Keep getting sent home (preloader)

john117

So i've been working as a loader for a few weeks, and literally for the past 2 weeks, except one day, have been getting sent home after 30 minutes. I'm still in my probationary period.
My supervisor says that they have too many people, and told me they hired too many new people recently for the christmas season. Most people I came in with except for a couple have like permanent trucks and don't get sent home but I always bounce between 2 belts and doing different things, for whatever reason. Despite what my supervisor says ,I take it personally and wonder if i'm just bad at my job or something. I've been here for about 4 weeks inlcuding training and usually load 2-3 trucks depending on which belt im on, since some belts are harder or easier, and sometimes I miss a few packages and people have to push them back up. But i've never misloaded... Do you think i'm getting sent home because i'm doing a bad job or because they really have too many people? Also I have a friend who started working a week after me and he hasnt been sent home yet. he's on a different belt though.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are being sent home due to too many hires and not enough volume to keep them all working. Unfortunately, because you are still in your probationary period, there is little to nothing that you can do about it. Keep on showing up, ready to work, each and every day.

GenericUsername

Man, our center has 12 of us p/t cover drivers inside right now because we're constantly 10 to 15 people short on the daily. Rumor has it that this coming Monday is when all the new hires start their training to drive and the mass wave of inside people start as well. Hopefully by next Friday we'll be back on the road.

OP, don't beat yourself up over it. Talk to your preload manager and let them know that you'd like to come in and work reload in the event there aren't enough people. Maybe you can get some hours that way?

DRporch

You are being sent home due to too many hires and not enough volume to keep them all working. Unfortunately, because you are still in your probationary period, there is little to nothing that you can do about it. Keep on showing up, ready to work, each and every day.
do seasonals not have to be followed in order of hire date? or is probation period just pick whoever you want first?

Box Ox

Seniority days stop accruing on October 15-ish, don't they? Think you can still get canned through January, even if you were a permanent PT hire before the season officially began.

W

What The Hawk?

So i've been working as a loader for a few weeks, and literally for the past 2 weeks, except one day, have been getting sent home after 30 minutes. I'm still in my probationary period.
My supervisor says that they have too many people, and told me they hired too many new people recently for the christmas season. Most people I came in with except for a couple have like permanent trucks and don't get sent home but I always bounce between 2 belts and doing different things, for whatever reason. Despite what my supervisor says ,I take it personally and wonder if i'm just bad at my job or something. I've been here for about 4 weeks inlcuding training and usually load 2-3 trucks depending on which belt im on, since some belts are harder or easier, and sometimes I miss a few packages and people have to push them back up. But i've never misloaded... Do you think i'm getting sent home because i'm doing a bad job or because they really have too many people? Also I have a friend who started working a week after me and he hasnt been sent home yet. he's on a different belt though.
I would be livid. At my facility if you're there to work you are garunteed at least 3 hours. Are you a seasonal hire or a permanent hire? I'm assuming perma hire since you used the words "probationary period". Even though you're still in that period...give the union rep a call. They've done things for people who were still in their probationary period.

As far as missing packages goes..i do it too. I've been a preloader for over a year. I also misload sometimes. It happens. Keep your head up, keep showing up for work..maybe even talk to a sup who hasn't been a dick. Lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are guaranteed 3.5 only if you are put to work.

If you ask to leave early you waive the guarantee.

If they tell you to go home they are supposed to pay you the guarantee.

Oak

The good thing at this point is that each time you are sent home after working 30 minutes, it is still a report towards your xx number of working days in regards to the probationary period.