labor issues in new contract

chopstic

After looking through the new contract I am surprised to see that there was not really much of an improvement... at best it was a give/take trade for better benefits in one area, but less in others. As a part-timer I didn't really get to involved in union stuff. $.35, $.50, $1.00 doesn't really matter when your only working part-time hours, its spare change at best. I was REALLY surprised to see that the ONE issue that everyone complains about was not addressed, that issue being "overworking". It seems to be a pretty unanimous thought around here (for drivers at least) that overtime, double-time, or even triple-time pay doesn't compensate for much when you never see your family because you are always working. I did read about the "9.5 hour" language but that is very, very weak and ultimately doesn't float many results. For such a big issue i would have expected it to be a bigger priority in negotiations. What happened?

Bloodybrown

After looking through the new contract I am surprised to see that there was not really much of an improvement... at best it was a give/take trade for better benefits in one area, but less in others. As a part-timer I didn't really get to involved in union stuff. $.35, $.50, $1.00 doesn't really matter when your only working part-time hours, its spare change at best. I was REALLY surprised to see that the ONE issue that everyone complains about was not addressed, that issue being "overworking". It seems to be a pretty unanimous thought around here (for drivers at least) that overtime, double-time, or even triple-time pay doesn't compensate for much when you never see your family because you are always working. I did read about the "9.5 hour" language but that is very, very weak and ultimately doesn't float many results. For such a big issue i would have expected it to be a bigger priority in negotiations. What happened?

Do you realize that there are people that do not want to work over 9.5 and on the flip side there are many that want the overtime??....that's why they can opt in or not. Those that do will have their hours controlled and if UPS violates than there will be finacial consequences to the company, but there are many UPSer's that want that o/t. They can opt off the list and get all the o/t that's available. Why is that weak??

Beat'n Black n Brown

BB....alot of guys do want the o/t ,thats fine but for those that don't i think it will help when no one will listen....if it is used right it will benefit us.....

Bloodybrown

BB....alot of guys do want the o/t ,thats fine but for those that don't i think it will help when no one will listen....if it is used right it will benefit us.....

The same language is in the NMA.....just the opt in and out is not in the 705 language ....is that really a big deal??? I think it keeps people from waffling on the issue.....either you want it or you don't and you can change your mind.

Beat'n Black n Brown

there are some weeks i want the extra work and some weeks i dont.......if i want the o/t i'll go help a rookie or check on a swing driver......so i dont mind the not having to opt in or out....

Bloodybrown

there are some weeks i want the extra work and some weeks i dont.......if i want the o/t i'll go help a rookie or check on a swing driver......so i dont mind the not having to opt in or out....

So, you want o/t when you only want it......right??.... not when the company needs you right??.....and you think that you should file a grievence basaed on that....correct??.....how do you run a business with that thought process???....I see that you are beingn mentored by both red as well as cach !!

chopstic

Do you realize that there are people that do not want to work over 9.5 and on the flip side there are many that want the overtime??....that's why they can opt in or not. Those that do will have their hours controlled and if UPS violates than there will be finacial consequences to the company, but there are many UPSer's that want that o/t. They can opt off the list and get all the o/t that's available. Why is that weak??

Im not a driver yet, so i can't speak from experience here. But from some of the threads I've been reading here it sounds like even those who opt-in are still getting worked in over their 9.5, and sure... they may be getting well compensated for it. Triple time wages may sound nice to some, but some of us literally just want time to spend with our families, and no amount of monetary compensation can replace that.

To top that off. I personally think the 9.5 language is WEAK to say the least. I'm sure there's a lot of people that would love the overtime, but for those of us who do not want it, there should be a decent safeguard.... like a 45hr/work week guarantee.

Bloodybrown

Im not a driver yet, so i can't speak from experience here. But from some of the threads I've been reading here it sounds like even those who opt-in are still getting worked in over their 9.5, and sure... they may be getting well compensated for it. Triple time wages may sound nice to some, but some of us literally just want time to spend with our families, and no amount of monetary compensation can replace that.

To top that off. I personally think the 9.5 language is WEAK to say the least. I'm sure there's a lot of people that would love the overtime, but for those of us who do not want it, there should be a decent safeguard.... like a 45hr/work week guarantee.

I understand how you feel, so I don't think a driving job is the right road to you future, perhaps a 22.3 or you should look elsewhere, no dis-respect to you but if you want the pay benifits and prestige of being a UPS driver 40-45 hours is unrealistic, I wish you the best, but the business we are in requires flexibility in order to stay in business!!

A

Anonymous Alcoholic

So, you want o/t when you only want it......right??.... not when the company needs you right??.....and you think that you should file a grievence basaed on that....correct??.....how do you run a business with that thought process???....I see that you are beingn mentored by both red as well as cach !!

