Killing a route as a cover driver

DriverMD

I'm a cover driver. The guy who's route I'm covering normally goes out with 90-100 stops (100 is a heavy day for him) on a very rural area. I'm going out with around 120+ (140 was the most) and coming in WELL before he does. Like, several hours before him. I dont even feel like I'm working all that fast. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I really dont think I could move any slower than I am now. Is this how the you make enemies with your union "brothers"?

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm a cover driver. The guy who's route I'm covering normally goes out with 90-100 stops (100 is a heavy day for him) on a very rural area. I'm going out with around 120+ (140 was the most) and coming in WELL before he does. Like, several hours before him. I dont even feel like I'm working all that fast. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I really dont think I could move any slower than I am now. Is this how the you make enemies with your union "brothers"?

Are you following methods and taking your lunch and breaks? That is the main issue if you are that much quicker.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Just do your job.....unless you are running to management for praise in pointing out how you went out heavier than the bid driver and got done 2 hours earlier.

DriverMD

Following the methods and all. I was observed a few times. Once by the building manager and he said I was doing a great job. Taking my lunch between pickups. I come in early to go through my truck which I feel really helps out with my pace. Other cover drivers were even saying that they'd be out long after I finished.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to love burning up routes when I was a casual. Yeah, it would piss off the bid drivers to no end, but I didn't care----I was trying to get a FT position.

I can recall one day I jumped to cover a country run I used to have. The previous driver had talked poorly about me prior to me taking over the run. He took the run back when I bid off the area. Anyway, on the day in question, I burned the route up----78 stops, which would have taken him until 1830 (or later)----and I was punched out and gone by 1515. The best part is that he happened to be at the bldg picking up his paycheck when I pulled in. I saw him, glanced at my watch and laughed my ass off at him.

To your point-----will it upset the "older guys"? Absolutely. Should that bother you? Absolutely not.

Indecisi0n

Big difference between you to: he has a career here. Your here to kiss ass and hope a job comes out of it. Do the job for a few years then come back to this thread and have a good laugh at your post.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And yahoo for you if you can get it done early. That is a great thing. But you are not to be in your car, before your start time, its called working off the clock. Yes it helps your day, no it is not permitted. Get your air off, then pull over and straighten your car, on the clock getting paid for doing it. Dont give UPS your time free.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I used to love burning up routes when I was a casual. Yeah, it would piss off the bid drivers to no end, but I didn't care----I was trying to get a FT position.

I can recall one day I jumped to cover a country run I used to have. The previous driver had talked poorly about me prior to me taking over the run. He took the run back when I bid off the area. Anyway, on the day in question, I burned the route up----78 stops, which would have taken him until 1830 (or later)----and I was punched out and gone by 1515. The best part is that he happened to be at the bldg picking up his paycheck when I pulled in. I saw him, glanced at my watch and laughed my ass off at him.

To your point-----will it upset the "older guys"? Absolutely. Should that bother you? Absolutely not.

Totally Awesome Dave.

oldngray

nowhere special
Some cover drivers will take extra shortcuts and not do the job as it should be done in order to finish early. As long as you do the job as it is supposed to be done and take your breaks then most other drivers wouldn't care how much under plan you were. If you start messing around and not doing what it normally takes to get packages delivered and do things like make pickups too early then I would have a problem with it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Some cover drivers will take extra shortcuts and not do the job as it should be done in order to finish early. As long as you do the job as it is supposed to be done and take your breaks then most other drivers wouldn't care how much under plan you were. If you start messing around and not doing what it normally takes to get packages delivered and do things like make pickups too early then I would have a problem with it.

All I ask my cover drivers to do is to take care of my customers.

oldngray

nowhere special
All I ask my cover drivers to do is to take care of my customers.

Some cover drivers DON'T take care of customers. They have the attitude of they don't see these customers every day so don't care about screwing them over. I knew some drivers who had a lot of seniority but didn't want their own route because that would mean they would have to start taking care of customers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Some cover drivers DON'T take care of customers. They have the attitude of they don't see these customers every day so don't care about screwing them over. I knew some drivers who had a lot of seniority but didn't want their own route because that would mean they would have to start taking care of customers.

Senior drivers have a way of "training" cover drivers to take care of their customers.