keyless entry

retired2000

talked to a ups driver here in syracuse new york today and they have started to put key less start on the package cars. he was told by doing this they can add 10 stops a day to each driver. boy am i glad i retired!!!

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
it was done by computer in IE land
IE Land...where packages are loaded in order and never need to be sorted? Where traffic doesn't exist and garbage trucks never block the road? Where every driveway is flat and customers are waiting by the door to answer it the second the bell is rung? Where pickups are always ready and only weigh 2lbs each? Where apartment deliveries are always on the first floor and a signed InfoNotice is always waiting? Are you talking about that IE Land?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
And once one car in a building has been equipped with keyless entry....every route in that building will operate under the new "allowance" regardless of whether the vehicle that delivers it has had the keyless entry system installed yet or not.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the "logic" of taking an obsolete 25 yr old package car with manual steering and the ergonomics of an iron maiden...and then investing hundreds of dollars to equip it with keyless entry for the 4 or 5 years that it might theoretically remain in service. It sort of reminds me of when my building went ahead and installed Telematics in a couple of old shop spare P-500's....only to yank the sensors right back out a couple months later when they hauled the damn things off to be crushed.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
You guys are going to love keyless entry once all the kinks get worked out! I mean the bulk head door opens AUTOMATICALLY...The SPH I can understand your concerns, but for the convenience factor, the feedback I've gotten from some of the drivers has been overwhelmingly positive.

Converge

You guys are going to love keyless entry once all the kinks get worked out! I mean the bulk head door opens AUTOMATICALLY...The SPH I can understand your concerns, but for the convenience factor, the feedback I've gotten from some of the drivers has been overwhelmingly positive.

Last saturday when I was delivering I had one of these trucks and honestly it is kinda cool with the automatic bulk head door. Had some fun with that :funny:

upsgrunt

Do you mean it opens automatically, or it unlocks automatically?

ikoi62

the bulkhead door unlocks and slides open for you, the backdoor unlocks too but dont open.
the first day the ran 2 trucks with remote start they both broke down by noon.

kingOFchester

Center manager told us already, 10 extra stops to each driver. he was told stops per car must go up, period.

Would it suck to be a center manager? Being told from the powers above what "must" be done.....to fear loosing your job?
Conversation that took place in my building a month back between building manager and several sups and center manager.

Building manager: " I am tired of this, If something isn't done you will all be getting termination letters in the mail, that's right, your not union, I can fire you on the spot".

We had a pretty good center manager up until this year. He ran a good center and the center had good numbers.
The new center manager, looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Very frantic and nervous. Numbers for the center have gone down. Go figure.

Sorry to get off topic....

packageguy

King of chester

Funny you say that, one of my supervisors told me that the district manager said the same thing to his building manager and supervisors. They are walking on egg shell, not a good a building to be in now.

pretzel_man

And once one car in a building has been equipped with keyless entry....every route in that building will operate under the new "allowance" regardless of whether the vehicle that delivers it has had the keyless entry system installed yet or not.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the "logic" of taking an obsolete 25 yr old package car with manual steering and the ergonomics of an iron maiden...and then investing hundreds of dollars to equip it with keyless entry for the 4 or 5 years that it might theoretically remain in service. It sort of reminds me of when my building went ahead and installed Telematics in a couple of old shop spare P-500's....only to yank the sensors right back out a couple months later when they hauled the damn things off to be crushed.

The observed savings for Keyless entry is 6 minutes per driver as has been mentioned here.

The fully loaded wage rate for a driver is about $1 per minute, so keyless entry is worth about $6 per day.

Using 250 days per year, keyless entry is worth about $1,500 per year.

If installation costs $750 it pays for itself after 6 months use.

In the example given, putting it in a vehicle that can get use out of it for 4 or 5 years provides a pretty nice benefit.

kingOFchester

The observed savings for Keyless entry is 6 minutes per driver as has been mentioned here.

The fully loaded wage rate for a driver is about $1 per minute, so keyless entry is worth about $6 per day.

Using 250 days per year, keyless entry is worth about $1,500 per year.

If installation costs $750 it pays for itself after 6 months use.

In the example given, putting it in a vehicle that can get use out of it for 4 or 5 years provides a pretty nice benefit.

I am not buying the 6 minute savings.

Any driver worth their weight, is able to close their eyes and insert key into bulk head door lock. I cant see how it can save any time at all. When I pull up to a stop, right hand shifts truck into lowest forward gear then as I turn off truck left hand sets brake...by this time I have removed key and have the door key in hand as I un latch seat belt, stand turn and key goes smoothly into lock, turn and open bulk head door. It is so routine that there is no down time.