Kennedy assassination....50 years ago

moreluck

golden ticket member
If you were living at the time.....where were you when you heard the news?
I was in my typing class....junior year. The nuns were crying and we knew something bad had happened. The announcement was made over the P.A. system by the mother superior.

Back then, we didn't know about his indiscretions. My mom treated him like a saint.

To me, JFK would not be a Democrat today.

tarbar66

I was in 5th grade when there was an announcement made that there would be a special assembly in 15 minutes. We went to the gym/cafeteria and TVs were set up on the stage area.

The principal made the announcement and then turned on the TVs.

My Grandma, a lifelong Dem was still sobbing when we got home that day.

raceanoncr

Was in Geometry class, flunking for the second time, when school intercom blasted in with news. Don't remember if we were dismissed. Some schools were.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was walking back to school from the local YMCA. We took swimming classes at the Y as the school didn't have a pool-- (or piped in music or air-conditioning or a lunch room that had a cafeteria style menu or a dozen other luxuries the kids have now). If the public knew then about Kennedy and all his extramarital affairs (and the Kennedy family in general) I
wonder how history would have changed.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
When I heard the news I'm pretty sure I pooped my pants. But then again, I pooped my pants the day before that, and the day before that, and the day after.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was outside during recess in the third grade playing softball.
I was pissed about recess being cut short.
I didn't care about JFK but I did enjoy the days off from school afterward.

In hindsight, it was dark day in American history because Johnson became President and ramrodded JFK's programs through Congress.
​JFK was as inept as Obama in getting things done, especially through Congress.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was outside during recess in the third grade playing softball.
I was pissed about recess being cut short.
I didn't care about JFK but I did enjoy the days off from school afterward.

In hindsight, it was dark day in American history because Johnson became President and ramrodded JFK's programs through Congress.
​JFK was as inept as Obama in getting things done, especially through Congress.

So you are just 7 or 8 years younger than me ------that qualifies you as a member of the old farts club too.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'm not a math major, nor am I claiming to be Bill Nye the science guy,but I do know that I was born exactly 9 months to the day!!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
A unique look by Christine Flowers of where I came from and a referance to JFK. I remember my grandmother Bridget MacHale and how proud she was displaying a picture of president Kennedy in her house.I actually was home from Catholic grammer school (sick) they day he was shot.

Our Catholic president, and yours

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was five years old at the time of the assassination, and my biggest memory was that the Saturday morning cartoons were cancelled to show the funeral. I admired JFK later, he was a war hero with his PT-109 career plus he promised to put a man on the moon at the end of the decade. His Presidency will be remembered for the Bay of Pigs debacle, Cuban Missile Crises, and sending American troops into Viet Nam. I think he was conservative leaning, I doubt that he would be a Democrat today with what that party has turned into.

over9five

Staff member
1.jpg

​Good read.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
" I think he was conservative leaning, I doubt that he would be a Democrat today with what that party has turned into."

He preposed major tax cuts in his 1963 state of the union address that were adopted and signed after his death by LBJ. Unheard of by the mindless spenders in contol today !!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was a whole 2 years old at the time so I don't really remember all that much about it. Hard to believe it has been 50 years.

I agree with Scratch that JFK would most likely not be a Democratic today.