Kenworth CNG tractor. How do you like them?

brown67

image-jpg.35437

We are getting a bunch of CNG Kenworths here in Denver and looks like I will get one in the next few days. Right now I'm running a single axle International which is nice, but I like the idea of an air ride, twin axle, newer truck. However, it's an autostick, and there is no back window. It is blocked by CNG tanks. I've heard they lack some power (so do the new Mack and KW diesels), and they take awhile to get going from a stop. How are they to back without a clutch to control the speed? Talked to a guy with a autostick Freightliner and it was a bear to back up. Went too fast and couldn't control the speed. Let me know what you think if you have driven one?

Last edited:

raceanoncr

"No back window"? Ironic.

My last ride before retiring (one month before but they HAD to get it in or I "....wouldn't be certified"), the zupe was gonna ding me because I didn't turn around and look out the back window whilst backing. For one thing, I said I didn't care WHAT he dinged me on, I only had a month left and if they pushed it, it might be shorter than that.

I notified him that I'd been driving vehicles with no back window BEFORE I got to UPS, when I got stuck in a package car, it had NO back window, then, being in sleepers for five years, IT had no back window.

Now, once again, the rules are different.

robot

Has A Large Member
I've driven one a few times. Spotting a dolly sucks with one of those. also one of the rear axles isn't attached to the drive, free spinning. You can get stuck spinning your wheels if you back up over an incline and your powered wheels get lifted up and stuck mid air if that makes any sense.

specter208

I'm not a feeder driver but these are my favorite trucks that I've seen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 427

MoarTape

I've driven one a few times. Spotting a dolly sucks with one of those. also one of the rear axles isn't attached to the drive, free spinning. You can get stuck spinning your wheels if you back up over an incline and your powered wheels get lifted up and stuck mid air if that makes any sense.

All the ones we're getting in NewPA have drive axles. I was expecting tag axles, but maybe they got tired of the towing bills.

brown67

The couple I have looked at were both true twin screws and not a single screw with a tag axle. I was surprised because I heard the 2nd was a tag axle. Couldn't imagine a tag in Colorado during the winter. Not thrilled with my single screw during the winter.

UPS4Life

I hear they can get over 700 miles out one fill, but they have to do a slow fill which takes 24 hours.
I had asked that question about cng and fill and someone that has a triples with cng as their picture chimed in and said it only takes about 15 minutes to fill up because that's what I had heard also it takes a long time to fill.

If you ever come to Harpa make sure you back up slow get out and check the 5th wheel on the 500 line.... Well anywhere for that matter. I wonder how long it'll be until someone high pins and slams the tanks into the front of the trailer.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I hear they can get over 700 miles out one fill, but they have to do a slow fill which takes 24 hours.

No, they have two fill spots. One quick fill and one slow fill. I think they told us 8 minutes on the quick fill and about 30 minutes for the slow fill. And the twin screws we have only the front drive axle. The back one will only brake.

MoarTape

No, they have two fill spots. One quick fill and one slow fill. I think they told us 8 minutes on the quick fill and about 30 minutes for the slow fill. And the twin screws we have only the front drive axle. The back one will only brake.

All of ours have two drive axles so far. Haven't seen any crap tag axles yet. As for the fueling part, I guess we'll find out for sure soon. I've heard so many different things at this point.

govols019

You smell that?
Drive one like the tractor in your top picture and you may have a change of heart!

Bottom tractor is what I was trained in....only a 9 speed.

I'd rather have the International versus a 261xxx Mack..The slightly rougher ride is an acceptable trade off for the much better turning radius.