Lacking Innovation

vantexan

We had a temporary sr.mgr last year who showed us how to set up unloading area with 3 scanners instead of 2. Worked great, not nearly as hard on us, and we got done faster. New sr.mgr came in, said that's not policy, back to 2 scanners. Last 2 times new engineer visited, including today, said 2 scanners is policy, showed no interest in learning about what we were doing. It seems that the brass has gotten very rigid about how things are done, and aren't interested in trying anything new. Not to mention when they think it's a courier's idea they automatically dismiss it. FedEx, you've officially started down the path to being a dinosaur.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We had a temporary sr.mgr last year who showed us how to set up unloading area with 3 scanners instead of 2. Worked great, not nearly as hard on us, and we got done faster. New sr.mgr came in, said that's not policy, back to 2 scanners. Last 2 times new engineer visited, including today, said 2 scanners is policy, showed no interest in learning about what we were doing. It seems that the brass has gotten very rigid about how things are done, and aren't interested in trying anything new. Not to mention when they think it's a courier's idea they automatically dismiss it. FedEx, you've officially started down the path to being a dinosaur.

Excellent observations. We have gone from being an innovative company to a tortoise-like bureaucracy. And you are so right about nobody listening to ideas from hourlies.

vantexan

Excellent observations. We have gone from being an innovative company to a tortoise-like bureaucracy. And you are so right about nobody listening to ideas from hourlies.

And sadly considering all they've done I don't think many of us care enough anymore to try and make things better. The thing with the unloading affects me directly, especially with the Texas summer about to start. Beyond that, why bother?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I mentioned in the AM meeting the other day "what is the ETA to get roads fixed"
I just laughed to myself. We've had it for over a year and after some dudes put in their corrections, things got worse on their route.

vantexan

I mentioned in the AM meeting the other day "what is the ETA to get roads fixed"
I just laughed to myself. We've had it for over a year and after some dudes put in their corrections, things got worse on their route.

That's a big topic at our station too. I'm betting if we sat down with engineer to get addresses corrected, there'd be new problems with it very quickly.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
And sadly considering all they've done I don't think many of us care enough anymore to try and make things better. The thing with the unloading affects me directly, especially with the Texas summer about to start. Beyond that, why bother?

Most of us these days are just going through the motions. There's no reason to do anything more than the minimum and this company has brought on this attitude themselves.

Cactus

So sad and so true.

It'll only come back to bite them in the ass someday then it'll probably be too late.

Cactus

Yeah it's not like we'll be rewarded for our efforts.

You got that right.

Our most successful employer in this area reached tremendous growth in part due to their employee suggestion program which paid some handsome rewards to employees. But with the oversized egos that run this company from the Memphis ivory towers they would certainly balk at this kind of concept with their narrow minded attitudes.

Too bad for you Fred. We could be much better.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is new? I can't ever remember hearing the company use any couriers idea.

A long time ago, the company actually valued the opinion of hourlies. That didn't last long. I just read that UPS is working on a new package car design with plastic body panels that result in a vehicle 40% lighter and very fuel efficient. FedEx is working on a cardboard version that will save 90%, but it doesn't work well in the rain, so it's back to the drawing board.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Since when was FDX worried about rain?
Heck, I loved the 50 in 10 plan (or, whatever it was called) to reduce damage claims.
Yeah, step one, get the cans and trucks to stop leaking water. That should reduce damage claims by, oh I don't know, 100%

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Since when was FDX worried about rain?
Heck, I loved the 50 in 10 plan (or, whatever it was called) to reduce damage claims.
Yeah, step one, get the cans and trucks to stop leaking water. That should reduce damage claims by, oh I don't know, 100%

You got that right. The worst damage usually occurs when stuff gets wet. I've seen stations that will load a container with an inch of water in the bottom, just to get the freight out. Nobody cares enough to broom or squeegee them out or tip them and get rid of the water. For a while, they were wrapping cans in plastic sheeting, but I haven't seen one of those in a long time. If you're a customer, just hope that your box isn't on the bottom row.

vantexan

This is new? I can't ever remember hearing the company use any couriers idea.

When I started in '86 they had a suggestion program that paid big bucks to some regular employees. Can't remember what it was for, but someone in the Memphis Hub got something like $25k for an idea that saved the company serious money. You've been critical of our criticism, but you just haven't been around long enough to remember the company we knew. Puts a different perspective on things.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When I started in '86 they had a suggestion program that paid big bucks to some regular employees. Can't remember what it was for, but someone in the Memphis Hub got something like $25k for an idea that saved the company serious money. You've been critical of our criticism, but you just haven't been around long enough to remember the company we knew. Puts a different perspective on things.

That is completely true. I actually know someone who received $25,000 for a suggestion when we had the DADS system. He's stil with FedEx and now hates the company. Go figure.

LTFedExer

Possibly, but that doesn't mean what you say is any more, or less, correct. I say it the way I see it. I've stated, more than once, that there are things I don't like about the company and should/could be done differently. But, I also realize I don't pay FedEx's bills. It's easy to sit here and say pay the couriers more money, buy new trucks, etc etc when you're not the one paying for it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Possibly, but that doesn't mean what you say is any more, or less, correct. I say it the way I see it. I've stated, more than once, that there are things I don't like about the company and should/could be done differently. But, I also realize I don't pay FedEx's bills. It's easy to sit here and say pay the couriers more money, buy new trucks, etc etc when you're not the one paying for it.

The difference between Federal Express and FedEx is basically night and day. The former was a good company to work for, and the latter is not. If you haven't been around for at least 15 years, you'd have no idea what we're talking about.

vantexan

Dude, FedEx still managed a billion dollar profit in a bad economy with high fuel prices. They've done much better when the times were good. I've never demanded they give me UPS pay or benefits. All I've asked for is they top me out in a reasonable time and to honor the choice we made when they asked us to choose between the traditional pension and the PPP. Instead they've chosen to enrich themselves at our expense. And before someone says it, if they had to go to the PPP, they could've been more generous. And yet you defend them. You do realize that profit is what you have AFTER you buy the trucks, etc and everything else?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Fred is experimenting with inflatable managers. When you have a problem, you just press a button, a manager pops out, and then a recorded voice says "I'll have to get back with you".