Laid off driver working as PT supervisor

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Last April our of our PT supervisors went into FT driving. As of last Tuesday he's bumped back onto the Preload - but back to his role as a PT supervisor. Let's just say that he's trying to make a name for himself. Anyway, it would seem like this is a conflict of interest; e.g. IBT member disciplining other IBT members, although I know in some companies in which management is unionized this is common. I've talked with the boss and he only says 'don't worry about it, he'll be a FT on-car supervisor later this year, anyways.' Thoughts?

Last April our of our PT supervisors went into FT driving. As of last Tuesday he's bumped back onto the Preload - but back to his role as a PT supervisor. Let's just say that he's trying to make a name for himself. Anyway, it would seem like this is a conflict of interest; e.g. IBT member disciplining other IBT members, although I know in some companies in which management is unionized this is common. I've talked with the boss and he only says 'don't worry about it, he'll be a FT on-car supervisor later this year, anyways.' Thoughts?
Smells fishy.....undercover spy??

oldngray

nowhere special
A sup that got abused as a seasonal driver then got sent back to his old job of PT sup? Sounds like it was mostly the company using him and he was never planning to be a regular FT driver.

UPSGUY72

Call your BA and File a grievance. Don't worry about my :censored2:.. Your management team will tell you anything what happen is a month when he is back driving as a FTimer.....

Stop getting jerked around..... Because that is what is happening.....

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
A sup that got abused as a seasonal driver then got sent back to his old job of PT sup? Sounds like it was mostly the company using him and he was never planning to be a regular FT driver.

He wasn't seasonal. He's a regular, FT driver who hasn't worked the sort since April.

Management uses the excuse that he'll be an on-car supervisor later this summer, but I can guarantee that he'll be working as a driver during the time periods local schools are out (mid-winter & spring breaks).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I fail to see what's the issue and how it is a grieveable condition.

Also, advise the P/T Sup to withdraw from Union so he does not owe back dues.

upschuck

I would think that since he is not management, they are not 'work instructions', and don't need to be followed. That would be an interesting grievance hearing if they gave you a warning letter or time off for not working as instructed by an hourly. Sounds like a weird situation.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I would think that since he is not management, they are not 'work instructions', and don't need to be followed. That would be an interesting grievance hearing if they gave you a warning letter or time off for not working as instructed by an hourly. Sounds like a weird situation.

I like it. It might even be worth trying.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Agree with upstate. No one listens to, or cares about a pt sup. would be a bad ,bad idea unless determined to go into ft management. Coming back as a driver a lot of people would lose all respect for you. At least I would.

oldngray

nowhere special
I would say this thread title is backwards. It was a PT sup who spent some time as a FT driver, not a FT driver who was laid off and is working as a PT sup. His primary job is to be a sup.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Back in the day that was the a path to progression. They were required to drive before advancing into FT mgmt.

Where I'm at HR still requires all perspective FT management candidates to drive at least seasonally.

But the issue is that he's still a FT, unionized driver but he's currently working as a PT dispatch sup... and he likes to get into it with people. Just seems like a conflict of interest.

I would say this thread title is backwards. It was a PT sup who spent some time as a FT driver, not a FT driver who was laid off and is working as a PT sup. His primary job is to be a sup.

His primary job is FT driving. He's a regular, full-time driver that's currently ALO and bumping back onto the Preload as a PT sup.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Where I'm at HR still requires all perspective FT management candidates to drive at least seasonally.

But the issue is that he's still a FT, unionized driver but he's currently working as a PT dispatch sup... and he likes to get into it with people. Just seems like a conflict of interest.

He is creating the dispatches for his former "co-workers"? That is a huge conflict of interest.

oldngray

nowhere special
He could bump back in as a PT hourly but I don't see how he could be a sup. If he does go into management then he should not be able to go back to FT driving position.