Kept me up a little bit last night

The Driver

I drive.
One of the guys at my center in his 30-day probationary period got disqualified on Friday. I ran into him as he was leaving the building and he said they told him he was being let go for not delivering a few packages that he brought back to the building. It sounded like he hid the deliveries in with his pickup pieces and didn't sheet them. His direct supervisor found them, apparently.

It's dishonesty and it's hard to believe someone could think they get away with it, but was sort of sad to see him get sent out the door forever. This is a great opportunity for a lot of people, and to see it blown like that... It's heartbreaking in a way. I'll probably never forget how pale he looked as he walked back to his car.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm not a driver so maybe I don't get it... But why would you hide packages that you weren't able to deliver? The one thing I have learned from years with this company....and this lesson obviously extends to life outside of work....don't lie. If you make a mistake, or screw up and do something stupid.. And are confronted about it... suck it up and own up to it! Because if management is confronting you about an incident....chances are they already know the answer.

The Driver

I drive.
Newbie panicked and made a bonehead move. When they are under so much pressure to qualify they sometimes do stupid things.

He seemed pretty nervous to me throughout the process. Talked way too much. Management probably didn't like him as it was. Poor guy, maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

The Driver

I drive.
I'm not a driver so maybe I don't get it... But why would you hide packages that you weren't able to deliver? The one thing I have learned from years with this company....and this lesson obviously extends to life outside of work....don't lie. If you make a mistake, or screw up and do something stupid.. And are confronted about it... suck it up and own up to it! Because if management is confronting you about an incident....chances are they already know the answer.

You nailed it. This will be part of the advice I give to the new guys and gals from now on, emphatically.

I did but both you and I know that back then there wasn't nearly the amount of visibility that there is today.

Resident know-it-all.

Ray Charles level of visibility.

Nobody who was in PC back then can cast a stone by saying they never found a package for a route across town and didn't say "friend that" and toss it back on the shelf.

Cementups

Box Monkey
My loader had the same thing happen. He acted like "what's the big deal?" I said, the big deal is it's 2014 and Suzy HomeShopper has been tracking her packing since the second she ordered it and knows it's out for delivery but 8pm rolls around and Suzy still doesn't have her package. So how do we explain to Suzy that Johnny Package just didn't feel like delivering it? Our bad.

My loader had the same thing happen. He acted like "what's the big deal?" I said, the big deal is it's 2014 and Suzy HomeShopper has been tracking her packing since the second she ordered it and knows it's out for delivery but 8pm rolls around and Suzy still doesn't have her package. So how do we explain to Suzy that Johnny Package just didn't feel like delivering it? Our bad.

NI1 Suzy's elevator wasn't working.

One of the guys at my center in his 30-day probationary period got disqualified on Friday. I ran into him as he was leaving the building and he said they told him he was being let go for not delivering a few packages that he brought back to the building. It sounded like he hid the deliveries in with his pickup pieces and didn't sheet them. His direct supervisor found them, apparently.

It's dishonesty and it's hard to believe someone could think they get away with it, but was sort of sad to see him get sent out the door forever. This is a great opportunity for a lot of people, and to see it blown like that... It's heartbreaking in a way. I'll probably never forget how pale he looked as he walked back to his car.
He probably wasn't cut out for the job.

Re-Raise

I understand some of the short cuts drivers take sometimes. But I don't understand doing this. I just send a misload message in the diad and put "no" when it asks if I can deliver it today.

Why would you hide it in the load? You didn't put it on the wrong truck.

If they send you to deliver it, fine. That is some of the easiest money you will ever make at UPS.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

If this driver wanted the job, best not to flag stops. What a bonehead!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Newbie panicked and made a bonehead move. When they are under so much pressure to qualify they sometimes do stupid things.
I can't say I blame them. We have guys being told they must run scratch then evening OMS is sending them to help people and killin their times.

If you needed just another day or two and had two or three misloads you knew would kill you. You wouldn't try that?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I tell new drivers the same thing. Ive been there done that on doing a few little shady things when I first started driving. You do panic a little bit and do stupid shiznitt. I tell them all like what has already been said above, this is the new ups, they can see everything your doing and wont hesitate to prove a point with a brand new driver. Hopefully best case scenario, he can get his job back and maybe give it another try maybe down the line if they think they want to drive or not. After this incident they will know if they want to drive or not.