here in Central Pa we get 5 sick and 5 personal. And those 5 days combined for an extra week of vacation has to a week that is available after everyone picks their vacations.

JonFrum

what he said but here in Central Pa we get 5 sick and 5 personal. And those 5 days combined for an extra week of vacation has to a week that is available after everyone picks their vacations.
In New England our extra week is considered a true vacation week. (Assuming we actually take the week off, rather than just taking the money.) We pick it in seniority order at the same time as we pick our normal vacation weeks.

You get five personal days while we only get three. It's common for Supplements to vary on things like this. But I'm wondering if you are shorted somewhere else to make up for it. We get ten paid holidays per year at time-and-one-half, for instance. Do you perhaps only get eight?

brown_trousers

Well, under New England Supplement Article 61 you get . . .

1 week vacation after 1 year of employment
2 weeks after 2 years
3 weeks after 10
4 weeks after 15
5 weeks after 20
6 weeks after 25

Part-time vacation weeks are a minimum 20 hours pay. More if you normally work more than 20 hours a week.

You also get 5 sick days and 3 personal holidays per year. Any 5 days of which can be combined into and extra vacation week.

OUCH!! here on the west coast we get 3 weeks vacation after only 3 years, that's crazy that it takes you 10 years to get what we get in 3 years. we also get the option of combining our 4 personal days with a sick day to make a full week of vacation that we can schedule with the rest of our vacations. I didn't realize there was such a big difference in our supplements

Last time I scheduled vacation (with 4 years seniority) I was able to schedule 4 weeks of vacation.

Cementups

Box Monkey
In New England our extra week is considered a true vacation week. (Assuming we actually take the week off, rather than just taking the money.) We pick it in seniority order at the same time as we pick our normal vacation weeks.

You get five personal days while we only get three. It's common for Supplements to vary on things like this. But I'm wondering if you are shorted somewhere else to make up for it. We get ten paid holidays per year at time-and-one-half, for instance. Do you perhaps only get eight?

That could be the difference. we do get 8 holidays. Wonder what extra ones you get that I don't. HMMMM?!?!?!

JonFrum

When I said above that "We get ten paid holidays per year at time-and-one-half" I ment we get the time-and-one-half pay if we actually work the holiday. Sorry if my poor wording confused anyone.

So we get ten holidays paid at straight time. But two of those holidays are Veterans' Day and Columbus Day. Both are normal work days despite also being paid holidays. So most people work them and get paid time-and-one-half for the entire day.