Laid off for the week?

Reddriver

Friday of last week I received a notice in my diad that I would be laid off the week ending 2-13-10, and to call Friday the 12th to find out if I will be working the following week. I decided to use this time off to take a trip out of state to visit friends and family. Today I get a voicemail from my on car sup that he wants me to work tomorrow. Do I need to drive 300 miles home tonight to be at work tomorrow when I was told that I would not be working this week?

thanks for the help.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think you're probably ok to stay where you are at, but I would:
1. Get in touch with a shop steward or BA to make sure you're on solid ground per your supplement.
2. Give your on car a call back letting him know that will/won't be in tomorrow.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If you are a seniority full time employeee, you have the right to displace 2 junior part time employees when you are not driving, you could be an air driver, preloader, hub employee...
Any two part time shifts if you want.
As for the call, You will not be in any trouble if you do not call.

bluehdmc

Dead battery in cell phone?
Took advantage of the week off, went away and realized you left your cell phone at home? Besides how did we get along with out cell phones. I'm not sure if it's in the master agreement or my locals supplement but it mentions "Western Union telegrams" which I don't think exist anymore. It's doesn't say anything about voicemail.

P

pickup

Friday of last week I received a notice in my diad that I would be laid off the week ending 2-13-10, and to call Friday the 12th to find out if I will be working the following week. I decided to use this time off to take a trip out of state to visit friends and family. Today I get a voicemail from my on car sup that he wants me to work tomorrow. Do I need to drive 300 miles home tonight to be at work tomorrow when I was told that I would not be working this week?

thanks for the help.

I assume you are going to try to get an unemployment check for that week of being laid off. If so, there is a requirement that: (and I pulled the following from nj's department of labor website pertaining to unemployment insurance)

You must be available for work: This means that you are ready to start a job immediately. It also means you have transportation and do not have to remain at home to care for children or other dependents. You must be available for work every day of the week for which you are claiming benefits.

Be prepared for ups contesting that week with your dept. of labor if you didn't show up today and if you try to put a claim in.

klein

Für Meno :)
I assume you are going to try to get an unemployment check for that week of being laid off. If so, there is a requirement that: (and I pulled the following from nj's department of labor website pertaining to unemployment insurance)

You must be available for work: This means that you are ready to start a job immediately. It also means you have transportation and do not have to remain at home to care for children or other dependents. You must be available for work every day of the week for which you are claiming benefits.

Be prepared for ups contesting that week with your dept. of labor if you didn't show up today and if you try to put a claim in.

hmmm, we have a minimum of a 2 week, waiting period here. Meaning first 2 weeks of unemployment is zero ! And thats only if being laid off.
All other reasons, like wrongful dismissal, or moving out of town, etc, is a 4 week period.

Reddriver

I have not yet registered with unemployment this year, I was going to use this as my waiting week for which I will not be compensated. Will UPS have a problem with that?

hmmm, we have a minimum of a 2 week, waiting period here. Meaning first 2 weeks of unemployment is zero ! And thats only if being laid off.
All other reasons, like wrongful dismissal, or moving out of town, etc, is a 4 week period.

What are the time allowances for stroking it on the government dime for 6-7 months?

As far as Reddriver, you are not on call. Enjoy the week off,call them on Friday.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Here in NE, if you are laid off for 2 or more weeks, and started before a certain date ( I think it's roughly 91' not sure), then your pay rate as a layoff inside reverts to your PT rate. Talk to the union if you have any doubts, Might want to consider working if this type of language would affect you.

bluehdmc

I have not yet registered with unemployment this year, I was going to use this as my waiting week for which I will not be compensated. Will UPS have a problem with that?

I believe in NJ your waiting week starts from the day you register. UPS shouldn't have a problem with your not registering. If they only offer you work 1 or 2 days a week you could file a partial unemployment claim. That would work until your earnings at UPS exceed your unemployment. Then even if you aren't getting 5 days you don't get anything from unemployment.