Not being mentored i think ,rather this person is a victim of the abuse that UPS heaps upon their poor employees everyday..... the morning radio personalities here (major market) even make fun of the tactics of "Big Brown" I truly feel sorry for those UPS guys that choose not to be in the union. The company has no reguard for its most valuable resource...ITS EMPLOYEEs Gotta run its 5 O'Clock somewhere!!!! AA

Bloodybrown

Not being mentored i think ,rather this person is a victim of the abuse that UPS heaps upon their poor employees everyday..... the morning radio personalities here (major market) even make fun of the tactics of "Big Brown" I truly feel sorry for those UPS guys that choose not to be in the union. The company has no reguard for its most valuable resource...ITS EMPLOYEEs Gotta run its 5 O'Clock somewhere!!!! AA

How is this person being abused??.....he is not a driver yet, appears that he's thinking about it. I am just giving him my thoughts, and am trying to be honest with him. If you let anyone abuse you, well thats your fault.......I'm not in the union and don't feel abused because I will not tolerate it..........your user name say's it all.......AA !

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
if you want the pay benifits and prestige of being a UPS driver 40-45 hours is unrealistic, I wish you the best, but the business we are in requires flexibility in order to stay in business!!

I fail to see how it is "unrealistic" to expect the company to honor the language of a contract that they entered into.

The contract states that we will work overtime as needed. It also states that the company will not continuously dispatch over 9.5 hours if the driver doesnt want it. Peak season is excluded. It sounds pretty "flexible" to me.

If a driver wants the overtime, then more power to him. We have enough guys who want the work that there is no reason why those who dont should be forced to work 10-11 hours on a repeated basis.

705red

Browncafe Steward
We do not have the opt in opt out language, and the reason is so you can pick to work ot or not to. Its your choice and you have to understand that things happen. Wife loses her job and now you need the ot to pay the bills with one less salary coming in. Kids get sick and now you have extra expenses that you didnt havd 4 months ago, but you cant have the ot because your on the list and must wait.

BB its ok for the company to lay you off because businees goes up and down and thats ok but its not ok for a drivers life to go up or down?

We also do not have the word dispatch in our 9.5 language. Its hours worked so your planned day has no outcome of you grievance.

Chop you are right and your 9.5 language is weak, and i applaud you as a part timer to take the time and read your contract even the articles that dont concern you right now. Remember an informed member is a dangerous member because you know what your rights are.

Bloodybrown

We do not have the opt in opt out language, and the reason is so you can pick to work ot or not to. Its your choice and you have to understand that things happen. Wife loses her job and now you need the ot to pay the bills with one less salary coming in. Kids get sick and now you have extra expenses that you didnt havd 4 months ago, but you cant have the ot because your on the list and must wait.

BB its ok for the company to lay you off because businees goes up and down and thats ok but its not ok for a drivers life to go up or down?

We also do not have the word dispatch in our 9.5 language. Its hours worked so your planned day has no outcome of you grievance.

Chop you are right and your 9.5 language is weak, and i applaud you as a part timer to take the time and read your contract even the articles that dont concern you right now. Remember an informed member is a dangerous member because you know what your rights are.

Red, the contract is a double edged sword a management person that knows it can be more dangerous.....remember you may interpet one way and I another. Then it gets settled at a panel. It's funny how guys like you try to buffalo management by quoting things out of the contract that are complete fabrications or only quote parts that seem to fit what you want. You know the 9.5 language is 3 in 5 right.....so you think your language is better than the nma??....In your local I can work you 3 days for 12 hours (actually more than that If I want per dot regulations) and 9.49 the other 2 days......so tell chopstic how good it is ! !....go ahead explain to him that thats better than opting in and out....where management can dispatch better based on what them employees have ask for in writing. I believe you can opt in and out 2 x a year.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, the contract is a double edged sword a management person that knows it can be more dangerous.....remember you may interpet one way and I another. Then it gets settled at a panel. It's funny how guys like you try to buffalo management by quoting things out of the contract that are complete fabrications or only quote parts that seem to fit what you want. You know the 9.5 language is 3 in 5 right.....so you think your language is better than the nma??....In your local I can work you 3 days for 12 hours (actually more than that If I want per dot regulations) and 9.49 the other 2 days......so tell chopstic how good it is ! !....go ahead explain to him that thats better than opting in and out....where management can dispatch better based on what them employees have ask for in writing. I believe you can opt in and out 2 x a year.
BB if you work me 3 days at 12 hours you now owe me 7.5 hours of double time even with the two ther days at 9.49. Weres the fabrication at here?

The reason i said that our 9.5 language is better than the national is because of the opt in and opt out language and because dispatch does not play a role in your work day.

Bloodybrown

BB if you work me 3 days at 12 hours you now owe me 7.5 hours of double time even with the two ther days at 9.49. Weres the fabrication at here?

The reason i said that our 9.5 language is better than the national is because of the opt in and opt out language and because dispatch does not play a role in your work day.

Red are you saying that you have negotiated a contract in which the company can NEVER work you over 9.5 without paying double time???

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red are you saying that you have negotiated a contract in which the company can NEVER work you over 9.5 without paying double time???
If you are worked 3 days in a week over 9.5 not including the months of nov and dec you will get paid TRIPLE TIME.